Any boardgamers?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 27 Mar 2009, 17:40

Gekneldeland wrote:@Jolly joker. That Titan looks amazing!

Seem to be a old game but with a very loyal following... some good strategy involved. You seem to play your engaged battles on a another map (?). There's a Valley games edition 2008 - a reprint of the original Avalon Hill title. Looks stunning...

I want this! :-D
Lol, yes. That's why I said, it would be very enticing for Heroes players. You have 2 sorts of maps, the general game map and the battle maps (each terrain has its own battle map).

A real classic.
ZZZzzzz....

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Mar 2009, 18:17

Jolly Joker wrote:If talking about FANTASY boardgames you have to name this one: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/714
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_(board_game)

I remember playing it a couple of times, but in my opinion this was too much leisure/luck. Depending on the gamers, though, you may have fun with it.
Back in the 80s, it was a good game to introduce a friend to fantasy gaming, as the rules were very easy to understand. There was a lack of balance between the character classes and we decided to ban the dwarf because he could enter the center section without a sweat. I also remember one particular card that was a game breaker, where you lost all your equipment to a bunch of thieves.

There is a new edition of that game available, but I read that it didn't age very well now that we have access to much more interesting games of the same genre.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 28 Mar 2009, 16:59

I played Talisman (but it was a translated version) a long time ago, but I didn't know that it had any expansions. Well, we learn something new every day. Now it makes me want to play it again.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Gekneldeland
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gekneldeland » 15 Apr 2009, 12:05

After this long absence and some hectic War of the Ring playing I have made the following conclusions:

First. This is the first time I play anything outside the usual games and outside the cope of D&D. So my oppinion might not be that informed:

The Game (WotR)is wonderful! We (me and me Brother) actually spend the whole long weekend on the thing. It's a joy to play except for the bloody units that are sometimes way too much for the small territory spaces....

Boring? No. And I say again NO. I love the whole ring bearer strategy. The units are wonderful and begs a good artistic hand with a brush :). The gameplay is light hearted but deep enough to hook you.

It took me and my brother pretty much a whole day to get our heads around WotR... but it was definately worth it. First few games we messed up big-time - actually pretty funny.

You have to read that manual Carefully. It's all there, but you have to read, read again and cross reference.

Theres quite a bit of luck involved but it keeps the game very eventful and entertaining. I don't mind.

I dunno how some people figure the thing out in 4 hours but whatever their method, we had a blast through our 8 hours.

All in all, a Terrific Game!

Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Zubbus » 05 Jul 2009, 11:58

Not sure what you mean by "Warhammer Fantasy board game".
Well there's a "Warhammer Quest" board game. Imo an excellent game. Would be the best board game I've played if there's 3 people on the same wavelength around.

And there's a "Warhammer Fantasy RPG" which is a pen and paper RPG based more on books. Just that is does use the Games Workshop's warhammer system, especially if you are expanding to play it out on the table with the figures.

Hero Quest is definitely a bit of a joke, especially by today's standard. It's got about 50% the depth and details of the original D&D board game and and 5% of Warhammer Quest's. But if you pick up a box for cheap, the figures are very nice for expanding your Warhammer Quest with :D

What I am interested is whether the WoW or Lord of the Rings board games are any good...
The icy yet intense predator hails from Antarctica. His focused eyes betray nothing but lethal instincts. In those eyes every adversary is but a mere fish.

Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Holly » 07 Jul 2009, 16:19

Play Cosmic Encounter. That's a game I never get tired of, and each replay is totally different ^^.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Jul 2009, 16:24

I've been playing a bit of Ticket to Ride recently (my game last week on the patio with a few bottles of beer was *very* enjoyable!). A nice and relaxing game with more strategy than one would expect at first glance.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 08 Jul 2009, 02:17

I liked Ticket to Ride a lot the one and only time I played it. The $50 price tag, however, is a bit steep. I had to choose between that and the Carcassonne Big Box 2 for about the same price. My wife likes Carcassonne more, so that was the winner for the time being. :D
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2010, 09:52

I played Citadels a few times this month... it was fun, but i guess it's more of a card game. I'm thinking of getting it myself too.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Aug 2010, 11:53

I'd forgotten we had this thread.

I played Twilight Imperium again, this time with only four players. I enjoyed it a lot more. The play time was only 6.5 hours. We're pretty meticulous with the rules though, so I'd say that's on the high end for four people.

Also, I bought Ticket to Ride and the USA 1910 expansion recently. The expansion is well worth the price, if nothing else to get full-size cards. Those tiny cards are a pain.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 Aug 2010, 13:37

Kristo wrote:I'd forgotten we had this thread.

I played Twilight Imperium again, this time with only four players. I enjoyed it a lot more. The play time was only 6.5 hours. We're pretty meticulous with the rules though, so I'd say that's on the high end for four people.

Also, I bought Ticket to Ride and the USA 1910 expansion recently. The expansion is well worth the price, if nothing else to get full-size cards. Those tiny cards are a pain.
If you only wanted large cards, then you should have simply purchased TTR: Europe instead :D

I've gotten my immediate family to try Pandemic recently, and they liked it. My usual gaming group (EPGS) had a very light turnout at the last meeting, since many members were at the World Boardgaming Championships last week- although I did play Chrononauts for the first time. Interesting game.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Aug 2010, 14:17

ThunderTitan wrote:I played Citadels a few times this month... it was fun, but i guess it's more of a card game. I'm thinking of getting it myself too.
I love Citadels. It's amazing how the game can work so well no matter if you're two or six players.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2010, 14:52

Gaidal Cain wrote: I love Citadels. It's amazing how the game can work so well no matter if you're two or six players.
So i should definitely get it then... i wasn't sure if it would work as well with less players (might just be 3-4 who'll actually bother playing when we go to the beach...)
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Aug 2010, 06:57

It's quite different when there's 2 or 3 players, since each get two characters, but I like that as well. You should see if you can get the one with the expansion, so you have a ninth character (I think most copies of the game seels with it) - we've played with the house rule that you throw one character away at random between the first and second round of choosing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Aug 2010, 11:04

Yeah, they have the one with the XP: http://redgoblin.ro/shop/#Product=Citadels

And it also gives you alternate cards, which is cool.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 13 Dec 2010, 02:36

While they are not a boardgames per se (they're pen&paper RPGs), did anyone play FFG's Dark Heresy or Deathwatch?

I'm on fence whether to get (one of) them or not.
Are they any good?
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Dec 2010, 03:24

Shameless plug for this and any other unanswered questions. You could ask on http://boardgames.stackexchange.com/ if no one here has played those games.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 03 Jul 2011, 15:50

I've been checking out boardgames recently. Good ones worth mentioning are:

Starcraft the board game, + Brood War expansion: Self explanatory. Board game by Fantasy Flight Games. This board game has high marks on production value, minatures quantity/quality, and rules fun/depth.

Rune Wars: This game must be inspired by HOMM. Watch the Youtube video for it and you'll know what I mean. Also by Fantasy Flight. High production value, and the rules seem fun.

Descent: Journey Into The Dark + many expansions: This is what Heroquest would be, if it graduates from grade school. The minis are f-ing beautiful.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 04 Jul 2011, 01:29

Yes, I play boardgames, the greatest one of all: chess ;)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jul 2011, 05:47

Had board game night. Sneak win in Settlers: three knights in the same round + library.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”