A Fix for Might and Magic IX Loading Screen Issues

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Cinder Raccoon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

A Fix for Might and Magic IX Loading Screen Issues

Unread postby Cinder Raccoon » 27 Jun 2011, 20:22

Hey guys! I don't honestly know if anyone cares anymore, but I found a way to prevent Might and Magic IX from hanging on loading screens.

If you've ever tried to play MM9 and after loading a game all you could see was the loading screen but you could hear the game running behind it, then I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I found that by deleting the loading screen and the loading boat images, the game will properly load up the game interface, so you won't be stuck at the dumb loading screen for an eternity until you alt-tab.

That's right dear folks, I said no more alt-tabbing.

The needed files(aswell as instructions,) are in the zip below. And don't worry, it's completely painless and easy:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HFPHB8MD

P.S. I apoligize in advace if this isn't the right place to post this, but it seemed like a good place.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 28 Jun 2011, 01:04

Cool stuff! Would this patch work for Legends of Might and Magic too? LOMM also uses the Lithtech Engine and many people running Vista and Win 7 have reported frozen loading screens. It's a different interface I guess, but it's the same concept.

Cinder Raccoon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cinder Raccoon » 28 Jun 2011, 01:36

MMXAlamar wrote:Cool stuff! Would this patch work for Legends of Might and Magic too? LOMM also uses the Lithtech Engine and many people running Vista and Win 7 have reported frozen loading screens. It's a different interface I guess, but it's the same concept.
If it's the exact same issue, then I'd assume that it would work. I can't test it myself as I don't have Legends of Might and Magic, but I can tell you exactly what I did.

Assuming it's the same problem, and that LOMM uses .REZ files for all its stuff, here's what you do:

1. Get the tools necesarry to extract .REZ files, which I will conveniently post a link to: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TU9HFVVN

2. Using the RezXtract tool, browse over to the .REZ file you suspect the loading screen is in, and extract it.

3. Go into the folder created by the tool in your LOMM data file(or wherever it puts it), and then delete any .pcx files related to the loading screen in that folder.

4. Put the .REZ file that had the loading screen stuff in it somewhere where the game can't find it. If LOMM works the same way as MM9 does, it should read the folder created from the .REZ file instead of the now missing .REZ file, and since it won't show you any loading screens now, hopefully the game won't lock up or whatever it does.

5. If that alone doesn't work and instead of no loading screen at all you're getting a placeholder image, then you'll need to go through similar steps to find and delete said placeholder image so that it REALLY doesn't have anything at all to show you. In the case of MM9, the placeholder was NULL.PCX

Anyway, I hope this helps! ;)

P.S. If anyone's curious, I got the .REZ tools and a general idea of what to do from this place: http://www.mpgh.net/forum/293-combat-ar ... orial.html

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 28 Jun 2011, 16:08

Thanks! I'll try that tonight and let you know if it works out.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 29 Jun 2011, 19:15

Cinder Raccoon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cinder Raccoon » 02 Jul 2011, 21:23

Sweet! Glad I could help.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Jul 2011, 22:18

Lol apparently it works for some people and not for others, but one of our community members is working on an application that will update the screen fix.

You've been a big help in finding initial info on the loading screen fix though!

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Bad news...

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 31 Jul 2012, 20:53

I just followed the link to try to get the instructions referenced and the site has been siezed by the federal government. Not going to get help there any time soon I guess...

Return to “Might and Magic”