Town Window instead Town Screen

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2011, 11:38

But without giant buttons how will little Jimmy know where to press?

Heh, Fisher Price buttons, i'm totally stealing that.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 02 May 2011, 07:15

Have to agree with Dark Whisperer. Tiny town screens suck, and as long as you have a current PC, loading a H5 full-3D-flyby town takes approximate 1 second. Oh noes 1 second I feel my youth draining away.

At least offer the option of different town window sizes, with the largest option covering 80% of the screen. I'm sure my PC can handle one animated 2D window, LMAO.

P.S. What's that BS about "not all buildings will be visible"? Totally unacceptable.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2011, 08:43

Mlai wrote:Have to agree with Dark Whisperer. Tiny town screens suck, and as long as you have a current PC, loading a H5 full-3D-flyby town takes approximate 1 second. Oh noes 1 second I feel my youth draining away.
Yeah, it takes 1 second with hardware that's years more advanced then when H5 came out...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 02 May 2011, 13:09

ThunderTitan wrote:But without giant buttons how will little Jimmy know where to press?
To hell with little Jimmy!

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 02 May 2011, 17:01

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, it takes 1 second with hardware that's years more advanced then when H5 came out...
That's my point.

My PC can handle full-3D town screen, UbiHole thinks it can't handle an 80%-screen 2D town window on a more modern (i.e. hopefully more efficient) game engine?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2011, 12:28

Mlai wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, it takes 1 second with hardware that's years more advanced then when H5 came out...
That's my point.

My PC can handle full-3D town screen, UbiHole thinks it can't handle an 80%-screen 2D town window on a more modern (i.e. hopefully more efficient) game engine?
You obviously don't understand how graphics work... next you'll be telling me how Deus Ex 1 works fine on your PC so any 3D shooter released this year should even if you still have a P4.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Aug 2011, 12:53

I can't say how much true is this but it seems that Blackhole is re-doing town windows from scraps.

In Polish article about Sanctuary campaign (nothing new was written), author wrote that town pictures will be corrected and Blackhole is working on it from scraps.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 03 Aug 2011, 14:44

mr.hackcrag wrote: To hell with little Jimmy!
Yes, let the little bastard rot...
Having a town screen where you can click the buildings is a preferred i imo. Not a game breaker or anything like that but a nice thing that I have always enjoyed in HoMM. The button interface makes it somewhat easier to navigate all the different buildings, but you never get the feeling your building a town. Its more like getting accsess to something. Like leveling, you cant learn spell X, until requirement Y is met. Bah, I want my town screen.

utopis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Best of Both woirlds

Unread postby utopis » 13 Aug 2011, 01:34

I for one sometimes got annoyed by the approximate second loading times of the town screen in homm5. But would often enjoy exploring the full screen city this made the game vastly more enjoyable. When real life imposed itself and I was mid game the town screen doubled as a great screen saver.

Personally I vote for keeping an enhanced beta town window for quick use. Although when possible add a button or click able section of this screen that opens to the full screen, interactive, town screen that we know and love.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 16 Aug 2011, 13:21

ThunderTitan wrote:You obviously don't understand how graphics work... next you'll be telling me how Deus Ex 1 works fine on your PC so any 3D shooter released this year should even if you still have a P4.
AFAIK, H6 town screens are 2D or 2.5D. Which means even if they use polygons those aren't even complete polygons or complete textures, but more like a row of cardboard houses with nothing on the other side.

Take a look at that Haven town window's graphical quality... yeah, I don't see how it would take more processing power than full 3D town screens of H5, whose graphics hold up quite well.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 16 Aug 2011, 14:05

Why do I get the feeling that HMM6 is just a slightly modified clone of Warcraft 3?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 17 Aug 2011, 09:44

hatsforclowns wrote:Why do I get the feeling that HMM6 is just a slightly modified clone of Warcraft 3?
And this is based on what? Besides one was tbs other rts, or do you mean plot wise?

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 17 Aug 2011, 10:14

tress wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:Why do I get the feeling that HMM6 is just a slightly modified clone of Warcraft 3?
And this is based on what? Besides one was tbs other rts, or do you mean plot wise?
I guess it's my own fault for being unclear :(

I didn't mean to say whether the game was good or not, and I stopped playing HMM at 3, so I don't really have any right to complain. However, I meant visually. Seems like quite a lot of games (mostly strategy and roleplaying) are going for the sort of sillyish cartoonish Warcraft/WOW style.

Just an observation.

Actually, the first time I saw footage from in-game play of HMM6 I didn't know it was HMM6 (some random youtube video with random footage from random games...you know the drill) and thought it was some new Warcraft thingy.

But I digress, I stopped playing at 3, so have little right to complain ;)

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 17 Aug 2011, 11:44

Almost every fantasy game nowadays looks like Warcraft. Game designers probably think that Warcraft sells so well because of its look. ;|

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Aug 2011, 13:34

hatsforclowns wrote: I guess it's my own fault for being unclear :(
Yes, go play with Hyourinmaru somewhere else! :slap: :D

Regarding town screens, I share the opinion of some people here that having a town window won't bring the feeling of in depth of building a town, as if you're not really going into it, but just watching from afar. It doesn't bring the feeling you own your castle. It's nice watching your castle being built here and there, in details.

However the whole 3D view from Heroes 5 got somewhat non productive in the end.

Back at Heroes 2 (which was the one I started playing the demo) and then Heroes 3, I liked the townscreens, however I dreamed of 3D interaction (I was younger, less practical, tempted by eye-candy however useless it might turn out). Heroes 4 came with that...overall town screen that made me almost sick (visually speaking, it was dreadful, but that's the way it had to be given the choice of dwellings we had to make). When Heroes 5 came out with 3D, I was pretty much happy, but again, 3D with nothing really useful about it came with a letdown pretty much soon after that. Pretty, yes, but non practical.

So, in the end, I stick with something like Heroes 3 (perhaps with the choice of being town window if you're in a game for too long and don't mind not watching your town again, as pointed out above), with a bit of enhancement (like considering the surrounding terrain and sky), but not rounding, rounding, nor tiny window.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 18 Aug 2011, 14:20

Actually from what I saw, you DO GET the feeling that you built, as you can see some (if not each and every) of the structures you built on the adventure map. I can point the Stronghold Town Portal for example. It shows in the yard once you built it. Also the town walls and etc. Could have been better? Sure, but I don't think that this is such a gig issue at all. Other aspects of the game were more... (di)stressing...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Aug 2011, 14:47

Oh, yes, I mean regarding town screens and windows only. I do believe there are other and more important stuff to be concerned about. But I just don't know them all right now given I didn't play the beta, nor haven't read all issues on that matter. I'm mostly intended to really know the game after buying it, even if the reviews or previews are not optimistic.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 18 Aug 2011, 16:46

Panda Tar wrote:
Hunh... ?_?

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 18 Aug 2011, 19:23

hatsforclowns wrote:
Panda Tar wrote:
Hunh... ?_?
Perhaps Haohmaru?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Aug 2011, 20:03

parcaleste wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:
Panda Tar wrote: Yes, go play with Hyourinmaru somewhere else! :slap: :D
Hunh... ?_?
Perhaps Haohmaru?
Gee, you two! :drama:

Here.

This is Hyourinmaru. I said that regarding your avatar, hfc. ;)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”