Is this copyrighted anymore?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
SokarEntertainment
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Is this copyrighted anymore?

Unread postby SokarEntertainment » 25 Oct 2011, 16:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm33MMa9d_A

I honest don't know if Ubisoft has copyrights on these old Might and Magic games. Anyone here with a definite answer on that?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Oct 2011, 17:15

The answer is yes, they do.

Not that it's worth much, but would be interesting to find out if they hold the copyright to Shifters, which isn't strictly a Might and Magic title but does use the IP...

SokarEntertainment
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SokarEntertainment » 25 Oct 2011, 17:58

Damn, I really wanted to use that soundtrack for a special Might And Magic 6 related video on youtube. But I guess if I ever want to be partnered I gotta stay away from that :/

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 Oct 2011, 04:01

Set up another account to post it, and put it in a playlist with your main account?

<random>

I actually have a strike on my account back from when the whole misheard lyrics thing was popular on youtube. I made one that got ALOT of views and then the artist himself found out about it :/ Back then, I didn't even know you couldn't do that since everybody was doing it lol

</random>
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 19 Nov 2011, 23:52

i doubt ubisoft will care if you use MM6 sounds/music on a youtube thing.

if they did, they would have killed all the projects here on the forum and out on the net along time ago.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vmxa » 20 Nov 2011, 20:21

It is not easy to say, if they have the rights to the music. Often the rights are for specific formats, like CD or diskettes. It was an ongoing battles for a time over getting extra compensation for digital formats.

Those may lie with the artist for games that predate DVD and DLC.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 21 Nov 2011, 23:09

Corlagon wrote:Not that it's worth much, but would be interesting to find out if they hold the copyright to Shifters, which isn't strictly a Might and Magic title but does use the IP...
As far as I know Ubi has the rights to all the NWC titles and 3DO spinoffs. I'm pretty sure that includes Shifters and Dragon Rage.
That also includes King's Bounty (the original game) even if Ubi did not renew the brand itself.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 22 Nov 2011, 19:07

Marzhin wrote:That also includes King's Bounty (the original game) even if Ubi did not renew the brand itself.
Wasn't that brand rebought by 1C Company?

Return to “Might and Magic”