Starcraft vs Warcraft

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Starcraft vs Warcraft

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Apr 2006, 18:04

NOTE:This topic contains both games I wanted to discuss,simply because Im not a plain spammer like some of you portrait me.So,instead of opening two separate topics,I opened just one.

So,which one took your heart more?Im leaning a bit more towards starcraft just because gameplay was much better.Even though it didnt have all the useful things of WCIII(like autocatsing)it was way more balanced.

When it comes to stories,both are marvelous.Blizzard is trully a great company when it comes to this.

My favourite faction are the protos,and favourit unit is the archon.Death knight from WCII comes in close second.

Dont let the title of the post turn this into a whole out war of fans.Both games are excelent,and are pretty much on the same leve.Discuss them equally as they deserve.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2006, 18:13

Starcraft. It's bloody Starcraft. You know how many classes I skipped just to play this one... Warcraft's fun and all, but it's Starcraft. [/fanboyism]
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Apr 2006, 19:10

I only played a couple of Warcraft III campaigns, but I liked Starcraft better. The story was just great, the missions well designed, the interface is perfect, the game ran well on most computers even when it was released.

My only complaint is that some late-game missions can get really crazy and it's hard to keep up with the computer. That's why I prefer turn-based games.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 19 Apr 2006, 20:47

I suck at Starcraft and Warcraft. Fun, despite my sucktitude.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 19 Apr 2006, 22:22

Both are indeed very very good and extremely well-honed. Starcraft really does have an amazingly wide universe and the bits we get told about are presented well in the game. In itself it is enjoyable to play, particularly in single-player.

However, Warcraft, in all three of its RTS incarnations takes it for me. It just has that feel that I do so enjoy. In WC3 they really made a brilliant blend of RTS and RPG and made it really tactical. On story I'd say that Warcraft is no worse than SC and some WC characters are even better but it's a very close-run thing.

I imgine that when they make SC2 that will be the next level, the continuation of the SC story and a superb game-mechanic to boot.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 06:17

Ah! Starcraft brings back memories. Its one of the best games in overall I have played, Broodwar is also an excellent expansion. The cinematics and the conversations with backstabbing have style and a great atmosphere and the story is just amazingly well done.

I hope for a sequel and the campaign order should be played like this:
Zerg, Protoss and last the Human for the final blow on the Zerg

Starcraft originale
Human, Zerg, Protoss

Broodwar was like this
Protoss, Human, Zerg

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 06:25

Ah,but dont forget the secret mission in brood war.That one opens so much new interesting posibilities.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 07:53

DaemianLucifer wrote:Ah,but dont forget the secret mission in brood war.That one opens so much new interesting posibilities.
Secret mission? How do I unlock, play that one?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 09:44

The mission where you need to erradicate the protos base in 45 minutes by the zerg unlocks the secret mission if you beat it under 30 minutes.

I remember I had to cheat the first time to achieve this.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 12:08

DaemianLucifer wrote:The mission where you need to erradicate the protos base in 45 minutes by the zerg unlocks the secret mission if you beat it under 30 minutes.

I remember I had to cheat the first time to achieve this.
I see, thanks for the tip :-D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The craft of stars overshadows that of war ;)

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Apr 2006, 18:50

Warcraft is wonderful, but Starcraft has to be one of the best games ever. It is elaborate, atmospheric and highly addictive. I do so hope they make a sequel. I've been playing WC3 recently, and have noticed several similarities in the storyline between it and Starcraft, for example how the good guy (Kerrigan/Artas) switches sides, etc.

En taro adun!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: The craft of stars overshadows that of war ;)

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 18:58

Metathron wrote:Warcraft is wonderful, but Starcraft has to be one of the best games ever. It is elaborate, atmospheric and highly addictive. I do so hope they make a sequel. I've been playing WC3 recently, and have noticed several similarities in the storyline between it and Starcraft, for example how the good guy (Kerrigan/Artas) switches sides, etc.

En taro adun!
Well,a good guy being seduced by evil is a very common concept.Darth Vader,for example.Or Aribeth from NWN.

My life for Aiur...I mean,Nerzul! :devil:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Apr 2006, 19:14

En taro Adun my brother :) btw...what does en taro mean exactly? ;|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 19:30

Probably long live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Apr 2006, 19:33

"Live long and prosper", perhaps? :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Apr 2006, 19:35

Yeah that fits very well. Are there other Protoss words and sentences out there?
I might recall something like: "Eka vashhata" I might be wrong of course, long since I have played SC now.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 19:45

DaemianLucifer wrote: Well,a good guy being seduced by evil is a very common concept.Darth Vader,for example.Or Aribeth from NWN.
You're also forgeting the whole "replacing their former ruler in the expansion" bit. Then again SC = Warhammer 40k, and WC = Warhammer, so story originality was never their strong point, gameplay was.

Funny thing, first time I saw Starship Troopers the movie I reminded me of SC with it's "join the army" ads.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 19:50

ThunderTitan wrote: Funny thing, first time I saw Starship Troopers the movie I reminded me of SC with it's "join the army" ads.
Thats one of the reasons I liked the movie so much.It does resemble SC a lot.Those small bugs look a lot like zerglings,and those flyers like mutalisks.And of course,the big fat bug is the overmind.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 20:09

Err... that's because Starship Troopers (book) is the original inspiration for Power Armour and the WH 40k Space Marines. And SC probably had some more direct inspiration from the book as well (cerebrates/overmind).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Apr 2006, 20:17

Cerebrates are a very interesting concept.Since overmind has a complete telephatic control over every zerg,making it the only brain of them all,does that mean that cerebrates are something like split personalities of the overmind?

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”