Rank HoMM OSTs

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Rank HoMM OSTs

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 20 Oct 2011, 16:47

I thought I remember King saying there were going to be lots of gorgeous melodies. They've definitly lost their touch and I was surprised about no opera.

From best to worst:

1. H2
2. H4
3. H3
4. H5
5. H1
6. H6

I didn't factor in H6 remixes since those were from other games.

How do you think?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Oct 2011, 16:53

I agree with the list. I do like some H4 melodies indeed, although 2 is the most appealing one imho. H3 follows up yes. I couldn't give a grade to H1 because I didn't play it nor listen to its songs. H6 I liked most of the remixes and Haven theme. I don't have the game yet to say anymore on 6 just yet. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 20 Oct 2011, 17:31

1. H4
2. H3
3. H2
4. H5
5. H6
6. H1
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 21 Oct 2011, 06:59

1. H3
2. H2
3. H5
4. H4
5. H6
6. H1

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 Oct 2011, 09:46

1. H2
2. H5
3. H4
4. H6
5. H3

I don't remember the H1 music. But honestly, they're all good in their own way to me. This is all very rough and approximate.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 21 Oct 2011, 09:53

1. H4
2. H6
3. H2
4. H3
5. H5

Haven't played H1. Heroes 4 music just brought so much atmosphere to the game, also the way the sound was done was brilliant, especially on the adventure map when you changed terrains. I know some people hate the operatic classical themes but it was amazing for me.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Oct 2011, 11:43

1. H4
2. H2
3. H3
4. H5
5. H1
6. H6

H4 and 2 are pretty much tied for first place, as the music in both is just out-of-this world good. There is a substantial gap between them and the next contender (H3). The last three places are also a three-way tie, as each of those has at least a couple great tunes.

I know a lot of people are unfamiliar with H1 music so here are the links to town evolutions, where you can at least listen to the four town themes.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 21 Oct 2011, 12:31

Thanks for those links, they helped me form my opinion a little bit better as I find it incredibly difficult to distinguish the soundtracks from the games I've played (3, 4, 5 and 6, though I won't mention 6 due to lack of experience in hearing all themes there).

Even so, I still have to say that I really can't rank them per game, as they kind of differ per town for me. I'll list them per town;

Knight - This one has to be Heroes 5. That opera REALLY grabs the feeling really well. Heroes 4 was alright, but after playing it for a longer time I'd be listening to that insane amount of pure opera in it and every now and then just going "what the heck am I actually listening to?". I'd rank 3 above 4 here.

Barbarian - I actually don't really like any of these. I like H3 the best, that one feels the most 'as if I'm in some kind of rugged land, traveling with barbarians'. H4 is an alright song, it just doesn't feel barbaric to me. H5 is just... I'm not feeling anything there.

Sorceress (Nature/Sylvan) - That's a tie between H5 and H4. H4 has a REALLY good feeling (it's SOOO relaxing and that fits the nature theme so well) and H5 is a lot simpler, but the latter is more mysterious and fits better with the town screen we have there. Rampart from H3 is really awesome as well, but it doesn't grab me as much as the H4 and H5 themes.

Warlock (Underground/Dark Elves) - Since I don't really consider Chaos from H4 to be the equivalent of these factions from H3 and H5 (I see Chaos as the Inferno equivalent, as I'll touch on later), I'm gonna have to go with H3. It feels like you're really underground. H5 isn't all that special.

Wizard (Tower/Order/Academy) - H4, hands down. This might be my favourite town soundtrack out of all of them. Even though the town looks kind of ridiculous, the music is just so perfect. H5 is pretty unique and I like that one as well because of it. H3 last because like the H5 Stronghold music, it just doesn't really grab me at all.

Necromancer - H3 wins this one for me. That music is actually scary and sends shivers down my spine. No competition. H4 is... I can see what they were going for, but I don't think they quite reach that point of 'mad, epic feeling of power'. H5 isn't bad, but the main theme (those two horn riffs) is so dominant the song just starts boring me a minute or so into it.

Inferno - H5 one was silly and annoying moreso than anything else, will place that last. Since this is where I'll count Chaos from H4, that one wins. That song gives me an eerie feeling of annoyance due to that sickly somewhat over-the-top woman's voice of opera. It's not annoyance as in "this sucks" though, but rather annoyance as in "I'm actually feeling uncomfortable listening to the song of the CHAOS faction", which leads me to say it serves its purpose pretty well. H3 is alright, but doesn't do it for me either.

Fortress - Just putting a mention down here, not really gonna work this one out - H3 and H5 fortress are so detached from eachother I can't really compare them. I don't like either song though, for what it's worth.

Overall, if you'd force me to choose, I guess I'd have to put H4 on spot one, mainly because aside from the fact that I like a lot of its town music, it also has produced this gem. H5 and H3 would really be a tie, as I seem to really dislike H5 and really like H3 in some situations, but find that the vice versa is true in others.

Edit: On the other hand, H3 produced this gem in it's turn. That music is just so nostalgic for me I'm not ever going to forget it. There's still a huge lot about H5 I liked, but I might have to give H3 a second spot, even if it's ever so slightly.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Oct 2011, 13:37

It was interesting to read your analysis as you placed it into a larger context.

But what about HoMM2? It's really the adventure map themes that stand out the most, some examples:

Snow theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYotuxLcA5s
Grass theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJmggSHS1w4
Swamp theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVSGXhdTX6E
Dirt theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCT2m9PLW_Y
Sea theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0mB-6Mzac
Lava theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwG-7xAdpU
Desert theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7EUiwfZt_E
Main theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUF3skzq3Dw

Btw, a big thanks to Shyranis for taking the time to upload!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 21 Oct 2011, 21:19

HoMM4 has some of the best terrain themes, I think, with HoMM3 a close second.

HoMM2 has the best town themes (and quite so many of them!) with 5 or 6 just behind it.

HoMM3 and 5 don't stand out with anything in particular, but both are good.

I am really enjoying the mix that 6 has, actually. There isn't quite as much (or so it feels), but there is a consistency across the whole that makes it all feel like bits of a whole. Unlike 2, 4 or 3, I don't think I enjoy 6's music as much for listening outside of the game, but within the game, I think it has some of the most gorgeous tunes yet. Definitely a turn for the different... but not worse.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 22 Oct 2011, 09:27

1. Heroes IV
2. Heroes VI
3. Heroes II
4. Heroes III
5. Heroes V

I have HoMM I but I haven't played it much at all, so I can't comment on it soundtrack.

None of the soundtracks are bad though, and all contain some awesome songs.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 22 Oct 2011, 17:58

Here are my particular best picks among all games except H1, in no particular ranking order.

H2 Grass
H3 Main menu
H3 Castle town
H4 Academy town
H5 Haven town/Haven campaign/main menu (since they're basically remixes of the same thing)
H6 Main menu
H6 Irina's theme

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 22 Oct 2011, 18:29

Heroes 3 theme would always win even if only for nostalgia...
I like the heroes 6 music though, it's on par with the heroes 5 soundtrack. Although town screens are generally worse.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 22 Oct 2011, 20:43

H 4
and then
H 3
Though it can be mentioned that ,while H4 has best sounding themes

H3s themes just match your feeling about faction for 100%
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 23 Oct 2011, 03:21

Mirez wrote:I like the heroes 6 music though, it's on par with the heroes 5 soundtrack. Although town screens are generally worse.
I think it was so similar with H5, which is why I get the feeling that we won't be returning to the classic days of H2&4 style music. :cry:

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 24 Oct 2011, 01:13

1. HoMM 3
2. HoMM 4
3. HoMM 2
4. HoMM 6
5. HoMM 1
6. HoMM 5

That adhering to strict "ranks". HoMM 2 and 4 OSTs are pretty much on the same awesome level. They're also a close second to the first place, because of Sorceress (the original 4-minute opera version) and Grass themes. HoMM IV also has some especially fantastic tracks. But nearly all tracks in HoMM 3 are some of the most amazing music in Heroes, even considering the huge nostalgia factor :) Heroes VI has several great tracks, my favourites being Kiril's theme and Stronghold. I don't count remixes here, but it was very nice to hear them, even though I like the original versions better. Soundtrack in Heroes 1 was mostly good, so was Heroes 5's, but they pale in comparison with other installments.

Now to include Might and Magic OSTs here, MM 3-8 would share the first place with HoMM 3 (some of the tracks are on the same caliber as HoMM 2 and 4 music, which is again very close to 1st place, though). My favourite track in the entire Might and Magic franchise has got to be Alamar's theme from the MM5 intro, with the Ultimate Adventurers' (Fountain Head in SNES port) and Ancients' themes from MM3 being a very close second. The third are probably New Sorpigal, Emerald Island and Foolhardy Waywardness (Christian's theme), as well as many (these three having most punch) other tracks.
Last edited by XEL II on 08 Jan 2012, 01:59, edited 2 times in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 24 Oct 2011, 01:22

Metathron wrote:It was interesting to read your analysis as you placed it into a larger context.

But what about HoMM2? It's really the adventure map themes that stand out the most, some examples:

Snow theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYotuxLcA5s
Grass theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJmggSHS1w4
Swamp theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVSGXhdTX6E
Dirt theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCT2m9PLW_Y
Sea theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0mB-6Mzac
Lava theme: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwG-7xAdpU
Desert theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7EUiwfZt_E
Main theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUF3skzq3Dw

Btw, a big thanks to Shyranis for taking the time to upload!
Well, like I think I brushed on in my original post, I don't feel comfortable 'rating' the HoMM 2 soundtrack because I haven't played the game. Even if I looked up all the songs, I still wouldn't know the exact context they've been used in and how well they merged with the game. If I actually knew the soundtrack and its placement I might consider it the best, I'm just not willing to put any numbers to it without having the right knowledge.

I did check out all of those songs though, and quite like most of them. The Grass theme seems to be the one that started off that particular tune, or does it harken back to even Heroes 1? The main theme along with the main menu reminds me a lot of the older Monkey Island games :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”