MM7 questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
gunman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7 questions

Unread postby gunman » 19 Jun 2011, 16:33

Hi, long time player of MM7 and MM8 here.

I'm currently playing MM7 with GrayFace MM7 Patch v1.5.1

Some questions:

1) I have read it is easy to steal the vase in lord Markham manor with invisibility. Am I missing something, because I found it impossible with invisibility? The moment you enter the room crowded with swordsmen, your invisibility is dispelled. And even if you manage to slip past them by jumping on the table and then in the second room, your way back will be blocked. The only two ways to get the vase is either to kill the guards or get yourself killed.

2) I have noticed that clicking on bodies with a high perception character increases the chance of getting an item. I also read that a character with high luck can also obtain good items. So which is better to use for clicking on bodies, a high perception or a high luck character ?

3) Probably GrayFace patch related: playing with the option with extra chest content on, there was that trapped chest in Barrow Downs that was teleporting you in the middle of gogs on the central island. Now it didn't.

4) Also I remember that in the wine cellar in Tatalia, there was a Queen of the Dead. Now to my disappointment, there were only Necromancers/Speakers and a couple of regular Vampires.

5) Am I having bad luck? Until now I have not found a single relic/artifact. I have cleared Clancker's Lab, wine cellar, watchtower 6, killed Wormthrax and looted all chests in Titan Stronghold. Yet not a single relic.

Thanks

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: MM7 questions

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 19 Jun 2011, 16:45

gunman wrote:Hi, long time player of MM7 and MM8 here.

I'm currently playing MM7 with GrayFace MM7 Patch v1.5.1

Some questions:

1) I have read it is easy to steal the vase in lord Markham manor with invisibility. Am I missing something, because I found it impossible with invisibility? The moment you enter the room crowded with swordsmen, your invisibility is dispelled. And even if you manage to slip past them by jumping on the table and then in the second room, your way back will be blocked. The only two ways to get the vase is either to kill the guards or get yourself killed.
I have found it very, very hard myself. It's dependent on how the guards were placed the very first time you entered the manor. Since by that point most players have entered once ( to do the quill quest), when you wanna do the quest, the guards placement is set in stone for 2 years so it's impossible to save outside the manor and reload until the guards aren't in the way. (Unless you don't do the Quill quest at all...)
If you don't have a sorcerer or druid, it's also dependent on you getting lucky and finding an invisibility scroll.

gunman wrote:2) I have noticed that clicking on bodies with a high perception character increases the chance of getting an item. I also read that a character with high luck can also obtain good items. So which is better to use for clicking on bodies, a high perception or a high luck character ?
No idea.
gunman wrote:3) Probably GrayFace patch related: playing with the option with extra chest content on, there was that trapped chest in Barrow Downs that was teleporting you in the middle of gogs on the central island. Now it didn't.
Strange, I just completed a MM7 with grayface's patch (and FixChests enabled) and it teleported me everytime.
gunman wrote:4) Also I remember that in the wine cellar in Tatalia, there was a Queen of the Dead. Now to my disappointment, there were only Necromancers/Speakers and a couple of regular Vampires.
It's random actually, but in MAPSTATS.TXT you can increase the difficulty of the Necromancer groups from 3 to 4 to increase likelihood of Queens of the Dead appearing.
To extract mapstats.txt from EVENTS.LOD, you need MMArchives, or MM7View.
gunman wrote:5) Am I having bad luck? Until now I have not found a single relic/artifact. I have cleared Clancker's Lab, wine cellar, watchtower 6, killed Wormthrax and looted all chests in Titan Stronghold. Yet not a single relic.
I find most of them by killing Titans and Dragons in the Land of the Giants, but I usually find 1 or 2 in Titans Stronghold. Bad luck would be my guess.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 19 Jun 2011, 16:46

1) I have either stolen the vase relatively early on with invisibility -- although sometimes it might take a few tries due to touching the guards and becoming visible -- or doing it later on where I could just hack them to pieces with ease. You just need a little patience :) Although I don't know what different versions of GrayFace's patch might have done.

2) In MM7 I would guess that luck is more important, although I don't really know for sure. It's in MM8 that perception really becomes useful.

5) I have played through the game several times without finding a single relic/artifact...sometimes you just have bad luck.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 19 Jun 2011, 17:53

neither luck no perception helps in finding more gold or good items!
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

gunman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gunman » 19 Jun 2011, 19:00

I like to play with no reloads (I keep money in the bank in case I die) and with turn based combat. I went to steal the vase with the invisibility spell and trying not to kill anybody inside. But if you get stuck in the middle of masters/champions of the sword unprepared for fight you get chopped down quickly. There I died two of the total of three times in the game so far. I came back later and took my revenge :devil: Berserk spell and paralyzing are two of the most useful spells fighting masters of the sword.

In my case, it was impossible to enter the room with the vase without breaking the invisibility. There were 4-5 guards in the first room and 2 more in the room with the vase.
vladimir-maestro wrote:neither luck no perception helps in finding more gold or good items!

So perception does not affect at all chance to get an item off a body ? (not a better item / more gold)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: MM7 questions

Unread postby GrayFace » 19 Jun 2011, 19:48

gunman wrote:5) Am I having bad luck? Until now I have not found a single relic/artifact. I have cleared Clancker's Lab, wine cellar, watchtower 6, killed Wormthrax and looted all chests in Titan Stronghold. Yet not a single relic.
There is an artifact/relic in Clancker's Lab. Without my patch it could be lost due to lack of space, but with the patch the artifact must be there.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jun 2011, 19:48

No, neither luck nor perception helps there. What helps, however, is if you click with the character who is set to carry your items you're planning to sell. That way you will spend less time playing inventory tetris.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 19 Jun 2011, 22:06

1) You can sneak inside manor quite easly, it just require jumping onto table to avoid guards. But if you play in such hardcore mode with no save loads it's better to leave that part of game for safer methods. Think mind magic should do the trick.

2) Dont think that any outside factor affects looting. Perception is pretty much only for secret doors , while luck has other uses like damage avoiding(it allows some specific yhings to be activates, like 1k free gold in first location)

4) In most cases, monsters subtype is generated on first entry into location, so if you wih for other subtypes just reload location.

5)Bad luck probably. If you really wish for relics you can farm with save/load at some blood titan or blue dragon.
Also there is same thing as with mobs. There are specific chests that have good possibility to contain relics, but they are generated on 1st time you enter location.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Jun 2011, 10:03

Perception is also for getting loot out of trash safely and, most importantly, avoiding chest traps.

Return to “Might and Magic”