Hardest game you have ever played

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Fenris
Pixie
Pixie

Hardest game you have ever played

Unread postby Fenris » 19 Apr 2006, 11:04

Inspired from the worst-game-thread here's the hardest, or most frustrating, game you've ever played-thread.

I guess I'm supposed to start, but I'm not really sure. Might be the old game Another World. So. Frustrating. Mostly because you can't be wounded or anything like that; you just die and have to start the level all over again when something happens. And that happens often.
Hey, I know where we are! We're in that place where I didn't know where we were before!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 Apr 2006, 11:41

The hardest game I have playe d gotta be either The Thing or Far Cry, I'll take The Thing because its atmosphere is right out terrifying and nasty to play! The reason is because its more like an survival horror, action game with very little spare ammo to find around the maps, making things even worse as those buggers seem to never die!!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Apr 2006, 13:00

The Baldur's Gate games come to mind: some of the expansions of the games were simply brutal, especially if you cranked up the difficulty setting or played with a no-so-optimal party.

I mentioned Ultima Underworld 2 in another thread: near the endgame, you are travelling through a bizarre world, jumping on platforms and trying to avoid the hordes of enemy creatures. Much like the Half Life ending, if I remember correctly.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2006, 13:11

I still haven't finished all the campaigns from RoE. :disagree:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 19 Apr 2006, 13:19

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

For the sheer mass of general knowledge you had to have to complete it!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 Apr 2006, 14:05

ThunderTitan wrote:I still haven't finished all the campaigns from RoE. :disagree:
Neither have I :bored:

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 19 Apr 2006, 15:18

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of this game but it was when I was about 8 (ten years ago) called Majestic. It was this game where you were on a rescue mission to a ship called majestic.

The ship had been overrun by "something" and you were charged to fidn out what was wrong with it. All of the doors were locked and you had to answer constant riddles to get them open and find more clues to how the crew died. I think an alien attacked the ship or something and I do know that there was supposed to be a sequal to the game becasue it was called Majestic: Part I. TO this day it is the only game I have ever played and not beaten. Unfortunatly, I will never beat it becasue it ran on a WIN 95.

I wish I could find a website about it but it seems impossible. I do know about five years ago I found a walkthrough that was in German. So it is possible to finish the game.

Here is a picture of the box: Image
Last edited by Echo_ on 19 Apr 2006, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Apr 2006, 15:28

I'd put the new metroid games (GC) on the list, especially at the hard difficulty. They were tough!
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 Apr 2006, 16:10

Then you havent tried Halo or Halo 2 on Legendary THAT is hard! :sweat:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Apr 2006, 16:50

This is a no brainer:Thief II.Thats the only game I simply had no nerves left to finish regulary.Sigh...I admit,I cheated in that one...And I did try to finish it the right way once more,but soon I was foiled again.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Apr 2006, 16:50

Orfinn wrote:Then you havent tried Halo or Halo 2 on Legendary THAT is hard! :sweat:
I have tried Halo on Legendary. I got to about level 4 (the snowy one) before I gave up and decided it was too hard to be enjoyable.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Apr 2006, 17:02

Id like to add commandos to the list of extremly hard games.But just the first part.In sequeles you could pretty much kill of everything on the map and just strole to your objective.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Apr 2006, 17:40

There was an old RPG called Dragonwars, where not only did you have to beat a really tough boss, but had to drag his body into the underworld and throw it in a pit with him coming back to life every few moves. By the time he was really dead, you were very glad to see him go.

There was also a flight sim called Elite, where I never did manage to make a landing.

Finally, there's Chessmaster (edition 10) that frankly has me whipped. I'm a pretty decent player--won a couple of tournaments in my younger days--but this son-of-a-bitch plays better than Deep Blue.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Fenris
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fenris » 19 Apr 2006, 19:47

I had forgot about Commandos and Thief II. Man, those were hard. The first levels in Thief II were the only fun ones IMO. After that it was too hard for me.
Hey, I know where we are! We're in that place where I didn't know where we were before!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Apr 2006, 22:06

Probably Line of Sight Vietnam. That was either harder than anything else on the planet, or my lack of experience with that type of game became apparent after a few seconds. I never got past the first guard post...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 19 Apr 2006, 22:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:This is a no brainer:Thief II.Thats the only game I simply had no nerves left to finish regulary.Sigh...I admit,I cheated in that one...And I did try to finish it the right way once more,but soon I was foiled again.
Yes! Was a real job getting through them (but I did, for much satisfaction).

Not so sure about Commandos (the first one) because I found that I took that in my stride and got it finished pretty quickly.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 06:20

Corribus wrote:
Orfinn wrote:Then you havent tried Halo or Halo 2 on Legendary THAT is hard! :sweat:
I have tried Halo on Legendary. I got to about level 4 (the snowy one) before I gave up and decided it was too hard to be enjoyable.
I got through the mission on Legendary, thanks to the Warthog in the open, and indoors? Alot of hit and run tactics helps, pistol and rocket launcher are the key weapons here. And use the sniper rifle while running up the pyramid.

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 20 Apr 2006, 12:10

Last year I tried to play Might and Magic 1 :disagree:
I did not understand if i was moving or not untill i got killed by some lizzards, skeletons, other baddies all the time. ;|
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

pasto-sor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pasto-sor » 21 Apr 2006, 20:42

baldurs gate 2... hard mode :S

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 21 Apr 2006, 23:50

I'm just playing through grim fandango again atm and it's very tough. I'm majorly stuck on the forklift puzzle at the moment :).

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”