H6 Fire Elemental

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2011, 18:36

The Fire Elemental in all its molten lava-like glory.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=543
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Jun 2011, 19:41

Why do I get the feeling that they have no idea what fire is? Lava is not fire. It's simply a rock exposed to heat. That's something they got right in HoMM3 Conflux - an upgrade of an Earth elemental, not fire.

Still, I like HoMM4 elementals the most. They look naturally - Fire elemental is a huge torch, Water elemental is a puddle of water, Earth elemental is a rock face (pun intended), Air elemental is a copy of the Storm elemental in HoMM3 (well, I guess they ran out of ideas).

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby JSE » 22 Jun 2011, 22:47

I agree that the Heroes 4 elementals are the best yet. Each of them was unique in terms of looks and abilities.

And this one *really* looks more like a magma or lava elemental. Maybe sheer "fire" seemed to simplistic to them. The Heroes 6 artists obviously don't understand that less can be more.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Re: H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby Darkström » 23 Jun 2011, 10:28

JSE wrote:And this one *really* looks more like a magma or lava elemental. Maybe sheer "fire" seemed to simplistic to them. The Heroes 6 artists obviously don't understand that less can be more.
That's unfortunately true. The H6 creatures don't look bad, but way too fancy for my liking.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jun 2011, 16:36

JSE wrote:The Heroes 6 artists obviously don't understand that less can be more.
Less is more than more.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby Akul » 23 Jun 2011, 23:20

Even if he does understand, he won't care. Thats simply his style and taste.

At best, you can say that Ubi didn't take into consideration the fact that H1-4 fans have a certain preferred style.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby JSE » 23 Jun 2011, 23:31

Isn't the continuation of style also an important aspect of creating an actual sequel? I believe that the art of the original Heroes games (1-4) had an important influence on the characteristic mood of the series.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby hellegennes » 24 Jun 2011, 02:53

That ship has sailed with H5. The last game radically changed the style and artistic direction of the series.

oUcH
Peasant
Peasant

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby oUcH » 24 Jun 2011, 06:47

GreatEmerald :The Heroes 6 artists obviously don't understand that less can be more.

-- Made me laugh , like you're talking to children ,but it still rings true.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Jun 2011, 07:56

hellegennes wrote:That ship has sailed with H5. The last game radically changed the style and artistic direction of the series.
True. They seem to have stopped caring about HoMM players and started to care about WoW (or similar) players.

Kalata
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby Kalata » 24 Jun 2011, 11:13

I wonder how the (legs????) are floating...

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 24 Jun 2011, 13:46

Also take into consideration that maybe the developers don't want to give us the same stuff we've already gotten. Yeah, the fire elemental that is actual animated flame is simple and true to the flavor, but we've also seen that before. Like three times.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby JSE » 24 Jun 2011, 16:11

Diversity could have been achieved in subtle ways -- it wouldn't have been necessary to change the style radically.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby hellegennes » 24 Jun 2011, 16:12

What are you talking about? H2-4 didn't have the same elementals. Apart from H2 and H3 being a bit similar, H4's elementals were completely different. Moreover, all of the games tried to sport new designs for all creatures. Designs that are too similar are actually rare (how much different can a skeleton get?). That said, they all shared the same style. The artistic direction was common.

The new games shifted the direction towards Blizzard's and Game Workshop's style.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby JSE » 24 Jun 2011, 18:10

My thoughts exactly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2011, 12:58

The shape is fine, but yeah, too much rock exposed...

All of the outline should be made of fire, and they could just make the inside more solid looking...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

oUcH
Peasant
Peasant

H6 Fire Elemental

Unread postby oUcH » 25 Jun 2011, 14:30

Mby its earth elemental upgrade.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2011, 18:33

All these debris over him, rock, magma or else, seem to share the idea the artist wanted to give, say, vigor and strength, as if fire, as it is in his immaculate state, would do little as much as to lift a balloon, or else be extinguished easily. To hold strong, a fire must be great. Might be that shapeless fire was not something that brought conciousness, like having it with eyes, to say the least. How fire would fight a dragon or itself? They must be brought to a earthly level, having a concrete body, thus those rocks and magma, to have means to destroy it. Or give them a magic core, dunno.

Nowadays, imho, these elementals should more be part of spell casting, trap and the battlefield itself than fighters, unless you count those mythical creatures that controls elements by pure talent, like Avatar bending nature, shaping elementals for the duty.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jun 2011, 19:09

Panda Tar wrote: as if fire, as it is in his immaculate state, would do little as much as to lift a balloon,
While fuel might be needed rock is hardly the most ideal... and burning wood is very dangerous anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2011, 20:15

Yes, that's the idea. That's why the elements could me more reasonable as being used as...themselves. If they wanted to give the battlefield more meaning and features, burning woods could be of some use, setting the tree aflames with a fire spell and then 'elementing' it to spread - so as not to use Bend it; or perhaps give the fire a will, so as to where it'll spread next round, you see.

Sheeh. I never even watched Avatar. Dunno why I'm using this bending stuff all the time. :|
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Screenshots”