GameSpy Reviews Heroes VI

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Oct 2011, 13:08

The big English gaming sites are taking their time to review Heroes VI. GameSpy is the first to publish its <a href="/http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/might-magic-he ... >review</a> in which they praise the familiar turn-based gameplay but highlight the visual bugs and UPlay online requirements. Here is the bottomline:

<i>"If I wasn't punched in the face by UPlay every time Heroes VI's engaging campaigns get rolling, I'd be in love. There's a great game hiding underneath the wet blanket of visual glitches and connectivity issues. Heroes VI strikes the right balance between subtle innovation and faithfulness to the core elements that make the series so excellent, but the experience is nearly ruined by the poorly implemented online infrastructure."</i>

GamePro has a review as well <a href="/http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/ ... /">here</a>. In both case the final score is 3 out of 5. Let's wait and see what GameSpot and Eurogamer have to say now.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1319202530
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Oct 2011, 16:29

That ... pretty much sums up what I'm thinking as well.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 21 Oct 2011, 17:11

Well, it seems the DRM did get to laugh last after all. And we thought we won this battle :(.

Uplay is more annoying than SECUROM, that speaks volumes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Oct 2011, 18:53

I almost wouldn't mind ... if it just ... worked properly.

We are of course updating our reviews page.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 21 Oct 2011, 22:28

I really don't understand it. The only noticeable bug I've met is the easily remedied map scrolling problem. Otherwise, I am 18 hours in, mostly in three lengthy gaming sessions, and I have yet to lose connection to Uplay. No crashing, no black screens, no blinking cursor, nothing. Knock on wood, I guess.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: GameSpy Reviews Heroes VI

Unread postby Pol » 21 Oct 2011, 22:56

Tale wrote:I really don't understand it. The only noticeable bug I've met is the easily remedied map scrolling problem. Otherwise, I am 18 hours in, mostly in three lengthy gaming sessions, and I have yet to lose connection to Uplay. No crashing, no black screens, no blinking cursor, nothing. Knock on wood, I guess.
(From that) I have blinking cursor, but devil eat that, that's all. :D From beta I remember what happen when you lost the connection, it look like that it doesn't reconnect automatically. Can't say (just?) now.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Shoaura
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shoaura » 22 Oct 2011, 00:31

Had the black screen crashing bug, blinking cursor (when I was finally able to play), and I've only lost connectivity once. It dropped me straight to the main menu during a tough fight... which was very annoying.

I've not yet noticed the UPlay aspect that is mentioned in the article, and aside from the connectivity issue already mentioned; it hasn't affected me too badly.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 22 Oct 2011, 12:47

It's sad but true. The game gets reviewed when it's released and the way it is now it's disappointing. If only they had taking a little bit more time to polish it. Little things like the blinking cursor make such a great impact on your first impression. Which is a shame because it's gunna be a great game. Kind of the opposite of the "warmed up corpse) Command and Conquer 4. Which seemed nice at first but turned out to be horrible when you played it longer than a week.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 22 Oct 2011, 15:06

The only saving grace is that when all of the bugs and issues are fixed, we will have a great game in our hands.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Oct 2011, 20:11

I'm disappointed that the GamePro review lumps this game in the same genre as King's Bounty. Has Heroes really become more of a tactical RPG than a strategy game?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

glandis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby glandis » 24 Oct 2011, 23:44

Now that the details of the online system are clear, we can see that it effectively IS an "always online" copy-protection scheme. The changes to gameplay are WAY too substantial when offline for any other interpretation.

This makes it very hard for me to buy this game, for the twin reasons that I hate the idea of always-online, and that Ubi has been deceptive in touting the "not copy protection" claim.

We'll see if the patches clean things up enough to tempt me, but right now - no way. I'll wait for the new King's Bounty. Sad, really - I've bought multiple copies of every other Heroes game to date.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 25 Oct 2011, 00:05

Just received the game yesterday and played it for a little bit. As a Might and Magic veteran I must say it's pretty ordinary, doesnt feel like Heroes to me one iota.

Hopefully the more I play and better understand it the more I like it.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Oct 2011, 10:18

Ryder wrote:Just received the game yesterday and played it for a little bit. As a Might and Magic veteran I must say it's pretty ordinary, doesnt feel like Heroes to me one iota.

Hopefully the more I play and better understand it the more I like it.
Lets see. But it didn't happened in my case. The game was simplified too much, AI doesn't pose any threat. So it doesn't pose sufficient strategic element, neither the rush speed like StarCraft.

However it's extremly good pile of resources. :D Gotta love video and music, graphic is also quite nice. Interactivity should be a bit on the higher level, strategy almost none, the gameplay was greased too much. - Damn how I'm missing that feeling of resistance and success.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Oct 2011, 10:49

Here's their Battlefield 3 review: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1210517p1.html
Pros:
Amazing visual and audio experience; deep, layered multiplayer with a strong mix of maps; a huge package including singleplayer, co-op and multiplayer.

Cons:
Unoriginal storyline; weak AI; issues with multiplayer servers; lack of teamwork features.
Interesting how they give 5/5 stars despite the cons.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Oct 2011, 16:54

They might not be bad enough to count as 1 point less.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 26 Oct 2011, 19:07

They know this game is for a niche market. Yet they deliberately seek to alienate that same market with their infernal DRM! Patch it out now, or there's no way I'm buying it.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 27 Oct 2011, 02:04

glandis wrote:Now that the details of the online system are clear, we can see that it effectively IS an "always online" copy-protection scheme. The changes to gameplay are WAY too substantial when offline for any other interpretation.
This makes it very hard for me to buy this game, for the twin reasons that I hate the idea of always-online, and that Ubi has been deceptive in touting the "not copy protection" claim.

We'll see if the patches clean things up enough to tempt me, but right now - no way. Sad, really - I've bought multiple copies of every other Heroes game to date.
This. I don't like being lied to.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 27 Oct 2011, 06:44

Compared to AI in other heroes games, I'd say HVI's is better than in any of them. This is fairly evident when you try it in allied game (I play AI always set on hard), they even use secondary heroes to grab resources after primary hero has cleared guards.

I wouldn't judge AI just from campaigns, which seem to contain series of easy maps. But even there they try to capture your forts and towns, defend their cities, evade impossible odds and use town portal.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

ttague2005
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ttague2005 » 28 Oct 2011, 17:31

Where are the maps that are supposed to be in the patch?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 Oct 2011, 18:21

Okay seriously, is there any hope left for a GameSpot review?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Return to “News”