Anybody played other 90's New World Computing games?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
OrbMeister
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Anybody played other 90's New World Computing games?

Unread postby OrbMeister » 10 Jun 2011, 22:46

I've been playing MM3-5 and Swords for years now, but I'm finally getting an itch to explore some other games, particularly from the same time period.

I'm looking at some of the New World Computing releases and Heroes 1 and 2 are obvious choices, but Anvil of Dawn and Hammer of the Gods also look promising.

Any thoughts?

Look them on gog.com.
None of MM games are free, all are licensed to Ubisoft. We do not discuss abandonware here. It is against forum rules. Post edited.

~Pol

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Jun 2011, 06:58

They seems both like a great games. Never played them myself. But perhaps, youtube ease your decision. 1 2

Note: Only H2:Gold is on gog.com.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 11 Jun 2011, 15:58

I really like Planet's Edge. It's Stark Trek influenced I believe.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 11 Jun 2011, 22:43

I took a shot at starting MM4 and MM5 today, but I'm not going to be able to play them, because of the absence of turn and walk smoothly.

After about five minutes, they started to give me a headache, because it was like trying to orient and walk around an environment by looking at nothing but a set of still photographs, sort of like a very slow strobe light.

I'm sure they're great games, but I couldn't stand it.

Trying it did give me an appreciation of what a quantum leap forward we had with MM6.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 12 Jun 2011, 03:37

BMJedi wrote:I took a shot at starting MM4 and MM5 today, but I'm not going to be able to play them, because of the absence of turn and walk smoothly.

After about five minutes, they started to give me a headache, because it was like trying to orient and walk around an environment by looking at nothing but a set of still photographs, sort of like a very slow strobe light.

Trying it did give me an appreciation of what a quantum leap forward we had with MM6.
I wish they had that available in Might and Magic 6... I never could get used to Real Time/Turn Based movement in the later Might and Magic games. Running into a room, hitting the enter key to enter turn based mode then getting bombarded by the projectiles and spells the enemies in the room threw at me right when I entered turn based mode.

Things were also more simple in Might and Magic 3-6 no great restrictions on skill ranks except for classes, if you could learn the skill in Might and Magic 6 then you can get to the master ranking. None of the this class is limited to expert, this class is limited to master, this class is limited to grand master. Etc.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Jun 2011, 07:43

Yea, but that also made sorcerers sort of obsolete.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 12 Jun 2011, 08:35

The only diffrences between Sorcerer and Archer in MM 3-5 were:

Sorcerer Robes, Staff and Dagger, Less Hp and More Mp - same spell selection
Archer Chain. More Weapons, More Hp and Less Mp - same spell selection

The only diffrences between Sorcerer and Archer in MM 6 were:

Sorcerer Leather, Staff and Dagger, Less Hp and More Mp - same spell selection
Archer Chain. Most Weapons, More Hp and Less Mp - same spell selection minus Light and Dark.

There is no diffrences between the same spell cast at the same level and mastery (for might and magic 6 only) by a Sorcerer or Archer in MM 3-6

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 12 Jun 2011, 09:00

Rune_Caster wrote:The only diffrences between Sorcerer and Archer in MM 3-5 were:

Sorcerer Robes, Staff and Dagger, Less Hp and More Mp - same spell selection
Archer Chain. More Weapons, More Hp and Less Mp - same spell selection
IIRC, an Archer gains access to high level spells at higher level than a Sorcerer does and at higher price.
Rune_Caster wrote: There is no diffrences between the same spell cast at the same level and mastery (for might and magic 6 only) by a Sorcerer or Archer in MM 3-6
In MM6, a Sorcerer of the same XP level as an Archer will probably have more skill points spent into magic skills rather than to armour skills or weapon skills.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 Jun 2011, 12:51

Rune_Caster wrote:Things were also more simple in Might and Magic 3-6 no great restrictions on skill ranks except for classes, if you could learn the skill in Might and Magic 6 then you can get to the master ranking. None of the this class is limited to expert, this class is limited to master, this class is limited to grand master. Etc.
Although I do agree that MM7/MM8's restrictions on misc. skills were annoying and unnecessary (ESPECIALLY bodybuilding and meditation, as those skills are already limited in usefulness by the multiplication to the base class bonus), restrictions on weapons and magic skills had to be there.

In MM6 for instance, does it make sense to you that every class can master the bow? What's the point of the archer being called the archer then?
When I play I only allow the Archer and Knight to master the bow, and only allow the Knight and Paladin to combo a halberd/axe + sword in left hand, to make the Archer slightly worse in melee (he either has to wield a single two handed weapon, or two swords)

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Anybody played other 90's New World Computing games?

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 12 Jun 2011, 14:28

OrbMeister wrote:I've been playing MM3-5 and Swords for years now, but I'm finally getting an itch to explore some other games, particularly from the same time period.

I'm looking at some of the New World Computing releases and Heroes 1 and 2 are obvious choices, but Anvil of Dawn and Hammer of the Gods also look promising.

Any thoughts?

Look them on gog.com.
None of MM games are free, all are licensed to Ubisoft. We do not discuss abandonware here. It is against forum rules. Post edited.

~Pol
Anvil of Dawn is a pretty good real-time 1st person party RPG, similar to Eye of the Beholder in style. It had a decent story and good (for its time) graphics.
Hammer of the Gods is a turn-based strategy game with tactical combat. set in Norse mythology. Battles are done with individual units, not stacks. I enjoyed this as well.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 12 Jun 2011, 15:00

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: Although I do agree that MM7/MM8's restrictions on misc. skills were annoying and unnecessary (ESPECIALLY bodybuilding and meditation, as those skills are already limited in usefulness by the multiplication to the base class bonus), restrictions on weapons and magic skills had to be there.

In MM6 for instance, does it make sense to you that every class can master the bow? What's the point of the archer being called the archer then?
When I play I only allow the Archer and Knight to master the bow, and only allow the Knight and Paladin to combo a halberd/axe + sword in left hand, to make the Archer slightly worse in melee (he either has to wield a single two handed weapon, or two swords)
True, but in Might and Magic 3-5 Heavy spell casting classes (Cleric, Druid and Sorcerer) could not even use Bows. With some many monsters with elemental resistance in MM6 and how the game calculates damage, when you can shoot arrows for free and not see Implosion and Incinerate do less then an arrow attack sometmes...

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 12 Jun 2011, 15:43

MM3-5 of course as well as older homm's
Aside from mm series tried wages of war since I really like JA2/x-com type games but somehow it wasnt that good. Particularly disliked fact that mercs had preset movement order. That really killed game.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 12 Jun 2011, 20:59

i have Wages of War in my collection, but i never played more then some 5 min.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Re: Anybody played other 90's New World Computing games?

Unread postby Mn » 13 Jun 2011, 04:30

MM1-2 are pretty good rpg-games too, but I don't finished them. (80's?)
MM1 - the unusial (for me, my first comp was bying about 1993) graphics
mm2 - I'm tried to play, Triple Crown Quest was finished and persons raising was in good progress, but with my school English I don't understood, there is time mashine and how I can use it. (to before or future, kill or save smth....) And restrictions (only for good, not for thieves, etc) surprised me.
MM3-7 are my liked RPG forever (plus Betrayal at Kromdor/in Antara and Wizardry 6-7). I don't like Anvil of Down(?) - mm series are much stronger (imho).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 13 Jun 2011, 08:03

BMJedi wrote:I took a shot at starting MM4 and MM5 today, but I'm not going to be able to play them, because of the absence of turn and walk smoothly.

I hve same problem but with Dark Messiah(and others FPS games).

About NWC's games I played:
- MM3-5 (and a bit of MM1-2)
- King's Bounty
- HoMM1-3 (hey, they were released in 90's)
- Chaos Overlords - not so good game but great amount of humour (Killer Clowns gang? 8| ). I still have this game somewhere.
- Nuclear War - simple but funny hot-seat game. And "I won" picture at end is still hilarious.

jorgamesh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jorgamesh » 13 Jun 2011, 16:07

Anvil of Dawn is a pretty good real-time 1st person party RPG, similar to Eye of the Beholder in style. It had a decent story and good (for its time) graphics.
It is single player, no party. And Anvil of Dawn, although excellent RPG, was not made by NWC. NWC just published the game. It was made by Dreamforge. A studio known by Ravenloft and War Wind series.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 13 Jun 2011, 23:46

Nuclear war is pretty fun! So is the original King's Bounty, which is definitely a precursor to HoMM 1.

Here's a little trivia on Hammer of the Gods and MM9:
Ratatosk [from MMIX] is a reference to a god in an old NWC game called "Hammer of the Gods", which had a character named Ratatosk, "The Squirrel Tale Bearer" (which was the name of the quest between the Temple of Honk and the Temple of Ratatosk). -Tim Lang

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 14 Jun 2011, 05:41

Lol, the Squirrel was killed by a Goose in MM9. It was that bad news we deliver.

Return to “Might and Magic”