Favorite 4th level troops; Heart of the mid levels

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Your favorite 4th lvl troops are...

... Crusaders
11%
Medusa Queens
2%
Greater Basiliks
2%
Horned Demons
No votes
Horned Demons
No votes
Vampire Lords
39%
Silver Pegasi
3%
Ogre Magi
3%
Archmagi
8%
Energy Elementals
6%
Sharpshooters
26%

Total votes: 62

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Mar 2006, 22:11

Although i do noy play much with undeads, vampire lords got my vote. Their special is too special to be ignored. Usefull and adds space to the game.
ThunderTitan wrote: Cool pic! Is there somewhere I could get all of the creatures at that size?
Buy MM7+MM8 and extract from game files? It doesn't have *all* homm3 creatures though.

K-Dog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby K-Dog » 17 Mar 2006, 15:19

Voted for energy elementals, they´re fast, cool and cheap.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 18 Mar 2006, 12:13

Vampire Lords, with the life-draining ability, are a big help when playing Necro..

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 18 Mar 2006, 20:53

Can't ignore the power of the Vampires. They are way above the rest.
Fast, flying, no retal, gain life = no match.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 26 Mar 2006, 05:43

Either Pegas or Vamp lord... overall probably Vamp lord though.

Vamp lord is just too good overall, both for clearing neutural and big fight in general, they are impossible to ignor in big fights, giving you a huge tactical advantage if you play your cards right.

Pegas have very good value in the sense that it's super fast.. great both for map travels and taking down ranged stuff.. however it's states are too lacking and it's often the first thing to die in a rampart army (espically since the lvl 2 and lvl 5 creature in the rampart are both slow but uber tough bastards)

Crusader is okish.. but because everyone knows what they can do.. and combine with the fact that they aren't that fast... they'll rarely get a chance to dish out those dmg before being focus fired to hell... they are another unit that's hard to keep stacked.. and because crusader is the main meat shield unit for Haven... that's a problem too.... they are kinda like a vampire that hits harder but can't regen nor fly.. in the sense that they are everyone's first target...

Medusa is one weirdo, I guess the only reason they gave it a bow was so that it's not the exact same thing as baslisk.... they are somewhat mediocer for a lvl 4 range shooter, but they are tough to take down in melee... though its not like the dungeon are really lacking in this department anyway...

Baslisk are quiet good... except that the fortress really don't lack a strong walker.... and barring gnolls the other 2 walkers in the fortress are the well within the top 5 walkers.. which kinda reduce the value of this guy.. except that he comes first.. still though if there was one thing the fortress needed here it was probably a better shooter and to a lesser extend a tougher flier (both are sorely lacking for the fortress.. but the former even more so)

Archmage is a very important unit for the tower... bridging the large gap between gremlins and Titans.. but it's just not particularly "great" in any other sense... but essentially just a weaker monk (and monks aren't that hot either)

Ogre Magi is an underrated unit, if it was even 1 speed faster it would be well up there amoung the best in this tier... it's tough and it's special goes insanely well with the stronghold (as lusted behemoth/T-bird/cyclopes are all total killers) .. speed is a significant downside though, espically since all the good lust candidates are significantly faster than him)

Demons are decent.. but nothing special... and again the inferno really don't lack a good walker... a early flier or better range guy would have been much more useful.
The river of time wash away all heroes

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 12 Apr 2006, 15:01

I would say, sharpshooter are the way to go. Split them into 2-3 stacks (preferably with the same numbers) and you have hell of a shooter army :)
And with Gelu as a hero (though not on ordinary maps) you are nearly unstoppable because sharpshooters have solid speed and will wipe out most of the units before they get close. Add a no range/obstacle penalty and you get the picture.

Vampire Lords are also very good units (life drain, undead, no retaliation) but since I have already chosen my favourite they should remain at second place for now, untill I change my mind :D

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 12 Apr 2006, 20:04

Nice comments there, RollingWave
Gljivko aka Vortex wrote:I would say, sharpshooter are the way to go. Split them into 2-3 stacks (preferably with the same numbers) and you have hell of a shooter army
And with Gelu as a hero (though not on ordinary maps) you are nearly unstoppable because sharpshooters have solid speed and will wipe out most of the units before they get close. Add a no range/obstacle penalty and you get the picture.
Yes, but they're so fragile any loss becomes a tragedy.

And, Gelu does not have any combat bonuses with Sharps; He merely can upgrade Elves and Archer to sharps, IHRC.
(Translated from Silent Speak)

MacFearsom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MacFearsom » 20 Apr 2006, 20:56

I opted for Archmagi seeing as I utilize them more freqently than the others.

I like Sharpshooters, just don't see them too often.

Vampire Lords I respect, but I'm generally driving a stake through their hearts rather than generating them for my use.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 20 Apr 2006, 23:29

voted Crusaders.

Vampire Lords have a certain 'awesomeness' factor to them, and perform pretty well with their no retal and life drain, but I just have to go with Crusaders. In terms of gameplay they are just tough and slow, and can deal excellent damage, twice. But I really like them because of their concept: they are the foot soldier, the ground pounder, they are merely humans who physically are no match for all these monsters and basilisks and all, but despite that they keep on going, struggling against these powerful creatures, for the sake of their Crusade, and thus they transcend their weakness and come out as formidable fighters, who will advance slowly but surely and grimly into battle and deal double damage wtih each stroke. Although they are the meat shield and will be targeted from many sides, they will go until they die, in the name of their mission, and they will die surrounded by the slain bodies of their enemies. I just can't help but admire them.
Happy Millenium!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Apr 2006, 19:00

LordHoborgXVII wrote:voted Crusaders.

Vampire Lords have a certain 'awesomeness' factor to them, and perform pretty well with their no retal and life drain, but I just have to go with Crusaders. In terms of gameplay they are just tough and slow, and can deal excellent damage, twice. But I really like them because of their concept: they are the foot soldier, the ground pounder, they are merely humans who physically are no match for all these monsters and basilisks and all, but despite that they keep on going, struggling against these powerful creatures, for the sake of their Crusade, and thus they transcend their weakness and come out as formidable fighters, who will advance slowly but surely and grimly into battle and deal double damage wtih each stroke. Although they are the meat shield and will be targeted from many sides, they will go until they die, in the name of their mission, and they will die surrounded by the slain bodies of their enemies. I just can't help but admire them.
What a fresh approach to the subject. Cool! B-)

Pallas Athene
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pallas Athene » 21 Apr 2006, 22:06

me love :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 22:08

Pallas Athene wrote:me love :-D
The smiley?! Or what? I would expect a godess of wisdom to be more chatty.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Guard of BH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guard of BH » 25 Apr 2006, 08:43

Vampire lords can be invinsible during a battle because they regenerate really good and non retalition ability makes them almost level 5 creature. Basically you have to shoot them down before going into closecombat...hmm i did not test them against level 5 creatures, would be really cool to see the numbers ^^.
BH - is the name of the place where i work :)

My pic suits the animal of the year i was born :)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”