Can anyone make Bad Luck work in HOMM3?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Super Goober
Peasant
Peasant

Can anyone make Bad Luck work in HOMM3?

Unread postby Super Goober » 30 Oct 2010, 23:08

I've noticed that bad luck has not occurred once in HOMM3, making the Misfortune spell not as useful as it should be.

I've check some of the files out with MMArchive, and I've noticed that there is indeed a sound file for Bad Luck. Also, I've heard reports of there being good luck/bad luck titles in there too.

If someone can make a mod, putting bad luck back in the game, I, and I'm sure a lot of others, would appreciate it.

I have no scripting experience whatsoever apart from replacing sound files and txt files.

benbird
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Can anyone make Bad Luck work in HOMM3?

Unread postby benbird » 01 Nov 2010, 01:53

Super Goober wrote:I've noticed that bad luck has not occurred once in HOMM3, making the Misfortune spell not as useful as it should be.

I've check some of the files out with MMArchive, and I've noticed that there is indeed a sound file for Bad Luck. Also, I've heard reports of there being good luck/bad luck titles in there too.

If someone can make a mod, putting bad luck back in the game, I, and I'm sure a lot of others, would appreciate it.

I have no scripting experience whatsoever apart from replacing sound files and txt files.
good idea :D

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Can anyone make Bad Luck work in HOMM3?

Unread postby AngelEyes » 14 Nov 2010, 12:07

Super Goober wrote:...making the Misfortune spell not as useful as it should be.
It would also give a small boost to Devils. I always wondered why bad luck was left out of the game.

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 06 Jun 2011, 23:36

Did bad luck ever work in Heroes 1 and 2? I don't seem to remember ever seeing it. I always assumed that bad luck was just no luck.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Jun 2011, 02:28

In Heroes 2 you can get -2 luck if you visit a Pyramid that's already been cleaned out. Bad Luck manifests itself as a rain cloud (as opposed to a rainbow) and causes the affected stack to do 1/2 damage. Since it's pretty easy to get some level of Good Luck in H2, it's actually kinda hard to make bad luck happen, even on purpose. The -2 penalty only lasts until your next combat.

In H3 I think you can have a negative luck modifier (there's a fountain that changes between good and bad luck depending on the day of the week), but it just lowers your chances of getting good luck in combat.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 07 Jun 2011, 13:56

Kristo wrote:In Heroes 2 you can get -2 luck if you visit a Pyramid that's already been cleaned out. Bad Luck manifests itself as a rain cloud (as opposed to a rainbow) and causes the affected stack to do 1/2 damage. Since it's pretty easy to get some level of Good Luck in H2, it's actually kinda hard to make bad luck happen, even on purpose. The -2 penalty only lasts until your next combat.

In H3 I think you can have a negative luck modifier (there's a fountain that changes between good and bad luck depending on the day of the week), but it just lowers your chances of getting good luck in combat.
I saw bad luck a total of 1 time in all my playing of heroes 2 You really had to try to get it, since luck boosts were plentiful.
As for H3, negative luck only counters positive, you cannot get bad luck (although the neutral luck graphic implies that they intended to have it at some point)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jun 2011, 21:01

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:As for H3, negative luck only counters positive, you cannot get bad luck (although the neutral luck graphic implies that they intended to have it at some point)
There are also sounds and graphics for it in the game.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 08 Jun 2011, 03:49

In HoMM II, if you have -1 luck, what is your chance of getting bad luck?

If you answered 10%, you're wrong! It's 0%.

-2 luck gives you a 1/24 chance. I believe this to be a bug, since +1 luck gives you 1/24, +2 luck gives you 2/24, etc.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”