Ultimate MM8 party

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 25 Sep 2011, 05:38

Panda Tar wrote:I was pretty far. I couldn't see the attack coming. I see the attack animation, but the projectile, blast, breath or whatever is invisible, so I don't know the right timing to try and dodge (it feels like the attack comes at the very beginning of the animation, because when I waited a bit more - :rip: ). Only one character got killed each time the thing attacked, so it wasn't due the blast I gather. :)

Speaking of dragons, my own dragon couldn't hit those...hum...big rat-like beasts. Beastmaster? Shapeshifter, I don't remember their name. It would just spit fire over/through them.
Anti-these of Yoda's logic :-D
Here, size does matters !

If u got attacked by dragons before they come within melee range of u'r heroes, that's because u'r heroes have come within melee range of those dragons.

Dragons, being of very large size, can do melee attack farther than u'r heroes. Thus they don't have to come real close while u, on the other hand, have (in order to retaliate).

If u'r own dragons can't target rat-sized critters, that's because dragons are far too large while the targets are far too small (and too low -groundwise-).

There be a limit to how small a creature can be targeted by dragon's breath attack. Small critters or those affected by shrinking ray are actually more difficult to be targeted by dragon.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Sep 2011, 06:04

Yeah, I ended up learning it when I entered a dragon cave somewhere. :) The lesser dragons spit ranged attack, while the great ones have melee attack - as you said, their range is wider, so I must have gotten near it enough to be toasted.

I found these melee dragons far easier to deal with than their predecessors in MM7. They are too slow when coming. However, many other creatures are somewhat hard to deal with, because they simply blend one into another and, out of the blue, a whole army is standing in front of you occupying a very small place, so you can be easily lured into a sense of security. Not to mention that they hate this race or that race, concentring all attacks in one character (I have 5 different races).

Another thing I found somewhat annoying is the lack of information when reading your quests. I simply cannot keep all of them in memory given I just started playing. So, when I go to my quest book, it says: "Find this", "Find that", etc., etc. Oh well, no hints. We simply have to talk to everyone around to see if someone can even mention something. If not, it's simply going scanning the whole map.

And there are some quests that seemed to be completed, but they say I didn't finish yet. Killing ogres and dragon hunters, for example. I killed them all on the map, but the Dragon keeps saying that there's still dragon hunters to kill (not the Gretatest Dragon that says about the camp and Quixote - this one promoted my dragon; the other on the previous room). Same about the ogres. I even went to the other map and started killing them on the Barbarian Stronghold. Not sure if it'll suffice.

And now I'm stuck in Balthazar's lair trying to figure out how to drain all that water down. But my main enemy until date are the chest traps. My disarmer is not very skilled and she's the first one to visit Heavens whenever a trap explodes. This is getting really annoying.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 25 Sep 2011, 06:18

If u get surrounded, u'r best bet is using some kind of crowd control spells...ehm, Mind Magic. This be vampire's specialty as well. Charm (vampire's Charm is better than common one), Mass Fear, Dragon Fear, u name it.....(and they said Mind Magic got no use..) :-D

For arcanists and necromancers, it's Slow & Shrinking Ray.

Potential Spoiler:
There be ogres in mountain tops above Alvar as well, not just in the fortress. Don't forget Dragon Hunters in Quixote's Castle, they still counts.
There be note somewhere to point u the right sequence for using water-draining levers.

U can use minotaurs to disarm trap. They got more HPs to bite the bullet. Using dark elf as starter is not all that necessary, unless u invest heavily on Disarm.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Sep 2011, 06:28

Ahhnn, :D spells then. I was somewhat used not to use much spells in MM7, to control a horde, but I know what you mean. :)

I got my dragon to fly my team over the top of the mountains and also cleared those places from ogres. I must only get back to the quest petitioneer now to see if clearing the Barbarian fortress was also required. That I know not. ;|

I think I read something odd on some paper I got that might be the right sequence to that thing. Must check it out again, thanks. ;)

I thought disarm trap for that lady given she's the one to grandmaster disarming. Oh, well, my minotaur does survives all the time because of his perception. The dragon is just too relentless and the cleric has fair HP. Now my vampire and my dark elf are downright beat to crap whenever traps start activating or that crowd gather around.

And another thing: the hive...those waps keep returning forever in the hive? I mean that I killed them (after killing dragons, because I completely forgot them), then, out of the thin air, the map sparked with tons of red dots and they came down on me again so fast, that my...*sigh* :drama: ... my dark elf again went to the tomb pretty fast, before I even realized I should start a turn-mode battle to try and escape.

I'm almost dismissing that dark elf to be replaced by a physical banana.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 25 Sep 2011, 06:49

Ah yes, of course, in MM 7 we got more varieties and quality monsters while less of them at any given place. In MM 8, most of the time it's quite the contrary. We got far less variety of monster, yet whenever we saw them, there be a good chance they came in swarms. Thus we must approach this with different methods. Quite simply, brute forces with monks, knights and archers like in MM 7 won't do. Especially if we're outnumbered like, 20 to 1.

As to quote Brimstone;"And this time, even a dragon would know better than to travel alone.." :-D

One very good example is that bee hive. There 'is' a limit as to how many wasps will came, but the limit is quite high. IIRC, it might be hundreds. They're literally swarming on u.

I put vampire on my suggestion for MM 8 party because vampires can simply by-pass these kind of obstacles with Mistform while dark elves....not :D

Disarm is a reasonably good skill. Yet most of the time u won't need more than a master level (Minotaur can get this). If u rely upon dark elf, just remember she won't even GM this until after u finished like, 75% of the game.

Most of people who talk about how good dark elf is are actually talking about one specific cute dark elf only. For all the others, they're just pain in the ass for good.... :-D

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Sep 2011, 07:02

I started with a dark elf and never had any problems with that. So you must be doing something wrong there :P

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 25 Sep 2011, 07:09

Naah...starting with dark elf is different with taking one along.

When u start with one, u know exactly what u'll do with him/her, while taking a half-made build is a bit more complicated since he/she might got different build than what u want him/her to be. U might got him/her with less HPs/MPs than u expected, got less skill where u want or more where u don't, etc.

From what I've played, my dark elf PC was always better than those NPCs (when compared at same level, of course)... :D

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Sep 2011, 07:14

:D

Is there an option to kick aside the dark elf and run away while she's getting beaten by the mob of monsters?

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 25 Sep 2011, 07:28

Hey, u can always remove someone from the party, he/she will get back to Adventure's Inn in Ravenshore and Dagger Wound main island. Even in the middle of a fight ;)

This won't do if u wanna kick the party leader though.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 04 Oct 2011, 20:12

Recently played (in tavern characters mod)

Necromancer-Necromancer-Necromancer-Necromancer-Red Elf

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 10 Oct 2011, 06:47

Two greatest advantage of being all necromancers in MM8 are their early access to the very powerful Dark Magic and the absence of magic immune creatures.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 10 Oct 2011, 20:48

BoardGuest808888 wrote:Two greatest advantage of being all necromancers in MM8 are their early access to the very powerful Dark Magic and the absence of magic immune creatures.
Even with magic immune creatures, Sorcerers in MM6/MM7 always had a few spells at their disposal that dealt physical damage to deal with them anyway.

MM6: Deadly Swarm, Blades, Implosion, Rock Blast and Shrapmetal to deal with Guardians of Varn (the red ones).

MM7: Acid Burst to deal with Medusas (Earth Blast DOES deal earth damage in mm7).

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 12 Oct 2011, 02:10

Unlike the previous 2 games, monsters hit much harder. I love heavy casters in MM6 and MM7, but in MM8 things like fire/earth elementals deal so much damage that your characters are often unconscious (and it's even worse if you don't have Preservation on).

3 Knights, a Cleric, and a Necromancer seemed to work best if dragons aren't used. You lose a couple utility skills from Dark Elves, but the merchant can be made up easily with trading triangles and the disarm skill has rings to boost.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 15 Oct 2011, 05:36

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: Even with magic immune creatures, Sorcerers in MM6/MM7 always had a few spells at their disposal that dealt physical damage to deal with them anyway.

MM6: Deadly Swarm, Blades, Implosion, Rock Blast and Shrapmetal to deal with Guardians of Varn (the red ones).

MM7: Acid Burst to deal with Medusas (Earth Blast DOES deal earth damage in mm7).
He he he... and I don't even know medusas can be hit by acid burst. Perhaps u'r right, thought truly, when I played that mission to medusas' hole, I never choose to fight them. Exchanging arrows with stone-gaze seemed too...risky for me.

What I'm worried most in MM7 wasn't medusa, but the golems. These monsters not only receive very little (mostly next to nothing) from magic, but also comes close enough to explode even at death. Very great these monsters didn't cut out for MM8. While gogs did explode on death, they're quite easily killed from distance.

Return to “Might and Magic”