Beginner's questions

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Beginner's questions

Unread postby pikeman93 » 19 Jul 2011, 06:11

1) How many heroes do you make during the first 2 weeks? Is it worth spending $2500 just so you could scout better? Also, if you make a second hero, wouldn't that "dilute" your forces by half? Is it better just to use one army to kill all the nearby hordes?

2) On maps that has no city hall and only has the Lvl 1 dwelling built, do you normally build citadel on the first week or on the second week?

3) Which hero is overall better, the might hero or the magic hero?

4) Aside from town halls/city halls, gold mines, hydro mills, and dwarf huts, what are some other good ways to make money? What resources would be best sold inside marketplaces to make money?

Thanks.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 19 Jul 2011, 08:35

1. Depends on map's richness. On some random maps you can get instant outburst with all 8 heroes involved. On typical free-for-all maps, one scout may be enough. In some custom epic scenarios, you won't need any at all.

2. Same as above. However, early Citadel is usually a priority.

3. Might heroes with secondary-skill specialties dominate. But all the big fights in this game and in the end won by magic.

4. Dwarven Treasury and other banks can be cleared quickly once you get some skill and trick AI guards. In Marketplace, sell everything you don't need. Each town demands mostly one specific precious resource.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 19 Jul 2011, 08:43

1) defiantly buy second hero. First of all, his army cost covers 2.5 k gold and combining armies will speed up expansion, even if second hero is limited to errand boy. There was even strategies before homm3 was patched to buy up heroes and ignore dwellings just to amass army. Now following heroes start with virtually no army. Further heroes depend on map and play style, as well as what heroes are available. Resource generating heroes can pay for them selves for example.

2) Haven't played for while so dont remember for exact build orders, but first of all concentrate on building income building - town,city hall. Once you have resources you can expand into unit production or you will quickly get resource blocked. Also remeber that each day you havent bought city hall over town hall cost you 1k gold, and each day with no capitol over citty hall 2k. This also depends on play style but you must keep in mind that citadel is only useful when there is more unit dwellings built.

3) Depends on race, and play style, as well as individual specialties. For example for fortress witches are rarely best choice, while warlocks(specially some with good starting spells and specs like jeddite, alamar, minotaur with meteor shower) are extremely valuable. Also stronghold and fortress have poor spell choices so you are best off with might hero, while dungeon, academy, conflux have extremely good spell potential.

4) Mostly city hall/capitol will be your main sources of income, rest is just bonus, since gold mines as a rule are rare and well guarded, while banks are usually few and can only grant boost so you can expand faster..
Selling resources deppends on race. For example as academy you never can afford to sell gems, but if you have surplus of sulfur for example and you have enaugh for guild, then you can sell them in cases you need gold.
Usually though prices on market are just too atrocious(unless you use world map marketplace, or have several towns with markets) that using it is last resort and you are blocked without those spare resources, or it is already late in game and resources arent needed anymore. Selling for gold at staring of game is usually not recommended.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jul 2011, 09:31

Make sure to put game tags in the topic title next time! Otherwise we have no idea what you are talking about. This should probably be tagged with [HoMM3].
tress wrote:defiantly <...> academy
I don't think there is anything to defy here, and the town is named Tower :D

Otherwise, I agree with Tress, but it depends on playing style and map richness. I usually can't stand low amounts of gold, so I try and get the capitol as soon as possible. And I don't trade any resources, because they are very often useful for mage guilds or if you get other towns that need those resources, plus, as pointed out, markets have draconic prices.

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 19 Jul 2011, 14:42

Thanks so much guys!

@Tress - banks? Isn't that only in the WoG addon?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 19 Jul 2011, 16:57

pikeman93 wrote:Thanks so much guys!

I mean adventure map buildings like naga bank, imp cache, dwarf treasury, naga stores. etc.
Fight guardians for cash/resources. Those are available in regular homm

Those building can boost gold income, but as said they wont be much compared to extra city hall or capitol.

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 19 Jul 2011, 17:45

I see.

Another questions about scouts: should scouts do any fighting at all? What units should I include within my scout?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jul 2011, 18:40

Usually I leave them with a single 1st level unit and make them not fight anything at all.

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 19 Jul 2011, 18:45

tress wrote:
pikeman93 wrote:Thanks so much guys!

I mean adventure map buildings like naga bank, imp cache, dwarf treasury, naga stores. etc.
Fight guardians for cash/resources. Those are available in regular homm

Those building can boost gold income, but as said they wont be much compared to extra city hall or capitol.
Rob four banks in week 2 and you will see the difference ;) Capitol needs five day to pay back and is not essential when you can just rush quickly for treasures.
If you want to know how to win XL map in week 3, watch Maretti's videos.
Tower
Castle
Of course it requires skill, luck and a very rich map.

Scouts should not be given any units unless you really find some additional forces laying around, from a Pandora or a bunch of joiners / captured town. Then they may become more useful and gather some guarded pickups, or attack opponent's scouts.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 19 Jul 2011, 19:43

It is not only about how many days the Capitol needs to pay back, but mostly about those first week precious days which you wasted to make capitol (town hall, blacksmith, citadel, castle and city hall). For some factions add the mage guild also, which is not always necessary to build creatures. So you lose 5-6 days + all the second week, where you will obviously have nothing to recruit.

But on very scarce maps/very strong monsters it is a good idea to build first gold then creatures. Such maps are rare still because none likes them :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Jul 2011, 05:15

Salamandre wrote:Such maps are rare still because none likes them :)
That's exactly the maps I like the most! I guess that would explain why I prefer economy buildings...

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 20 Jul 2011, 09:52

I mean maps which have not enough resources to give on first week if you really know to fight are not so popular, because everyone can build capitol, but only few can build level 7 before second week. It is mostly about competitive play, 1vs1, because in single mode it does not make any difference what you do the first week, you will always win.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 07 Aug 2011, 06:04

GreatEmerald wrote:
That's exactly the maps I like the most! I guess that would explain why I prefer economy buildings...
sounds like randomized maps with highest possible difficulty settings :-D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”