Official HoMM VI Reviews.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

If you were to review HoMM VI, What rating would you give to the overall experience?

Outstanding!
11%
I like it!
53%
Meh.
20%
I did not like it.
7%
Terrible!
9%

Total votes: 45

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Oct 2011, 12:23

Agreed. It even doesn't look as if the guy really played the thing at all.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 27 Oct 2011, 09:24

A really shallow review, but at least he was positiv. I agreed on alot of things he said.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 27 Oct 2011, 16:31

mysticc wrote:I've played 6's. From what I've seen of this game on youtube, it doesn't look like a 6.
That's precisely your problem.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Oct 2011, 19:24

http://www.ztgd.com/reviews/15610/might ... heroes-vi/ 8.5
+ Deep, strategic experience
+ Lots of customization
+ Tons of content
+ Fantastic music and sound effects

- AI can be brutally difficult
- Reputation system is a bit thin
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Oct 2011, 19:37

Metathron wrote:http://www.ztgd.com/reviews/15610/might ... heroes-vi/ 8.5
:rofl:

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 27 Oct 2011, 20:16

Avonu wrote:
Metathron wrote:http://www.ztgd.com/reviews/15610/might ... heroes-vi/ 8.5
:rofl:
Actually, he is right. Games which require you to think are sooo 80's.

I want....no, I DEMAND my awesome button. I want to press a button and watch as something awesome happens.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 27 Oct 2011, 21:12

I for one stopped taking this review seriously right about here:
Might & Magic: Heroes VI is a relic from the days when games didn’t bother with internal consistency or inherent logic. Instead of being set in a world that conforms to any particular overarching concept, Heroes asks “Wouldn’t it be great if an army of orcs and cyclops fought against a bunch of paladins and angels?” The answer has been an emphatic “Yes!” for more than 15 years, ever since this strategic series spun off from the Might & Magic role-playing games, themselves glorious, messy pastiches of fantasy tropes.
Whoever wrote this doesn't even have the slightest knowledge of the franchise he's talking about, let alone its HoMM portion.[/quote]
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 28 Oct 2011, 01:07

You're right Xel, he does sound like he's drunk and on drugs.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 28 Oct 2011, 01:44

mr.hackcrag wrote:
mysticc wrote:I've played 6's. From what I've seen of this game on youtube, it doesn't look like a 6.
I've played 6's. From the now 40+ hours I have personally played of this game, it doesn't feel, act, or look like a 6.

I disagree with some of the design decisions - while I have had absolutely no problems with it, the mandatory Uplay/Conflux stuff is offputting to me - but this game definitely warrants at least an 8.

Also, XEL II: I totally agree with your assessment of that paragraph. If there's anything this series has NOT lacked, it's internal consistency and an overarching concept.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 28 Oct 2011, 18:17

Tale wrote:
mr.hackcrag wrote:
I've played 6's. From the now 40+ hours I have personally played of this game, it doesn't feel, act, or look like a 6.
I beg your pardon for my ignorance. Would you explain to me what a 6 should be like and why heroes VI does not feel like a 6?
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Oct 2011, 11:58

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 01 Nov 2011, 03:16

arthureloi wrote:
Tale wrote:I've played 6's. From the now 40+ hours I have personally played of this game, it doesn't feel, act, or look like a 6.
I beg your pardon for my ignorance. Would you explain to me what a 6 should be like and why heroes VI does not feel like a 6?
To me, a 6 is either thoroughly barely-better-than-average game or a game that has some good points but is fatally flawed because of one reason or another that makes gameplay either obnoxious or impossible.

Dungeon Siege 3 is one game that comes to mind when talking about 6s; my friend and I bought the game to play together, and soon discovered that multiplayer in that game was really, really annoying. The multiplayer system was localized to whoever hosted the game. Thus, it put both players under the same camera centered only on the host (player one for consoles). But if I was fighting some enemies and he, player one, moved too far away, I would literally get teleported to him, enemies be damned. Moreover, all characters were saved by player, NOT by console or computer; I join his game as Katarina, I level HIS Katarina. If I wanted to level my own Katarina, I'd have to start my own game. It was just inane how that system was implemented and it tanked score of the entire game for me. Another example of a 6 would be Star Trek Online, whose land fights were so poorly implemented that people would dread finding one (although I have not played it, so take this one with a grain of salt).

This game is not a 6 to me because it is not "thoroughly average" and does not have crippling flaws. Each faction I have played is fun, gameplay is fun, and I'm really enjoying my playtime. I have experienced no crippling gameplay bugs, not even the strange week of plague bug that people have experienced. The reason I say 8 instead of 10 is because of how absurdly unbalanced some skills are (reinforcements vs. ANY other skill?), the whole online-all-the-time thing is idiotic, and even though I'm not experiencing bugs, it is clear that there are enough to the point that I feel the game does not warrant higher than an 8. Removing the worst of the bugs would put the game at 9 territory for me. Making magic skills worthwhile and dropping the internet requirement would make it a 10.

- Tale

mr.dna
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mr.dna » 02 Nov 2011, 11:45

xbitlabs performance review of Heroes VI

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphi ... es-vi.html

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 02 Nov 2011, 14:51

Tale wrote:
arthureloi wrote:
Tale wrote:I've played 6's. From the now 40+ hours I have personally played of this game, it doesn't feel, act, or look like a 6.
To me, a 6 is either thoroughly barely-better-than-average game or a game that has some good points but is fatally flawed because of one reason or another that makes gameplay either obnoxious or impossible.

Dungeon Siege 3 is one game that comes to mind when talking about 6s; my friend and I bought the game to play together, and soon discovered that multiplayer in that game was really, really annoying. The multiplayer system was localized to whoever hosted the game. Thus, it put both players under the same camera centered only on the host (player one for consoles). But if I was fighting some enemies and he, player one, moved too far away, I would literally get teleported to him, enemies be damned. Moreover, all characters were saved by player, NOT by console or computer; I join his game as Katarina, I level HIS Katarina. If I wanted to level my own Katarina, I'd have to start my own game. It was just inane how that system was implemented and it tanked score of the entire game for me. Another example of a 6 would be Star Trek Online, whose land fights were so poorly implemented that people would dread finding one (although I have not played it, so take this one with a grain of salt).

This game is not a 6 to me because it is not "thoroughly average" and does not have crippling flaws. Each faction I have played is fun, gameplay is fun, and I'm really enjoying my playtime. I have experienced no crippling gameplay bugs, not even the strange week of plague bug that people have experienced. The reason I say 8 instead of 10 is because of how absurdly unbalanced some skills are (reinforcements vs. ANY other skill?), the whole online-all-the-time thing is idiotic, and even though I'm not experiencing bugs, it is clear that there are enough to the point that I feel the game does not warrant higher than an 8. Removing the worst of the bugs would put the game at 9 territory for me. Making magic skills worthwhile and dropping the internet requirement would make it a 10.

- Tale
I see. Well, I did not have this idea of a 6, maybe because my favorite PC games (baldur's gate, planescape torment, neverwinter nights, diablo) don't have a 6th installment, or because my favorite console games (zelda, metroid, mario, earthbound) are all awesome =)

I'm really sorry to hear that dungeon siege 3 is so bad.. I actually liked the first one.

As for heroes VI, this seems to be the majority of the opinios - the game has its flaws but they're not game breaking, and once it gets all sorted out it will be a 9. I just wish it was polished that way from the beginning!
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 02 Nov 2011, 16:15

From first looks I'm giving HoMM 6 somewhere about 7-8 on a scale of 10. It's not terrible, it's just not very good either. I've only played a few campaign missions so far, and although most of the cutscenes are very well done (they should give different models different poses though, watching Gerhart and Slava stand in exactly the same pose was rather jarring), my strongest feeling from playing them is tediousness. The first Haven map was the biggest culprit. There are so many stacks around for which you have no reason to kill, and so much more experience in the map than needed to hit the level cap. There isn't any challenge either. The AI obligingly sits in the castle once you approach and never leaves it. The map winds up as a massive player vs. neutrals slug that ceases to be interesting after the first twenty battles or so.

It was nice to have less micro (all units can be hired from a single town etc) but things like not being to hire upgraded creatures because the town doesn't have the upgraded dwelling was annoying. Selecting heroes was also annoying, since you can only have four for selection without having to scroll. Still, having transporter heroes with instant Logistics and Pathfinding (only have to find one +1000 exp structure) was good.

I still can't comment on the overall strategical gameplay that HoMM 6 will come to embody. Balance is the biggest worry, and although I've started to form my opinions on which skills are the ones to go for, I haven't the experience with every race to critique the game as a whole.

AI really sucks ~_~

I give the game 7-8 out of 10. It's not bad, it just could've been better.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 02 Nov 2011, 16:47

Banedon wrote:I've only played a few campaign missions so far...

The first Haven map was the biggest culprit. There are so many stacks around for which you have no reason to kill, and so much more experience in the map than needed to hit the level cap.
Which maps did you play? This seems to improve lateron in some missions. I'm doing Sanctuary 2 right now and only just dinged 14 - and I'm still happily leveling up. I've cleared out a huge portion of the map already, but by now leveling goes so slowly that I will probably need most if not all of that XP to reach the cap. If I had been more minimalistic I would've been around level 11-12 with only the three major end battles left to give me more XP - which would've taken me to 14, or barely 15, which I *think* is the cap in this mission.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 03 Nov 2011, 02:56

arthureloi wrote: I see. Well, I did not have this idea of a 6, maybe because my favorite PC games (baldur's gate, planescape torment, neverwinter nights, diablo) don't have a 6th installment, or because my favorite console games (zelda, metroid, mario, earthbound) are all awesome =)

I'm really sorry to hear that dungeon siege 3 is so bad.. I actually liked the first one.

As for heroes VI, this seems to be the majority of the opinios - the game has its flaws but they're not game breaking, and once it gets all sorted out it will be a 9. I just wish it was polished that way from the beginning!
You have awesome taste in games. ^_^

Dungeon Siege 3 really disappointed me overall. The design is ENTIRELY different from the first two. Frankly, the game is unrecognizable as a Dungeon Siege game at all. But I could deal with that, if it was just the change in design: I'm a big proponent of assessing a game or movie on its own legs and not what came before. It's just the damn multiplayer that ruins it for me. It's not engaging to me as a single player game, and the multiplayer's implementation is too flawed to enjoy it that way.

I totally agree with preferring Blackhole have ironed out the flaws at the start; it sucks when good games fail as a result of easily found and Beta-reported bugs. And, again, even though I have yet to have any problem with it, the Uplay requirement is asinine and needs to go away. But I'm quite happy to have Heroes 6, and I would easily recommend it to anyone who was considering it and likes this type of game.

- Tale

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Nov 2011, 13:21

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 03 Nov 2011, 13:54

OMG! :disagree:
The number of resources has been reduced from six to four – limited to wood, stone, gold and blue crystals.
Yeah, and three resources gone - sulfur, gems and mercury.
4 left, 3 gone, total 6. Advanced math in action! :devious:
Being new to the series, I shudder to think of what playing the older games must have been like.
It was terrible. Absolutely unbearable. Did you know, that they used in in Guantanamo Bay to torture prisoners? :creative:
All in all, Might and Magic: Heroes VI is a triumphant return for the series
... said a kid who never played any other Heroes game. :baby:

Nice choice of a reviewer, strategyinformer ;)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 03 Nov 2011, 14:23

Dalai wrote:
All in all, Might and Magic: Heroes VI is a triumphant return for the series
... said a kid who never played any other Heroes game. :baby:
Ubisoft probably demanded that sentence to be included in the review lest they give Strategy Infirmer a finger instead of a game to review.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Return to “Heroes V-VI”