Can somebody PLEASE help me get Heroes III running?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
momo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Can somebody PLEASE help me get Heroes III running?

Unread postby momo » 23 Mar 2006, 16:27

I apologize in advance if I am being incredibly thick, but I am having a problem withe Heroes III, and I don't know if a "patch" will take care of the problem b/c I don't see a list of things the patches are supposed to fix...

I am running Windows XP (Without service pack 2) and have Direct X 9 (I believe) currently on my system.
I could swear that Heroes worked before I put on XP on...

At any rate, I had to delete H3 from my hard drive, and I have recently reinstalled it.

Upon installation, it gives system requirememnts that my PC passed, with the exception of the "Direct X" part, where it indicates that my system failed.

I don't know if the game doesn't recognize a later version or exactly what the deal is, but when I try and launch H3, I just get an error message.

Can someone PLEASE help me get back to one of my favorite games?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 23 Mar 2006, 16:29

You could try downloading one of the patches from the CH main page. The DirectX error is normal but the game should install and run regardless.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Can somebody PLEASE help me get Heroes III running?

Unread postby Pitsu » 23 Mar 2006, 18:20

momo wrote: I don't know if the game doesn't recognize a later version or exactly what the deal is, but when I try and launch H3, I just get an error message.
To my experience the newer Directx versions work great despite the H3 detection system at some moment during install says "failed". However, have i missed something or you did not say what does the error message exactly tell you? Can you copy paste the message text please?

momo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby momo » 23 Mar 2006, 20:40

This is what I get:

Heroes of Might and Magic® III has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: heroes3.icd AppVer: 3.0.0.0 ModName: heroes3.icd
ModVer: 3.0.0.0 Offset: 0021af14

It won't let me copy and paste anymore info in the error report, but it says it can include operating system and hardware in use...

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 23 Mar 2006, 21:05

you could try to run it in win98/95 compatibility mode. If not then try to reinstall it maybe.
When you deleted it last time, did you uninstall it or just deleted the files?
Beholder

Guard of BH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guard of BH » 21 Apr 2006, 04:05

Again this win XP ... make another particion based on win 98 or so and when u play heroes u will have to use that particion only.

I recently had bunch of problems with fresh hardware and old games they will not run because of the heavy incompatability issue. Good luck.
BH - is the name of the place where i work :)

My pic suits the animal of the year i was born :)

finkellll
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby finkellll » 20 May 2006, 19:20

just thought id bump this because im having the same problem, but i cant find where to change it to win 98 compatability :ill:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 19:29

Right click. Proprieties/Compatibility. There's a box you can check.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DungeonMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DungeonMaster » 28 May 2006, 13:49

Just to give you guys who are having a little trouble some info, when it runs ur hard drive and tells you what your system has passed or failed, if it says failed and you know you have a better w/e that it says then dont worry about it. I had it say that like 5 things failed and thats because my dirext X, ram, hard drive space, and some other stuff were WAYYYY higher than what they required. Well i just wanted to let you know about that. :|

^Dagon^
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ^Dagon^ » 06 Jun 2006, 19:13

The build-in combatibility choice of Windows XP never worked for me for any type of game.
Anyway, Heroes 3 works normally at my system (I have XP installed), however Armageddon's Blade doesn't work.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”