Civilization V

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 13 Oct 2010, 03:55

Someone missed the point by a mile... for the remakes to get made someone must have stil been interested in playing those games...
No, that's for everyone who likes good adventures with a modern, nice-looking visuals & good sound. Besides, your point is actually working agains you, because if those ppl were fine with playing a 20 years old game (which is what I asked you about) - there would be no profit in making SE out of it.

The rest prove my point because lets face it, they survived by being dicks...

After giving green light to Dead Space, EA doesnt look so dickish to me. What about Ubisoft or Bethesda ? I want a reason why they can't be in "lived more than 20 years" list

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2010, 13:20

MistWeaver wrote: No, that's for everyone who likes good adventures with a modern, nice-looking visuals & good sound. Besides, your point is actually working agains you, because if those ppl were fine with playing a 20 years old game (which is what I asked you about) - there would be no profit in making SE out of it.
People are graphics whores... but the rest of the game is exactly like it was almost 20 years ago... plus, it runs on new machines without having to install all sorts of stuff...

MistWeaver wrote: After giving green light to Dead Space, EA doesnt look so dickish to me. What about Ubisoft or Bethesda ? I want a reason why they can't be in "lived more than 20 years" list
Sure, 1 good thing makes up for all those yearly sports games and killing C&C...

But fine... i was exaggerating... how totally unlike me.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Feb 2011, 12:24

So, i hear THIS SONG has just won a Grammy!

Man, how many awesome songs where passed over in years passed because they where only made for the soundtrack of a game...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Coconut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Coconut » 21 Jun 2011, 20:42

To add to the discussion about the good or bad of Steam, I'm noticing something going on with the patches for Civ V that is interesting. The patches are huge; it's major surgery that is still being applied to the game. It's not just a bit of repair work, they're seriously changing things, even adding features, resources and buildings!
I think this is Steam related; I don't think the Civ team would have done this if all Civ V owners would have had to manually patch their game all the time with this new stuff. However, since patching happens automatically when the connection to Steam is enabled it seems the game makers have taken bigger liberties when applying patches.

Not everybody considers this a good thing. Read the Civ V forums and you will find some fans saying the game should have included all the new stuff already from the start. Also some are complaining that they have to learn to play the game again, so radical are the changes. Most seem to be happy with what they view as ongoing improvements of the game, though.

I'm in the camp that holds the positive view. Not about Steam itself; initially I hated the idea of being lumped with that, but if it leads to ongoing development of the game, and eventually a better game, then I'm changing my mind.
I've seen too many games released that were promising, but would have been great if only the game developers had spent more time on it instead of only applying the most basic of patch work. If the Steam deal helps game makers actually finishing their game, which in itself is a great thing of course, then I'm more than willing to live with Steam. In the end it's about the game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2011, 12:30

Coconut wrote: I think this is Steam related
Nope, it's download speeds related...

Diablo 2 had patch 1.10 years ago, and other games that had working MP clients allowed the devs to change plenty of stuff through big patches...

It's just more common now because more and more people have good internet connections and the d/l's are faster.

Steam just helps the dev because it allows them to not have to pay for their own servers/program.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”