Tips for the Demo Maps

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Apr 2006, 15:28

Some people were a little surprised by the difficulty of the Heroes V demo. Timing is crucial on some scenarios, so there is not time to walk around and look at the scenery, no matter how pretty it is. Below are a couple of tips from the forums, which include some minor spoilers:

<ul><li>Inferno Campaign Map: <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=1370">Fabrice</a> suggests getting speed bonus from items and buildings, ans skipping everything else. It's safe to say he knows what he is talking about.

<li>Haven Campaign Map: After rescuing Isabel, give her all your armies and wait for Agrael the the towm. <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=1377">ThunderTitan</a> knows the location of the Tears of Asha if you're stuck afterwards.

<li>Standalone Map: There are various tips on how to complete the map <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=1360&postdays=0&postord ... 5">here</a>. Basically, find some backups and hit and run the enemy.</ul>

Do a little reading. There's still lots of time to refine your skills before the final game comes out.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1145287730
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Apr 2006, 15:44

In the Inferno campaign you also have to buy cretures from the inferno building in the underground, as you get attacked as soon as you surface. Also grab the boots at the start of the campaign, and take logistics as a skill if offered at lvl up.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

niteshade6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby niteshade6 » 17 Apr 2006, 16:34

Probably the most important thing to grab on the Inferno campaign (other then speed boosters) are the neutral stacks of cerebi. They give your army the biggest boost you will get on that map.

quick detours for easy experience are worthwhile too. Experience can give you the logistics skill. Just don't go more then a couple steps out of your way.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Malicen » 17 Apr 2006, 20:41

One thing I was not clear on when I played the game was in Haven campaign. I was the first to reveal the location of the Grail and the next moment, before even visiting the final obelisk CPU player went there and took the grail. Luckily I was faster than him and destroyed his hero and took the grail from him. But I guess it is rather stupid that CPU player can "guess" where the grail is when you claim the final obelisk? Isn't this a bad thing?

And I do not like the thing that when you kill enemy hero you can not see what artifacts you got from him.

Everything else is GREAT!!!
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Apr 2006, 22:32

Malicen wrote:One thing I was not clear on when I played the game was in Haven campaign. I was the first to reveal the location of the Grail and the next moment, before even visiting the final obelisk CPU player went there and took the grail. Luckily I was faster than him and destroyed his hero and took the grail from him. But I guess it is rather stupid that CPU player can "guess" where the grail is when you claim the final obelisk? Isn't this a bad thing?
Try digging for the grail without knowing it's exat location- you'll get a message in what direction to search... And you be glad that it doesn't work like in H3, where the Grail would have been gone if you defeted the hero carrying it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 17 Apr 2006, 22:41

I sure as hell hope the final shrink-wrap version isn't like that. I don't

understand why so many map makers, including the company employees, apparently go to a great deal of trouble to make a fairly

attractive/beautiful map and then put a time limit on them. This usually means it is nothing more than a frantic race of covering the shortest distance between point A and point B. When we play we like

to explore the entire map, enjoying the effort that the mapmaker put into creating it. Basically, we learned early on that if there is a time limit, we simply don't play the scenario.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Apr 2006, 22:51

A frantic race can be fun sometimes- if the people who created it knows what they're doing, and don't have to go to too extreme pains to make it. Of course, a smart mapmaker only decorates what is supposed to be visible, and takes as many shortcuts as possible for everything else...

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Apr 2006, 22:55

Gaidal Cain - Oh yeah? I digged at the leprechaun and I didn't get any clue whatsoever. There was some text I think, but no clue.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Apr 2006, 23:07

Maybe you have to be somewhat close. All I know is that I got a message when digging something like 7 steps away. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was straight north of it.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Apr 2006, 05:39

I agree with Towering. Timed maps are fun once in awhile, but for the demo (don't get me wrong, I'm grateful we have one) to come with a single map that was a bit more laid back. The Fall of the Falcon or whatever it is called, is ok but it would have been nice to be able to recruit different heroes. It's a very minor complaint and aside from that, the demo has been great.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Malicen » 18 Apr 2006, 07:59

So when you try to dig for a grail in a wrong place you get directions where to dig for it? Then I could just dig here and there and find it's location, probably by random, without visiting the obelisks. I dunno. MAybe that's a good idea, but I don't like it.
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Apr 2006, 10:39

Yeu have to dig somewhere close to it. They probably implemented that because in the former games you could miss the spot by very little if you didn't pay attention. Maybe FC hates that... :D

And the maps are timed only in the begining, and on the Haven map you can actualy recruit all the heroes, the ones that are in anyway.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

noahmo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby noahmo » 18 Apr 2006, 14:01

This reminds me of Warcraft III, Etherlords II, & Heroes all in one. That's all fine, but I also agree w/Towering. Etherlords II was nice, but it never brought me back like Heroes III did. Etherlords was very much like the "A to B" approach. (though they did let you explore the whole map by making you go in a very linear path) The creatures and thier abilities are what made that one fun for me. If this becomes a race it would be a disappointment. The strategy & exploration aspects are a must here.

I do like the menus and stat pages, miss the classic paper doll.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Apr 2006, 20:04

I stand corrected Titan.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

DarkeN Q
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tips for the Demo Maps

Unread postby DarkeN Q » 19 Apr 2006, 15:12

The most annoying thing about all games ever developed by Nival is that you often have to do exactly right things in exactly right time to achieve something (basically to simply survive). I've no access to the demo yet, but

from your posts can conclude that Nival ain't going to lower the plank and the release will feature pretty tough campaigns. Fan mapmakers will have a hard time trying to do even more difficult than these...

Return to “News”