Might and Magic I playthrough complete

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Might and Magic I playthrough complete

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Dec 2011, 20:12

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally finished my Might and Magic I DOS playthrough (it took me more than 2 years! Seriously!). In case you wish to watch it, here's a link to both playlists (because one was not enough!):
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=viewall
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=viewall

So yea, I'm glad to be done with that. Also, I have already completed two Heroes Chronicles games and currently playing through the third one.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm not very active on the forums lately due to the fact that I have lots and lots of work to do... Hopefully I can get back during the holidays.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 10 Dec 2011, 21:37

Much appreciated! I'm playing MM1 for the first time at the moment. I started my game almost 2 years ago and am barely half-way trough, barely level 9!

Hopefully you're gonna be playing MM2 for the PC next.
And please create brand new level 1 characters (because that's what I plan to do, starting at level 7 and with high stats feels wrong)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 10 Dec 2011, 21:48

Congrats and thank you very much. I often watched a couple of those vids to jog my memory. Replaying MM1 would be grueling - tough game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Dec 2011, 22:10

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Much appreciated! I'm playing MM1 for the first time at the moment. I started my game almost 2 years ago and am barely half-way trough, barely level 9!

Hopefully you're gonna be playing MM2 for the PC next.
And please create brand new level 1 characters (because that's what I plan to do, starting at level 7 and with high stats feels wrong)
Heh, I know the feeling :)

Yes, I will be playing MM2 later on, but first I need to finish HC: MOTE and then also Unreal (I will have the Unreal series played interchangeably with the MM series, so that I wouldn't get bored of the same genre).

No, I'll keep my characters. For one, it will actually be more challenging, considering that my party is all male, and some of the creatures in the game are immune to them. For two, it will show that importing things from MM1 to MM2 actually works. And for three, that will allow me to advance in the game faster, I don't really want to spend 2 more years on MM2 as well ;)

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 12 Dec 2011, 06:44

High stats are relative (I don't think I had a single person with more than 25 in anything), especially since during MM2 you get free stat boosts that take care of anything repeatable all the way to a cap of 100 (I think) such as spinach, treadmill, etc. The extra levels don't really mean much other than you don't have to farm the home city for xp. When I did the import it worked with DOSBox except that I had to manually drag and drop the main file import from my MM1 folder to my MM2 folder.

I don't think I could advise anyone to try MM1 without a help guide. That game was brutal and its the only MM game I haven't played multiple times, NO AUTOMAPPING! No quest guide. No direction. No idea if you are heading in the right direction for anything.

No characters are immune to male or female attacks that I can remember, but in MM1 there is a nasty gas chamber that every time you step over it half your hp from male characters goes away. Guide I read when I played said use all female characters to avoid this.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Dec 2011, 08:36

Yea, and what I also didn't mention is that in MM2, there is a difficulty setting (strange that it was never used again in any other MM game, ever), so if you feel that the game is too easy, you can increase the difficulty.

Arret, there are enemies immune to those attacks in MM2, but not in MM1. RPGenie had some problems with that during his MM2 playthrough, but he still had members of both genders, so it wasn't that difficult as it will probably be for me.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 13 Dec 2011, 12:37

In present days spend two years to play something like that? hehe :|

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Dec 2011, 15:11

Why yes, I'd take MM1 over all kinds of overplayed games of today any day :) At least it involves proper challenges and actually makes you use strategy to progress through the game. Not to mention that the game world is huge, even when compared to other games in the present. And mind you, I didn't play it intensively, only half an our a week on average.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 14 Dec 2011, 02:34

I'm pretty sure there are 2 difficulty settings in MM4/5, but they are set at the start of the game and cannot be changed without restarting. MM2 is the only one that can be changed as you go along in the series.

MM1's best feature is the same as its biggest weakness, the openness of the world. It means that there is a whole lot to explore and find, but it also means that finding what you are looking for can get very time consuming (especially considering the 1 quest at a time rule), so more guides are always a welcome addition.

At half an hour a day, it could easily take a player a couple years. I think it took me a couple weeks going 4-5 hours a day on it. Without a guide, the game could easily take a year or more due to having to map out the geography. As I recall the original game came with a bunch of paper to let the player map the locations.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 15 Dec 2011, 18:21

I played the GOG version of MM1 which comes with a cluebook containing maps along with many other useful hints. In addition, I also found a faq on gamefaqs which I relied on quite a lot.

Before even starting, I read a bit about the game and the amount of time I should expect to spend on it and I was nowhere near prepared to spend THAT much time on it, haha. Besides, it took me about one hour of focused playing before I actually managed come to grips with the game.

I was actually making good progress on my project of playing through the entire MM and HoMM series, but GOG and their low prices.... I've purchased well over 25 games from them the past six months so I've gotten a little distracted. So far I've played through MM1-6 and HoMM 1-2, currently working on HoMM3, but like I said have gotten a little distracted by other games recently. I will of course be completing the entire series eventually, but it might still take a while.

I'll be checking some of your videos.

vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vmxa » 16 Dec 2011, 14:06

Homm3, with all its addons, is pretty long. Did you also get all the Chronicles for Homm3? They were fairly short.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Dec 2011, 15:23

Yeap, I have all of them. And yes, HoMM3 is indeed fairly long, but that's to be expected from what was the best selling game of the whole MM series.

xlnt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xlnt » 04 Feb 2012, 13:53

hi all

gratz to GreatEmerald - nice LP ;) your voice needs acting lessons, but i enjoy the LP when nothing much to do at work :)

here is a question - what is amber gem in m&m 1 for? it sells for 250 gold, i have two - should i just keep one for some feature quest?

question 2 :) what is flying carpet used for?

thanks
Last edited by xlnt on 04 Feb 2012, 14:41, edited 2 times in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Feb 2012, 14:31

According to the cluebook, it's just for getting some extra money.

Oh, and I just finished Heroes Chronicles: Masters of the Elements, so now I have three HC games complete.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 04 Feb 2012, 15:34

The difficulty setting was used in both WoX games.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Feb 2012, 18:42

xlnt wrote:question 2 :) what is flying carpet used for?
Flying, of course. Same as the Fly spell. Also gives +2 AC if equipped.

xlnt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xlnt » 04 Feb 2012, 19:28

thank you :)

i'm at lvl 5 heroes and will move out of c2/sorpigal to do 1-2 quests, find new items and post new questions pro'bly :)

i played mm6 in 1998 and i enjoy Rogue - like rpg like Angband and mm1 is just a wonderful game.

here comes a question:

which is better as a weapon

a) +2 short sword
b) +1 long sword
c) flamberge

the question can be also translated as - what the +1 gives :)

p.s. - nevermind that - found a very nice read here: http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/PC/mi ... agic_1.txt

p.s.s.

The Crazed Wizard Cave - i tried to beat it, i'm sure i killed every M and battled every M1 at least once, but the quest is not completed. Is there a trick to the endless battles with M1 monsters?

thanks!

Return to “Might and Magic”