Discworld books

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Discworld books

Unread postby klaymen » 30 Sep 2011, 09:55

I've started reading Pratchett's Discworld books and I'd like to ask you which one(s) to pick next?

So far I'vd finished Reaper Man, Guards! Guards!, Men at arms, Night Watch, Sourcery and Witches abroad (I didn't like this one at all).

Also since I liked books about the City Watch, are there any more books about them?

Thank you in advance.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 30 Sep 2011, 11:15

For the City Watch pick:
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Thud!

If you read Thud! before The Fifth Elephant you're going to spoil some details on the life of Vimes, so I recommend reading them in order.

Also, the very first books in the series are nice: The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. I also recommend Small Gods, Mort and Eric.

From the Witches series: Equal Rites and Maskerade.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 30 Sep 2011, 20:20

I'd say the first two are the weakest, Pratchett hadn't found his stride. But not because they are bad, they just lack coherence; more a line of gags and spoofs than a proper story.

But I recommend every last book, no doubt about it. Read them in order to make it simple, or look up main themes and read those in order. There are of course crossovers, so some spoilers might occur this way.

I find it hard to recommend specifics, however, since you found a Discworld book you didn't like; you're clearly mad and sensible advice would be a waste :jester:

:tongue:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 01 Oct 2011, 12:04

Thanks for the replies guys. I will pick the CityWatch books first and then I'll decide for another theme.
Ethric wrote:...however, since you found a Discworld book you didn't like; you're clearly mad and sensible advice would be a waste :jester:

:tongue:
Well, while it had some great moments (like the mention about use of Assassins' Guild in Genua), the story as a whole didn't interest me much. In fact, I was unable to finish the last ~30 pages for a week. Yes, I am mad :)
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Return to “Campfire”