Mass Effect

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Apr 2011, 17:23

I mean, they should at least try to make it more interesting. Different enemies, different layouts, even outright less areas to go through would have made it a lot better. At this point I'm reminded of all the copy-paste environments of ME1, but at least those were far between, while this here is the same battle thrown at you all over again instantly after you finish it.

SPOILERS:
Well, there's no guarantee that the Reapers would have been defeated - after all, that relay was already damaged, its repair cycles were slowed down, while the Reapers themselves are pretty powerful. Besides, if even one of those survived, it would have been hell.
And what about the Mu relay? The exit was inside a mass effect field. Though how it got there in the first place is an interesting question.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 17:57

I think you're confusing the Mu relay with the Omega relay... Mu was a relay in the first game that was lost because of a supernova throwing it far enough from it's original system to make it very hard to find...

As for the SPOILERS, i meant having the relay take out the system with the Reapers there... at -5sec after teh arrival clock... it would have made little difference if any of the survived, i mean they're coming to wipe out post-industrial life anyway, it's not like pissing them off would matter...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Apr 2011, 19:21

Well, the whole idea about broadcasting the arrival time of the invasion fleet seems a bit suspect to me... And supposedly the explosion is at slower-than-light speed, so the reapers could just outrun it if it isn't timed perfectly.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Apr 2011, 21:07

Well try it anyway, it's not like them escaping isn't the same thing as not even trying.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Apr 2011, 21:34

SPOILERS:
Oh yea, that's right. My bad. But then again, like I've said, that one relay was damaged already, and probably older than the Mu relay. As for detonating the thing on the Reapers' side, I'm pretty sure that it was said that you can't get to them unless you know how to code in Relay Programming Language :D Not to mention that they would probably neutralise it before it can gain enough momentum to collide, and not to mention that the other relay there is probably stronger than this one.

Broadcasting time isn't that suspect when you understand that the Reapers are just trying to show how much of Magnificent Bastards they are by allowing people to tell the time until the invasion and not being able to do anything about it. Probably indoctrination is how the humans understood that those intervals were time, too.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2011, 05:55

Detonating it on who's side?

The Reapers weren't using a relay, that's why you had to destroy that one, because they could use it to get to any other relay, while they where travelling under their own power to get to the galaxy.

And the idea was to make it impact a few seconds after the arrival time, way too late for anyone to stop the asteroid any more...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Apr 2011, 17:34

Oh. like I've said, that wouldn't work because it would require precise timing, something they didn't have.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2011, 11:16

They have a hand mounted tool that can assemble bombs and EMP devices in seconds... you really think the omni-tools wouldn't be able to calculate a simple velocity/time problem?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Apr 2011, 11:50

Calculation and execution is something entirely different. There are way too many variables to account for, not to mention that you can't predict how the Reapers would act.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2011, 13:00

The execution would consist of exactly the same thing it did when messing with the engines to make it hit the relay, with only the exact timing being different.

And why would you care about how the omnicidal god-machines would react when they already want to kill you all anyway?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Apr 2011, 14:49

Because if even a single one decides to flee, or better yet, destroy the asteroid just as they enter through the relay, the whole galaxy will be in a world of hurt.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 01 May 2011, 01:38

Guys, do you really think their writers had debates like this?

Bioware doesn't give a shit about explaining how anything works or is related to anything since they are giving EA a piggyback ride through the cesspool that we know as the console market, their average consumer now has 10 years and is mildly retarded.
Infiltrator out.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2011, 07:14

Considering how in-depth are the explanations of nearly everything (Codex of Wisdom, anyone?), I bet they actually had. Bioware is all about good stories.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2011, 07:47

Infiltrator wrote:Guys, do you really think their writers had debates like this?

Bioware doesn't give a **** about explaining how anything works or is related to anything since they are giving EA a piggyback ride through the cesspool that we know as the console market, their average consumer now has 10 years and is mildly retarded.
Actually they did a pretty good job in ME1 explaining why Saren couldn't just walk into the Citadel and press some buttons to allow Sovereign to activate it.

Of course their latest efforts have been rather "streamlined"...
GreatEmerald wrote:Because if even a single one decides to flee, or better yet, destroy the asteroid just as they enter through the relay, the whole galaxy will be in a world of hurt.
Once again... they weren't using the relay... that's why it was taking them that long to get there... (their original repay for entry into the galaxy got hacked, remember ME1).

And relativistically speaking unless they could turn the asteroid to dust within 5-10 seconds they couldn't save the relay, and even space dust might cripple it as fast enough speeds.

And if they can destroy an asteroid that size that fast winning against them would be impossible as they could just incinerate our planets once they start losing.

And again with the fleeing... the galaxy is already in for a world of hurt, they already want to turn every sapient being into paste for their babies... what more hurt is there?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 May 2011, 15:45

ThunderTitan wrote: And if they can destroy an asteroid that size that fast winning against them would be impossible as they could just incinerate our planets once they start losing.
Isn't that the plan? Of course, some gel for new reapers is nice and all, but incinerating planets is fun too.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2011, 11:06

Sure, but that part comes a few decades after, when they already have all the gel, and if you read the description of some of the planets it's actually less about incineration and more about pelting a planet with kinetic weapons until all tech is in so many little pieces the organics that come after have no chance of learning anything useful from it (while leaving enough of the one derived from their own mass effect tech to make sure the new guys follow in the dependency upon it).

So, the game got delayed... and some EA guy decided that we're too comfortable so he should make us sweat: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3451 ... _Price.php
"This franchise is a personal favorite of mine," said EA CEO John Riccitiello of the BioWare-developed conclusion to the epic sci-fi trilogy.

"One of the things the team up at Edmonton has done is...essentially adjust some of the gameplay mechanics and some of the features, which you'll see at E3, that can...essentially address a far larger market opportunity [than Mass Effect 1 or 2]."

According to EA's Frank Gibeau, the now-delayed game's E3 presence will reveal "some feature innovation and some new ways to play."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jun 2011, 20:14

The on rails part at the end made me go "Look, it's Gears of Mass War Effect!", but the shooting looks solid, i just hope the RPG is also good: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... ect/714871

And of course there's more gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/mass-effect-3/12960

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Jun 2011, 20:23

Mass (D)Effect and RPG? Arre you lost your mind? ...nevermind, pointless question. :P

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jun 2011, 20:58

It's an RPG, but an Action RPG. Note that ME1 is a lot more RPG than ME2. And they say ME3 will be sort of the middle.

Oh, and omnidaggers.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I'm trying to organise a DnD-like game on Cerberus Daily News, with rolls, experience and other good stuff.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Jun 2011, 21:06

It's shooter/action game with some RPG elements not RPG with action/shooter elements.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”