Official HoMM VI Reviews.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

If you were to review HoMM VI, What rating would you give to the overall experience?

Outstanding!
11%
I like it!
53%
Meh.
20%
I did not like it.
7%
Terrible!
9%

Total votes: 45

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 21 Oct 2011, 14:38

Panda Tar wrote:This is my thoughts some weeks ago. It loosk like it's 1/3 of the game real fun, but making you having to be connected to have Conflux benefits is not a fair way to appease public approval, combat piracy or please offline customers. Online features shouldn't really bear a high piece of a game such as MMH6. From all new stuff I learned in MMH6, Conflux was the most interesting. Alas, it's also the most glitchy and unstable thing! :drama:
Actually, having to be online is neither the sane way, nor the right way. "Bullying the paying customers" is more proper term.

Even games which used their fabulous DRM, like Assassin's Creed 2 were pirated anyways. Yes, someone may say that at least it prevents piracy in the first days. Sure, it does. But do you honestly expect a purchase from someone who did not want to buy it in the first place?

As I said, bullying your customers is not the way to go. What about the "more bang for your buck" attitude? Add some physical goodies or bonus items (though in-game items are easily "piratable" too) and it may help convince someone about the purchase. And it will please fans even more, since the distributors seem to care about pleasing them. Pirates won't buy it anyways and fanboys will buy it even if it sucked, because of their pride.

But releasing a buggy game, even without proper manual and this online crap? Gah!
Last edited by klaymen on 21 Oct 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Oct 2011, 14:41

I only hope we won't have to rely only on modding in future. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 21 Oct 2011, 15:46

What I find really unsettling is that from what I see, they tried to copy blizzard's battle.net policy with some additions. The problem is that when you're playing Starcraft2 online and it disconnects, it just tells you you're now offline and won't be able to get achievements and other online only content. But that makes sense, because there are some things really meant only for multiplayer and online. Now it seems Ubisoft is forcing users to stay online to even use single player content. That really sucks and in my opinion it doesn't help stopping piracy.

As for my experience with the game, I've played the demo but unfortunately, differently than what I felt with the previous games, I found it really boring and I had to stop. I have hope that the finished, patched up product will prove better, though.
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 22 Oct 2011, 04:07

Panda Tar wrote:I only hope we won't have to rely only on modding in future. :D
You know this is precisely what always happens. :|

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 22 Oct 2011, 14:04

http://www.gamesradar.com/might-magic-heroes-vi-review/ 8/10
You'll love

Major improvements to a fantastic formula
Deep RPG mechanics
Engaging visuals and gorgeous sound design

You'll hate

Overly-familiar combat
Minor balance issues
Uneven voice acting and writing
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 22 Oct 2011, 15:01

I must say the major changes are welcomed by the critics while they are hated by many players.
I guess it's because they have a more sales-minded view about it, like the developers.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 22 Oct 2011, 17:16

Or maybe because the players who post here are not representative of players as a whole.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Mixed Feelings

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 23 Oct 2011, 09:00

Voted "Meh" aka Mixed Feelings.

I think that Heroes VI is a bit unstable at the moment with its bugs and glitches weighing heavily on the otherwise not so bad a product. It seems quite fair to give the game a rating of 3/5 (60%) in its current state. The reviewers aren't, in my humble opinion, being brutal in their opinions nor too "blue-eyed" towards the game's flaws. This indicates a middle path taken which can be summed as "Mixed Feelings".

As for this gamer, I await the patch 1.2.

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Mixed Feelings

Unread postby arthureloi » 23 Oct 2011, 15:07

Yurian Stonebow wrote:Voted "Meh" aka Mixed Feelings.

I think that Heroes VI is a bit unstable at the moment with its bugs and glitches weighing heavily on the otherwise not so bad a product. It seems quite fair to give the game a rating of 3/5 (60%) in its current state. The reviewers aren't, in my humble opinion, being brutal in their opinions nor too "blue-eyed" towards the game's flaws. This indicates a middle path taken which can be summed as "Mixed Feelings".
100% agreed.. I think the reviewers are being pretty fair, and the opinios are solid too.
Unfortunately, I think I'll have to pass this one and wait for the next King's Bounty.
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 23 Oct 2011, 15:22

Mirez wrote:I must say the major changes are welcomed by the critics while they are hated by many players.
I guess it's because they have a more sales-minded view about it, like the developers.
It could also be a difference in expectations. I suspect that reviewers look more at what the game is, whereas fans are more hung up on what it's not and could have been.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 24 Oct 2011, 10:25

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 24 Oct 2011, 10:54

Hey, Metathron! Thank you VERY much for the support!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Oct 2011, 21:10

No biggie, I just keep an eye on Metacritic. Here's the latest one:

http://www.incgamers.com/Reviews/1252/t ... -vi-review 5/10

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 25 Oct 2011, 22:07

Metathron wrote:No biggie, I just keep an eye on Metacritic. Here's the latest one:

It's hard to take any reviewer seriously when they give this game anything less than a 7.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Oct 2011, 22:15

Hardly, considering the unenviable amount of bugs and lack of polish.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 25 Oct 2011, 22:19

mysticc wrote:
Metathron wrote:No biggie, I just keep an eye on Metacritic. Here's the latest one:

It's hard to take any reviewer seriously when they give this game anything less than a 7.

And why not?

That review pointed out some very good points, both positive and negative.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 25 Oct 2011, 23:58

Coldy wrote:
mysticc wrote:

And why not?

That review pointed out some very good points, both positive and negative.
The problem is that he starts in his head with a review of 7, and then starts deducting from there. Even if the bugs were worked out, the best he would give the game is a 6? Really?

I've played 6's. From what I've seen of this game on youtube, it doesn't look like a 6.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 26 Oct 2011, 00:42

Not sure, his review seems to make good sense to me - I just don't think a 5 ties in to all he's said. I've always had the following practical viewpoint: if I enjoy playing a game (and that isn't because it's so buggy and bad that it's hilarious), and find myself wanting to play more of it once I've quit, it's worth at least a 6. By that definition, I'd slap a 7 to the end of Metathron's review, even if I agree with almost all of his points. There's plenty of stuff wrong with H6, but overall it's a fairly enjoyable game (if you like the genre). If I imagine it with all the bugs fixed and some additional features (town screens and that jazz) I'd definitely be willing to go up to a 9, seeing as how it would simply be a strong game at that point.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 26 Oct 2011, 00:56

Well, that's just it. I don't think he said anything wrong from what I've seen in his review. The score though is totally inaccurate based on what he said.

I would say even despite the uplay problems and the bugs, it's a 7. And yes, if both of those were corrected, I'd say 8.5 to 9 is more like it. A lot of the crap people are complaining about seem like nice features/changes. The game mechanics, art, sound, etc. seem like the least of the game's actual problems.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 26 Oct 2011, 07:32

The IGN review finally here! A good score, but all in all a rather sloppy and shallow review.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210600p1.html

8/10

Return to “Heroes V-VI”