About the H3-H5 debate

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

About the H3-H5 debate

Unread postby Fewtger » 20 Apr 2011, 22:42

I was wondering really, there seems to be a consensus that H3 is a better game, than H5. But nobody really specifies why, so could someone add up all the reasons why?

I'm asking, because I think H5 is vastly superior to H3.
- it has more creature abilities
- creatures can be casters themselves
- Hero engages in combat
- "Actual Faction diversity" (or better said, more pronounced faction diversity)
- and probably some more.

I just can't see why H3 would be better, except for duration of enemy turns (which, gameplay-wise, isn't an argument).

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: About the H3-H5 debate

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 21 Apr 2011, 13:50

I am not trying to justify one being better than the other, but I need to comment on your points:
Fewtger wrote:I was wondering really, there seems to be a consensus that H3 is a better game, than H5. But nobody really specifies why, so could someone add up all the reasons why?

I'm asking, because I think H5 is vastly superior to H3.
- it has more creature abilities
This I will probably grant you, but note that more, in and of itself, is not necessarily better. If you disagree with that, then H3 has more factions, and therefore more creatures and is better for that reason. This point becomes a wash.
- creatures can be casters themselves
There were casters in H3- Ogre mage, master genie come to mind fastest.
- Hero engages in combat
This was a big source of debate as to whether this was better or worse. And that is without bringing H4 into the argument, so please don't do that.
- "Actual Faction diversity" (or better said, more pronounced faction diversity)
But this also brought complaints of too little diversity WITHIN a faction.
- and probably some more.

...On both sides of the question.
I just can't see why H3 would be better, except for duration of enemy turns (which, gameplay-wise, isn't an argument).
I would say this is a very important arguement. DOesn't "gameplay" refer to the quality of playing the game? If you spend most of your time waiting to do something, that is a big hit in the gameplay area.

Aside from sentimental reasons (which many have), there are reasons why any of heroes 3 through 5 is the best. Heroes 1 and 2 I can only see through nostalgia as being the best. Your personal play style/preferences will dictate the better of them (in particular 3 vs. 5)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 21 Apr 2011, 16:14

- the AI is downright retarded
- it's quite demanding in the RAM department while it's graphics were medicore at best (even when it was released)
- not to mention the fact heroes 5 needed 3 patches before it was playable
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 21 Apr 2011, 21:36

Yes, the Master Genies came to my mind, but it's a random caster, not really what I meant. And Ogre Magi weren;t really casting, they were far better bashers.
Sorry, when I said creaure abilities, I meant activated ones, such as Goblin Traps, spells and Succubus' Seduce.

Besides that, the AI being retarded and H5 needed to be patched first and RAM usage aren't really arguments. Since it doesn't relate to actual gameplay and that's what we're rating.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 21 Apr 2011, 22:49

the AI does not effect the gameplay?

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 26 Apr 2011, 07:56

No, if we're rating the game on gameplay, I'm taking PvP as a standard.
In which case, the AI is equal to both players.

Mirez

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Apr 2011, 09:18

one of the reasons heroes 3 is so popular is because the AI is very intelligent, not everybody has time to spend hours playing online pvp.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”