Heroes VI first review - 8.5/10

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
notenoughmana
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI first review - 8.5/10

Unread postby notenoughmana » 11 Oct 2011, 12:16

Polish site GRYOnline.pl:

"Many of you will have a problem with accepting some of the new gaming solutions, for many this game will never surpass you-know-which installment of the series, but nevertheless you should give the new Heroes a chance. I don't regret the time spent with Heroes VI and truthfully - it gave me more satisfaction than playing HoMM V a few years back. There is no doubt that Ubisoft made a right choice by choosing a hungarian team to develop this game. I'm waiting for more."

:)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 11 Oct 2011, 12:20

You forget to mention that this "review" was written based on beta, demo and prass release versions, not on game itself. :P

notenoughmana
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby notenoughmana » 11 Oct 2011, 12:21

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Oct 2011, 12:33

I like the rating but the game was not released yet. The screenshots are not necessary a new ones. So, looks like Beta, still.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Oct 2011, 20:25

Isn't it possible that this site got a copy in advance?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 11 Oct 2011, 21:00

A press version if I had to guess. The reviews I have read so far are kind to the game :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 11 Oct 2011, 22:48

It's great to see these more or less 'outside' reviews. Most of the game reviews that will come will be from people who have played Heroes games a small amount at best. Since it's much more polished then the average game (due to delays) it's going to get pretty good reviews, probably a metascore of 80 or so. I'd imagine the Civ fans wouldn't have given Civ5 a 9/10 on release like every reviewer lol.

I think we may be underrating this game, at least on a basic level, for newcomers to the series and people who haven't played a lot of heroes, this is easily the heroes that is easiest to get into.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Oct 2011, 01:37

I lost a lot of respect for reviews these days compared to reviews 5-10 years ago. There is also so much inconsistency between different reviewers which just doesn't make sense. An excellent game should be considered excellent by most/all reviewers, but I often read several reviews that rate 9/10 while several other reviews rate 2/10. I don't remember this being so prominent back in the day.

And then there are some magazines that don't even give out ratings any more. They literally just describe the level they just played, ramble on about how "games are art" and end the review. WTF? ;|

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 12 Oct 2011, 07:01

Game reviews are the most reliable of all entertainment reviews. Look at a few reliable sources, or where most of the scores are, and take out all the outliers basically.

If you look at the variation in scores between Movie and Music reviews you'd laugh.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 12 Oct 2011, 08:14

mr.hackcrag wrote:I lost a lot of respect for reviews these days compared to reviews 5-10 years ago. There is also so much inconsistency between different reviewers which just doesn't make sense. An excellent game should be considered excellent by most/all reviewers, but I often read several reviews that rate 9/10 while several other reviews rate 2/10. I don't remember this being so prominent back in the day.

And then there are some magazines that don't even give out ratings any more. They literally just describe the level they just played, ramble on about how "games are art" and end the review. WTF? ;|
You should remember days of HOMM4. Those days many gave it overinflated score, despite shortcomings in hopes that addons will fix it. If you check other genres like fps - doom3 had very wide array of markings from bad to extremely good proclaiming to be new god of fps. Heroes on other hand, I am fully prepared to see wide arry of ratings since many will put it bad score just because its heroes that isnt made by NWC and thus bad by definition, some will on contrary worship just because of mm tag. Don't really see how 5-10 years ago reviews were any better, think they were even worse back then.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Oct 2011, 10:50

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Oct 2011, 11:07

the 2nd and 3rd link don't work for me kalah
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Oct 2011, 12:30

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 12 Oct 2011, 12:44

aaight fixed
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Oct 2011, 14:37

These reviews could come from Beta experience, right? Nothing revealing anything else we actually didn't know. Alas, tomorrow is the releasing date and reviews will be coming nevertheless.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 12 Oct 2011, 14:54

Not really - it's press release version = full game but with mechanics and stats from beta (ver. 1.2/1.3 IIRC), so it doesn't have last updates and patch in day 1 which was promised by Ubisoft (both Marzhin and Irina mentioned about it).
So press release game =/= final version.

And I hope day 1 patch will improve this game a lot.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”