noobish questions about spells

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

noobish questions about spells

Unread postby pikeman93 » 05 Aug 2011, 13:52

Throughout the game, is there going to be only 5 random level 1 spells, 4 level 2 spells, etc. in your own city? How do you get more spells? Do you have to siege another city and get spells from there? What if there's that one spell (i.e. Bless) that you want so dearly, but out of all the cities that you occupied, none of the cities have it?

Thanks.

EDIT: This is for HOMM3

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 05 Aug 2011, 15:53

Mostly through capturing other cities and developing mage guild there,or by getting confux grail. Also keep in mind that by default, all towns have restrictions on spells, like you cant get Armageddon in good towns, and there is no bless in evil towns, generally there is alot of such restrictions by town type, you can check them in map editor.
There is also buildings on world maps that grants spells (magic shrines 1-3 level, pyramid). Some artifacts like scrolls, tomes, hat also grant spells as long as you hold them.
You can also learn spells through eagle eye but generally it's a waste of skill slot, as it's only 1-4 level, and 90% you will get spells you copy eventually anyway, and it will be some generic spell.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Aug 2011, 16:06

There's also the Scholar skill. If you have someone like Alamar who knows Resurrect, and a hero with expert Scholar, you can make all your heroes learn that spell.

In SoD, you can also often find spells in Pandora's Boxes.

Oh, and Tower towns get more spells by using a Library.

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 05 Aug 2011, 16:11

Shrines only teach one spell, no? What are the chances that the shrine will have the spell that I want?

Also, if I were to occupy two towns, what are the possibility that the second town has a spell that the first town already has?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 05 Aug 2011, 16:26

Shrines only teach one spell, no?

Yes
What are the chances that the shrine will have the spell that I want?
Slim.. 1/number of spells in that level, unless that shrine have spell preset in editor.
Also, if I were to occupy two towns, what are the possibility that the second town has a spell that the first town already has?
Just as big as getting a new spell, It's purely random, only influenced by town's restriction.

IIRC in WOG mod there was possibility to ruin mage guild and rebuild it for new spells.
Last edited by Tress on 05 Aug 2011, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Aug 2011, 16:28

Spells probabilities for each faction guild.

As you can see, for example searching for Armageddon in other towns except inferno, necropolis and dungeon has zero chance. And even between those three, the chances are not equal.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Aug 2011, 21:52

Wow, Magic Arrow sure is popular. Is it because it comes as a spell in all four of the schools?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Aug 2011, 22:55

Yes. It's also part of a basic equipment for Dead Knights. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 06 Aug 2011, 07:25

Random maps are full of spell scrolls and Pandora Boxes, some of them contain large spell set. Also, there's an object called Scholar which may give you spell.

You can also get a Tome of Magic or visit Pyramid. I hope that's enough ;)
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”