MM7 Level One Challenge

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rector
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7 Level One Challenge

Unread postby Rector » 29 Oct 2011, 06:51

Hi all, new comer to these forums, long time fan of the games here. Just recently decided to get back into them, and stumbled across this place, and thought it must be as good a place as any to ask my question.

So, was wondering, has anyone ever tried a level one challenge in Might and Magic 7? Being exactly what it would sound like, trying to play through the game without ever training your party above level one.

I actually had no intention of doing anything of the sort at the start. On the contrary, I started out the game planning to crush my way through it by killing the dragon at the start and abusing the loot-bug to deck my party out in all the best equipment, which I did. But as I breezed through the early game from that point, I realized after a while that I was a fair ways in and had never trained, and decided to see how far I could get like that.

I won't say I'm not being extremely cheap about it, aside from the loot bug at the start I've also been save scumming like crazy to get past a number of parts, but even so it's been pretty tough. Currently I've gotten to having to kill Xenofex, and have made it to his room, but all the devils in there just rip me to shreds, so I'm having trouble imagining making it past this point.

Still, curious if anyone has ever tried something similar, and what degree of success they had. Or, for that matter, if it's been tried on any of the other games. I know solo games and single-class party games are popular challenges, but at least haven't heard of this one as commonly.

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 29 Oct 2011, 07:00

Hi,

sounds interesting. I never did something similar in MM7 but I went through MM6 with a single level 1 knight(+3 corpses). It was quite challenging but lots of fun.

I'd love to hear how your journey will conclude, if you'll go through with it.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 29 Oct 2011, 14:44

Try looking around for the Peasant Game challenge. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Rector
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rector » 29 Oct 2011, 19:28

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they were called that, haha, although I suppose I'd seen the term around and might have guessed / at least looked into it.

Very semi-off topic, mind if I ask if I would be better of finding one of those threads and posting in them, rather than continuing this new one? I ask because any threads I found that might be relevant seemed to be quite old, and I haven't been around here anywhere near long enough to know what the stance on what constitutes a 'necro' is.

At any rate, for now, I'll say that on the one hand, the feats I've seen were definitely quite impressive, putting this little attempt to shame. (*Solo* level one runs, or even level 0??). I did, however, note difference in what most people seemed to have done, and what I am doing: horseshoes. I have an inventory full of horseshoes for such point as I give up / succeed and then decide to finally level and go to town, but until then I decided even leveling any skills would ruin the '1' effect.

...I am, however, perfectly content using (quite powerful) +to skills items. I never claimed my 'rules' were very well defined or consistent, haha... as I mentioned, doing this was something I more or less decided on on the fly. So in the end, I'm not sure how much difference the 'skill' thing makes; the biggest one I'm sure would be the fact that I'm stuck at the basic level, no training to expert or above.

----------

As long as I'm making a long-winded, rambling post, might as well provide a status update! After much running around in small circles like an idiot and reloading, I managed to get Xenofax into position to be shot from the elevator, without any of the other mobs in a position to hit me. From there, it was a fairly straightforward matter of more save scumming to kill him... granted before the only thing I had to worry about was whether or not I got hit on attack, no whether he seemingly randomly decided to bolt back off out of LoS upon loading or not...

That being the good news, that bad is, I've moved onto the Lincoln (so close!), and it is filling me with even more despair than Xenofax. My party is literally just obliterated upon minutes of entering; my best attempt of the night took me *nearly* out of the first room. I'll be attempting to press on for now, but I have to say, it's definitely daunting.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Oct 2011, 03:14

When I played my solo Ranger (albeit with leveling), I simply ran past everything in the Lincoln. All the instant-death effects in that place were just too much for me to take the enemies head-on. I eventually learned the layout of the Lincoln and was able to do it in one go. Of course, that one character had alot more hit points than your four.

Not sure if you can pull this off with the limited amount of hit points a full level 1 party has, but I'd say it's worth a try. The run to and from the Oscillirator or whatever it's called isn't that far when you know the way.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 01 Nov 2011, 20:49

How does he actually kill Blaster Guys with a level 1 knight? Don't those guys spam Power Cure?

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 01 Nov 2011, 23:14

Based on the fact that it would be almost mathematically impossible to avoid getting an eradication proc at least once if you went hand to hand honestly, I bet this is done with the same kind of tactics as used to kill the dragon on Emerald Isle. This would allow you to just load on a power cure.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 02 Nov 2011, 09:54

I finished MM7 with 1-st level full group, without killing Em.Isle Dragon. (see my post at page 7). Only two really hard places was detected: Tolberty and Lincoln. Xenofex is not a problem, you only must mix many healing white potions and heal party then you need.
I kill Tolberty with temporary stat bonuses and by using Dispel Magic every round.
In Lincoln I killed only one(!) robot, run to panel and to basin with cube and used two Divine Int. scrolls from Eofol. Temporary stat Endurance with phylosofer stone was very helpfull to me.
Sorry of my English...

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 03 Nov 2011, 03:25

That sounds about right. Anything that can fire at multiple people at once would be hard for a lvl 1 challenge. I'll bet there was a lot of loading to avoid all the fireballs in Colony Zod though.

Rector
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rector » 03 Nov 2011, 03:59

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make any deceptions whatsoever about how absolutely cheap I was being in my attempts to do this. I'd say if anything it was far more a testament to my stubbornness than to any skill I might have.

Success, by the way! The Lincoln was a pain, especially the first room, which took me about 30 auto-save reloads to finally manage to run past without my party being obliterated. After that I cleared out a couple robots my ducking around corners to shoot and then hide; I'm sure I would've made it through much faster, but I didn't actually remember where the item was, so had to do some exploring, which obviously involved a lot of saving and reloading again.

In retrospect, I suppose that this wasn't really all that unrealistic. There were relatively few parts that took me very long, and of those, at least a few would have been trivialized if I'd used Invisibility. Still, it was something different, at the very least, and while I'd never do it again, I won't say it wasn't worthwhile showing that it was, in fact, possible to do.

Final score: 21066

I suppose I might have done a bit better if I'd remembered ahead of time what the second Knight promotion was, and done it while killing time after the Human / Elf conflict, but still, I won't complain.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 03 Nov 2011, 04:32

Congratulations!

I figured that was what was happening as I've pulled similar stunts, I was mainly responding to ywhtptgtfo about how a blaster guy could be killed at level 1.

It has to be a pain to do (I haven't gotten around to trying this) but the concept is clearly possible with appropriate (ab)use of mechanics. You just did the proof of concept. I'm sure it was a lot of work.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Blaster man = Tolberty or Robert

Unread postby Mn » 11 Nov 2011, 23:09

In step to step mode tactic is simple. Thief(or any fighter by your choice) with Two swords (Corsair and ///(?) melle attack every round, Cleric cast Dispel Magic to remove his regeneration. Mage of Water cast only Acid Burst (dmg about 200), and last party man use any of wands (Mass Distorshion or Insinerate, Shrapmetal don't break him) I replayed this battle by 4-5 times for success.

Return to “Might and Magic”