Back to heroes III, suggestions?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Back to heroes III, suggestions?

Unread postby Bowerbank » 05 Dec 2011, 00:35

I decided to give the heroes 6 demo ago and I think it felt really like the old heroes III, which I was really glad about. I pre-ordered heroes 5 before but I literally gave it 20minutes of my time and then never played it again. But to be honest I won't be buying 6 because I really don't think the graphics style suits it. I think it should be darker and away from the cartoon look they are going for. So I decided to go back to heroes 3 to give that ago again, and I'm hooked.

Just played through the official mandate of heaven scenario and really enjoyed that, I'm sure there are many as good as it but are there any stand out official scenarios I should give a go? And how about user made maps/campaigns, can anyone point me in the direction of some great user made scenarios?

Cheers!

Star King
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Star King » 05 Dec 2011, 04:07

"Sander's Folly" and "Running with the Devil" really stand out to me as among the greatest maps (the former may be a bit text-heavy for people who don't care for story though). They can be a bit difficult if you aren't too good, though - not sure how good you are.

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 05 Dec 2011, 21:53

Thanks, now trying out Running sander's folly. Looking forward to it

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 06 Dec 2011, 06:45

The best place to enjoy the glory of Heroes III is of course HC. I think you have missed the absurd amount of mods created and some custom Wake of Gods scenarios which give much more interesting experience than old RoE.

As to the maps, they are all at Maps4Heroes, each with rating and comments.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 06 Dec 2011, 07:58

Warmonger wrote:HC
HC = Heroes Chronicles?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 06 Dec 2011, 17:42

I think he means this:

http://heroescommunity.com/

but his fingers swapped. Too much programming obviously.

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 07 Dec 2011, 06:33

Thanks a lot, yeah I had missed that Wake of Gods I saw a youtube video of it yesterday after searching around for some maps. I will give it a go later tonight and have a browse on HC.

Druski
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Druski » 05 Jan 2012, 00:05

Just a shameless plug here, if you're remotely interested in Lord of the Rings and wish to find the One Middle Earth map to rule them all, a new map was just released thats without a doubt worth a try. How do I know? I'm one of the co-creators of it.

Though I am obviously bias, I do believe this to be one of the best maps made. Its on a grand scale, over 10 years in the making, designed for 1-3 co-op players and it most certainly can be a challenge.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/search2 ... ion=search

Balinii
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Balinii » 05 Jan 2012, 20:29

That Middle Earth map looks nice I gotta get it Cheers man, I always go to Poland for holidays to my family so I'll have something to play with my uncle who got me into the series (Now we have about 1500+ hours played together and done all of the co-op and most of the single player ones) but yeah thanks for the map man really appreciate it and its nice to see that there is still people playing the argueably best part of the Whole series.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 19 Jan 2012, 21:29

Bowerbank wrote:Thanks a lot, yeah I had missed that Wake of Gods I saw a youtube video of it yesterday after searching around for some maps. I will give it a go later tonight and have a browse on HC.
It is quite simple - you look first at the upgrades WOG delivers and then you decide whether you like them or not. I personally thought that much of the 3 level upgrades on creatures were lame, that's why i never cared for WOG.
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 20 Jan 2012, 21:40

Like WoG was about upgrades...the truth is that you can change whatever creature you wish in one click, while with SoD you need to release a full LOD, good luck with that. And now ERA II is out, which is a WoG explosion, MODS handling, no more custom install, no more duplicate folders, a dream for mod makers.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 21 Jan 2012, 06:53

Some people want to have many options, some want just the game to play on its own, like a movie. Life is such.

WoG is great if you use it wisely and turn all the options off in first place and only then check if some of them are good for you.
Also, it allows to completely change the gameplay on custom maps.

HoTA seems to be perfect choice for classic Heroes fan, but it comes only in Rusian version at the moment.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 21 Jan 2012, 07:39

HoTA will remain in russian for the SoD version-we got confirmation of this-. Only the WoG version will be translated, so speaking of a great SoD addition is premature, at least for the non russian community.

And about WoG, I believe is a good tool to improve/fix the editor restrictions and AI behavior. For once, we can play a map without worrying about stupid spawn, plagues, AI not moving, overflow, time limits, armies setup. Just play it, the scripts take care of what 3DO forgot to do.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”