What Will LOE's Fate Be?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

What will be the fate of LOE?

I have full confidence that LOE will be released!
88%
LOE will fail and be a lost and forgotten project...
13%

Total votes: 16

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

What Will LOE's Fate Be?

Unread postby legendoferthia » 15 Jun 2011, 06:49

I have been exploring through different projects including ones that are not related to MM. It seems a lot of projects have been abandon or forgotten.

I created this poll to see what all of you think will be a the fate of LOE. Please be as honest as you can while voting.

Do you think LOE will ever be released or will it end up abandon and forgotten?

If you wish to explain why you chose your vote, please do so. I am interested in as much feedback as possible.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 09:31

...if author creates something like this - that means that he tired of this and wanna to refuse to complete it...but do not want how to say about it...
:|
say that i'm wrong? really - i wanna be wrong!
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 15 Jun 2011, 10:29

you've put an absolute tonne of work into this, all i can say is judging by your progress if you don't release it by the end of the year it's looking doubtful.

as a one man project (i assume) you've differed a lot to other projects but your development over the last few months has been spectacular. Might and Magic doesn't have many fan projects at all simply because as a series it's not huge, it's got a good following (and a very dedicated one), but there aren't enough people interested in creating content for these games. It probably has to also do with the fact that now, in 2011, we're talking about something with is quite dated and old (last might and magic was 2002 i think?), and the style of games is virtually in the past now.

I certainly hope you release the game!

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 15 Jun 2011, 11:25

I see often updates, a creator that likes to talk with the community
for opinions, tons of hard work that from videos/screenshot looks
amazing, no one press you complete it fast....why should I feel
project will fail? Ofc not with the clues we have so far, only you
know how long is needed to be completed and if you have the
time and patience to achieve that goal. I hope to see it finished
soon, seems like a good old school rpg with deep gameplay and
a combination of retro feeling with some new fresh ideas!
Can't wait to hear more news. :)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2011, 13:54

vladimir-maestro wrote:...if author creates something like this - that means that he tired of this and wanna to refuse to complete it...but do not want how to say about it...
:|
say that i'm wrong? really - i wanna be wrong!
First there are too many acronyms around, please spell stuff out first then use the abbreviation. It’s just better that way. It took me a while to figure out what LOE stood for, but I noticed it in your signature. I am assuming you meant Legend of Erthia. I agree with Vladimir, it sounds as if you are at a crossroads where your time is becoming important to you and you still don’t see the end. Unfortunately I assume that no fan made project will complete. As you yourself said there are far too many projects out there and most will never finish. BDJ did it right, when he started a project he set a firm finish date and whatever wasn’t done, didn’t get included. Fortunately with the TCC project most did get done. Having just finished the walk through I caught a lot of misspellings and minor oversights that another beta would have fixed, but there was no time. So a slightly less than perfect product was released, but it was done and released. Most will not even notice those oversights.

When taking on a project like this, you need to set how much time you are willing to spend on it and figure out how much you can get done in that timeframe. Then reduce that amount by almost half. There are too many unknowns or outside distractions to ever do all you think you can. You then have an idea if you can finish a project you want to attempt.

So if you want encouragement, you have it, but if you already have doubts and there is a lot to do. It is probably time to face the music and continue with your real world obligations, and let LOE join the scrap heap of unfinished projects. However I am pulling for you.
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Jun 2011, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 15 Jun 2011, 14:08

Does savetara make other projects but Legend of Erthia?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2011, 15:33

tolich wrote:Does savetara make other projects but Legend of Erthia?
Not sure if that is directed at me, but why would I know the answer to that? :|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 15 Jun 2011, 17:18

@vladimir-maestro
In my opinion, LOE is going to be a complete game. I have spent a number of years working with it and that is too much time to be wasted for nothing. Also, I enjoy working on it, I never seem to get bored with creating new levels and features. However, now that everything is pretty much like Might and Magic, I am left with just level design and the story. Level design is no problem but I always had a difficult time getting stories out. However, I am learning and it is now making movement as well. I have already made a completer plot to the story and most of the quests. It's time for dialogue writing!

Also, I added some more features the other day. After playing through WOX, I have brought the gem system into the game and also added the teleport spell.

@Tolich
I am currently working on other projects as well, but I reserve most of my time on LOE these days.

The reason why I created this topic was to see the differences in peoples views on LOE because I know many of you had hopes for other projects and have been let down in the past.

Based on my opinion, LOE is here to stay. However, please continue to share your thoughts.

Larec
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Larec » 15 Jun 2011, 19:53

Why would you ask the question? Seems to me you already know the answer.....

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 15 Jun 2011, 19:57

It is not about my answer or views, I am interested in what everyone else thinks and believes.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 20:43

savetara wrote:It is not about my answer or views, I am interested in what everyone else thinks and believes.
we believe you can do it.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 16 Jun 2011, 00:00

vladimir-maestro wrote:
savetara wrote:It is not about my answer or views, I am interested in what everyone else thinks and believes.
I think the same, you are putting much effort and you have knowledge to get it done. And I like the fact that you share your progress with us and you ask for suggestions and opinions. Keep the good work and take your time!
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Jun 2011, 08:32

vladimir-maestro wrote:
+1

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 16 Jun 2011, 09:06

Might and Magic doesn't have many fan projects at all simply because as a series it's not huge,
Actually for game with no official modding tools like TES series, it has exceptionally huge ammount of fan projects. For example wizardry series in west (even though I think that w8 is better than most mm's togather) dont have nearly fan base mm have, and thus it dont have even fraction of fan projects compared to mm.

About LOE. I think it have very good chance to get made , since it bases on one dedicated person, also scope of project is not unrealistic like mmt even though it had huge support at the begging(I think at the beggingin they had unrealistic optimism as that they would relatively easy make another mmt game to realize other plot ideas.), but the more time passes the more enthusiasm fades and it creates chicken and egg problem. But such project as LOE can be made and it can last as long as one dedicated person is on it.
In fact many projects (I really dont want to insult anyone but I have red alot of their forums) initially make huge ambitions that cant be realistically met by fan team, specially if new engine that is not suitable for modding is required to be made from scratch. This is why mods for unreal and such are far more successful than projects from scratch.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Jun 2011, 16:24

I have full confidence the 3D version will be released.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 16 Jun 2011, 16:32

As long as your passion burns strong, your flame will never die! Gaming art needs a lot more passionate indie developers, including you!

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 16 Jun 2011, 17:46

I believe you can finish this. :)

Please understand you also have a lot more support than may be implied here - there are a lot of people who read but don't post often, or those who never signed up.

When a project is well-done, some spread the news. I know that this would probably be well-received with the VN Boards Wizardry 8 community, as many of them are also great fans of the Might & Magic series -- and vice-versa, some fans here love Wizardry 8 (there's another mod of that was released over there in January). The tavern over at TELP would probably love to see the finished product, as well as a couple M&Magic fans I know over at the Bethesda forums.

So in short, you're doing excellent work, and if it ever seems like there's not much support...there may actually be more than you expect.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 17 Jun 2011, 08:46

I want to thank all of you for sharing your beliefs on the project. It does mean a lot. I sometimes just feel that people will lose hope because of all the awesome projects that some had high hopes for. I know it gets discouraging which is best explained in Jeff's post and I don't blame him.

However, I want to get a very strong point across. I have been dedicated to LOE for longer then many think. The original LOE was created when I was teen about when MM6 got released. It was just a basic FF-like game made with rpg maker 2k witch was inspired by MM6. Unfortuantly, I lost the original in a formatting scenario... However, the original world is being expanded on with today's version of LOE.

LOE has been with me for a long time now, and I have been using different engines to try and recreate the original version. Fortunately, I began to pick up my scripting skills and learn a bit about ruby which rpg maker vx uses.

Ultimately, what I am tryng to say is.. LOE is an important factor in my life. Might and Magic is my most cherished rpg series and it has inspired me to create LOE. I cannot stand the new games that are released today... I just can't seem to get into them hence the reason why I replayed MM - XEEN.

In conclusion, unless something drastic happens to me, LOE will not be a dead project (A lot of it is completed anyway). LOE will become a complete project so all of you and myself can experience what made us love Might and Magic to begin with.

Return to “Might and Magic”