[H3] How do you enable expansion pack heroes on a map?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
LoDebar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

[H3] How do you enable expansion pack heroes on a map?

Unread postby LoDebar » 19 Jun 2011, 09:01

I've made a map. On the map specifications box, I've checked that it's a Shadow of Death map. On the Heroes subscreen, I've checked the box for every hero.

And yet the new heroes can't be selected as the starting hero. Eg. Stronghold can't recruit Boragus or Kilgor, Inferno can't recruit Xeron, Dungeon can't recruit Mutare / Drake.

I know I'm not asking for anything impossible, because I have started as Xeron on a map I downloaded. I just can't figure out what that one did different.

It's also worth noting that the heroes I listed as example do show up at the in-game taverns, I've fought several of them.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jun 2011, 18:53

Try creating a new map and choosing the expansion at the time of creation.

Also, what about placing those heroes on the map?

LoDebar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoDebar » 19 Jun 2011, 19:25

I'm sure I did choose SoD at the start of the creation - it's the default choice, and I knew I wanted some structures not in RoE. I have no interest in placing the heroes on the map, in prison or otherwise. I just wanted the option to be there, if possible.

But I did try making a random map, starting it as SoD, and I noticed something. I enabled all the heroes under map specifications, and when I went to try the map, Castle was the only one playable by human. Sir Mullich and Catherine weren't there, but RoE Lord Haart was! WTF man. I went back and enabled human play on the other teams, and Haart had been replaced by Mullich. No other campaign hero was available either.

LoDebar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoDebar » 30 Jun 2011, 13:42

I've got it! Tested it on another map too. You can't have all heroes enabled on one map! There's some upper limit. These extra heroes appeared when I disabled some others.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Some info and advice

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 01 Jul 2011, 11:49

Hmmm. I don't know what exactly went wrong with your setting up the map's properties, but what I do know is that there are 11 different campaign only heroes available for the Shadow of Death expansion map type. These campaign heroes are automatically disabled, so you will have to enable them in the map editor in order for them to appear in the tavern.

A non campaign hero called Sir Mullich, when disabled, will be replaced by the Restoration of Erathia version of Lord Haart. Note that the "regular" Lord Haart from the Armageddon's Blade is a death knight appearing with the rest of the necropolis cast of heroes and he in turn, according to my intuition, can appear on non-RoE maps simultaneously with his living version if Sir Mullich isn't there. (I haven't tested this, though)

And also, according to the H3 map editor "The minimum number of available heroes on a map is ten for each player plus one for each town."

Hope this helps.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 01 Jul 2011, 15:51

Yurian, he is right. He wants to be able to select those heros as starting heros, and this can be done only if you disable another regular hero of same class. For example, if you want to start with Roland, you have to enable him then disable Orrin.

If only enabled, expansion heros will eventually be in tavern, but never in starting options.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Jul 2011, 10:15

I did some additional testing on my own while playing a map, and I can confirm Salamandre's findings to be correct. You will indeed have to disable a hero of the same class in order to have a campaign hero serve as a starting hero.
Campaign heroes can be randomly found and recruited from the tavern after the player and the AI have recruited a number of heroes from the general hero pool.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 21 Jul 2011, 15:09

Except Lord Haart which needs more complex manipulation to trigger on map.
He is not available via editor, he is not even in.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jul 2011, 16:37

Yes he is. Just a little more alive than you'd want him to be :P

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 21 Jul 2011, 17:34

I don't speak about necro Haart, but about the castle one. Show me where he is:)

You can get him (in editor) only by placing a random hero and set his faction allowed alignments to castle. If you restart the game without going through main menu, he will be replaced by any random hero, so it is quite weird. But he will be available in tavern in regular game.

And now, the real Haart power (SOD map, not WoG!)

Isn't sweet?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jul 2011, 19:59

Huh, I thought he was an ordinary hero. I know I saw his picture plenty of times...

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 22 Jul 2011, 01:34

It is a strange hero. We know that Lord Haart as death knight has a major role in Song for the father campaign, but why we have the same hero name as knight I don't know. Even more, not selectable in editor. The bio says his departure from Enroth was due to ties with a Necromantic cult, is there any connexion with the death knight?

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 22 Jul 2011, 05:42

I think it's pretty obvious. Once he joined the dark side, his original alter-ego was removed from the game.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Jul 2011, 10:13

Hm, indeed, is he selectable in the RoE editor?

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”