Cosmology of the Might and Magic Universe and Ashan

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Jun 2011, 14:56

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: Yeah, like when they write 2+2=4... totally just their point of view...
It is indeed just their point of view.

But it's a point of view that happens to be correct.
Not always. Sometimes 2+2=5

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 05 Jun 2011, 15:04

Avonu wrote: Not always. Sometimes 2+2=5
Indeed; but that kind of wasn't the point of Thunder Titan's argument.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jun 2011, 21:12

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:
Avonu wrote: Not always. Sometimes 2+2=5
Indeed; but that kind of wasn't the point of Thunder Titan's argument.
Actually it works, because not using base 10 is just like not using the game world we're talking about...

Also, if i chop of your head and toss it over a cliff you will die, that's a fact, and not my point of view...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 08 Jun 2011, 12:37

ThunderTitan wrote: Also, if i chop of your head and toss it over a cliff you will die, that's a fact, and not my point of view...
But you're saying (and believing) that if you chop of my head and toss over a cliff is your point of view. It is a correct point of view because it coresponds to the facts but still only reflects your understanding of them.

A point of view can be correct (factual) or non-correct (non-factual) or neither, but it's still a point of view. To say otherwise would mean that you created all the facts, so that your point of view is self-sufficiantly factual. That sort of would mean that you are God. :creative: :creative:

This OP of this thread is my point of view of the nature of the Might and Magic Universe's cosmology including Ashan based upon all the 'facts' that I am aware of.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jun 2011, 14:47

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote: But you're saying (and believing) that if you chop of my head and toss over a cliff is your point of view. It is a correct point of view because it coresponds to the facts but still only reflects your understanding of them.
No see, if my PoV is the correct one it's no longer just my understanding, but what happens regardless of anyone's understanding...

You can easily test that by chopping of your head while i'm not around to have any opinion on it...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 08 Jun 2011, 19:43

ThunderTitan wrote: No see, if my PoV is the correct one it's no longer just my understanding, but what happens regardless of anyone's understanding...

You can easily test that by chopping of your head while i'm not around to have any opinion on it...
Obviously. But we are not talking about what is or is not actually. We are talking about whether what a person writes can ever reflect anything but their own understanding.

I am saying that although a person may have a correct understanding it is still only their understanding. They cannot write about something that is correct unless they understand that's how the world works.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jun 2011, 06:06

Tell that to a robot... like lets say one that just won at Jeopardy, called Watson, who doesn't really understand the questions, but is simply a very well made search engine.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 09 Jun 2011, 22:16

ThunderTitan wrote:Tell that to a robot... like lets say one that just won at Jeopardy, called Watson, who doesn't really understand the questions, but is simply a very well made search engine.
:| :| :| :|

Mr Robot cannot write about anything that isn't in his database. A correct answer is within the datebase inherantly identical to an incorrect one. Any distinction between correct and incorrect answers is a function of data stored within the datebase.

Thus it is impossible for anyone even a computer to ever write anything but their own 'opinion', (if you can call the data stored in a computer it's 'opinion').

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2011, 22:58

Oh, so when you say opinion you mean knowledge... you should look up the word opinion then... (hint, having the same data two people can actually come to different conclusions, which are called opinions, while two computers will always reach the same conclusion, which is not an opinion... )

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 12 Jun 2011, 21:08

ThunderTitan wrote:Oh, so when you say opinion you mean knowledge... you should look up the word opinion then... (hint, having the same data two people can actually come to different conclusions, which are called opinions, while two computers will always reach the same conclusion, which is not an opinion... )
Not if both computers are not running the exact same program. Not if there are bugs or other unforseen circumstances that trigger in one computer and not the other.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jun 2011, 14:11

Yeah, not if it malfunctions.... but that's not a PoV, that's an error.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 12 Jul 2011, 13:03

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, not if it malfunctions.... but that's not a PoV, that's an error.
Yes which means that what a person (or computer) writes only ever reflects their own understanding (or lack of it).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jul 2011, 13:25

Somehow i think a concussion (or drug) based hallucination is siply not as valid something you see while sober...

But sure, why not treat all "PoV" as if they're just as legitimate... :disagree:

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 15 Jul 2011, 20:43

ThunderTitan wrote:Somehow i think a concussion (or drug) based hallucination is siply not as valid something you see while sober...

But sure, why not treat all "PoV" as if they're just as legitimate... :disagree:
My point is that is simply impossible for a person to say anything about something that represents anything other than their opinion about something. I am not saying that all POVs are equal or that everyone's neccesarily right. Something that skews a person's understanding does indeed reduce the validity of their opinion. But a correct opinion still only reflects the thinking of the person that expressed it.

Anyway, how about TvTroping Cosmology of Might and Magic? This is all getting rather off-topic.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Cosmology of the Might and Magic Universe and Ashan

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jun 2017, 21:13

The biggest problem about all of this is assuming that Asha and Urgash have any influence outside of Ashan. They don't, and are probably some Ancient constructs themselves. There's no way Asha can stand above the Ancients, like, come on.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 11 Jun 2017, 11:31

XEL II wrote:But it's presented as if it was the "canonical information researched by Slayer". Idiocy, to be short.
XEL II wrote:Moderators, can this whole thread of irrelevant made-up crap be removed from the Heroes VI boards were it doesn't belong?
I apologize to Slayer of Cliffracers and other visitors of this thread for the rudeness I displayed that time. I remember being in a very antagonistic mindset after long discussions me and other forumers had with Slayer regarding his lore theories.

Not the proudest moment of my forum history, to say the least.
Last edited by XEL II on 11 Jun 2017, 13:07, edited 4 times in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Return to “Heroes V-VI”