Are you really hyped?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 09 Jun 2011, 22:45

Mirez wrote:redesigning the hero skills, resources and magic aren't innovative? Not to mention there's only 3 tiers now and a completely new race...
Destructive, if you ask me :mad:
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Jun 2011, 23:18

Caradoc wrote:Now where can I find out more about the editor? I miss map making the most.
I agree with you, and for me its the campaign editor that is most important. Sadly there has been little info about either other than it will be much better than H-V, like that would be difficult. For me I have tossed in the towel and have pretty much decided it is time to leave gaming all together.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Jun 2011, 00:34

Mirez wrote:redesigning the hero skills, resources and magic aren't innovative? Not to mention there's only 3 tiers now and a completely new race...
Fair point, but judging from the game trailers H6 looks and plays very much like H5. Some of the redesigns you mentioned (resources, fixed hero skills on level up, new race) are simple enough too that one can anticipate exactly how the new game will play like, and it does not promise to be much different from H5.

Also far as I can tell the optimal strategy even in larger maps is to keep your main army together. You can build up a second force led by a second-tier hero, but to split your army is a general no-no. If either army gets hit alone, it's game over.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 10 Jun 2011, 15:09

Banedon wrote:
Fair point, but judging from the game trailers H6 looks and plays very much like H5. Some of the redesigns you mentioned (resources, fixed hero skills on level up, new race) are simple enough too that one can anticipate exactly how the new game will play like, and it does not promise to be much different from H5.

Also far as I can tell the optimal strategy even in larger maps is to keep your main army together. You can build up a second force led by a second-tier hero, but to split your army is a general no-no. If either army gets hit alone, it's game over.
I can see your frustrations with the strategy in Heroes V, but I think you also have to remember that one of the main reasons the game wasn't good was because it was a buggy game. If it ran as smoothly as Heroes III, then I think a lot of the complaints wouldn't have existed. If Heroes VI can run smoothly and if the new gameplay rules create a fun game, then it could be awesome. We'll wait and see.

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 10 Jun 2011, 18:45

Not yet. I was excited about HOMM5, and it was just a terrible game. It just did not work well on any system. When I heard about HOMM6, I got the longing to play HOMM again and tried HOMM5.

It was unplayable. I have a great system i7 92 2.6ghz, 12gb ram, ati hd 5880 (maybe 5800 can't remember) and the game still crawled in between turns.

If there is a demo for HOMM6, I'll consider it, but I'm not spending a $ on HOMM products based on fan-dom again.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 10 Jun 2011, 18:52

there was a bug in heroes 5 that caused the AI turns to take forever, that might have been your issue.

They say they really wanted to improve the speed of the AI turns in h6 so I see no concern.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 10 Jun 2011, 19:00

Mirez wrote:there was a bug in heroes 5 that caused the AI turns to take forever, that might have been your issue.

They say they really wanted to improve the speed of the AI turns in h6 so I see no concern.
I hope that's true, but a lot of companies say things prior to release. I think we can look to Civilization V pre-release talk and post-release reception as an example.

If there's a demo, great that will inform my decision to purchase. If not, I'll wait till there is one of those crazy Steam sales during the holidays. My expectations for a $10 game are much lower than a $50 game.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 11 Jun 2011, 00:17

ChimTheGrim wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I can see your frustrations with the strategy in Heroes V, but I think you also have to remember that one of the main reasons the game wasn't good was because it was a buggy game. If it ran as smoothly as Heroes III, then I think a lot of the complaints wouldn't have existed. If Heroes VI can run smoothly and if the new gameplay rules create a fun game, then it could be awesome. We'll wait and see.
I didn't say H5 is a bad game ...

I don't mind if H6 is deeply traditional, just like H5. I'm just less hyped because of it, and I don't expect to be deeply engrossed by it.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 Jun 2011, 04:48

Well, gotta say I am starting to feel some hype now after some new stuff was revealed. Hope they don't reveal something that will "kill the buzz" for me now. :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”