Heroes VI Kappa

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Apr 2011, 22:21

Kappa Kappa Kappa.

The fans don't like these. Why? Look at 'em! They're like cuddly little koalas!

With really long claws.

And frog-like skin.

And a bucket of water in its head.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=516
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Fretnix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Fretnix » 14 Apr 2011, 23:25

They look so silly that I just MUST love them! Wish they were bigger though.

Ildrenvred
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Ildrenvred » 15 Apr 2011, 04:01

They have charm to them. I find a few light-hearted creatures add a lot to the game- hopefully animations with follow suit.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Apr 2011, 08:05

I like them. They look endearing in a "come to the water's edge so we can play the who can hold their breath longer game" way.

Just ditch the damn trend of using Japanese names for upgrades. They might draw inspiration from Japanese culture, heck they might even be copied shamelessly for all I know, but this is still a fictional universe.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Skullmane
Conscript
Conscript

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Skullmane » 15 Apr 2011, 09:45

As long as they're not ACTUALLY cuddly and don't purr like kittens, I'm fine with them. If they start dancing around when idle and emit some squeaky noises, they'll never be part of my Sanctuary line-up, if I ever bring myself to playing that faction.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Infiltrator » 15 Apr 2011, 11:41

I don't mind them at all. The Lacerator, on the other hand..
Infiltrator out.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 15 Apr 2011, 13:14

Metathron wrote:I like them. They look endearing in a "come to the water's edge so we can play the who can hold their breath longer game" way.

Just ditch the damn trend of using Japanese names for upgrades. They might draw inspiration from Japanese culture, heck they might even be copied shamelessly for all I know, but this is still a fictional universe.
What's wrong with using Japanese names? That's like saying the cerberus shouldn't be called that, because cerberus is a Greek name (or, more analogously, since we have centaur, medusa, gorgon, minotaur, &c., that they should ditch the trend of using Greek names). For that matter, if they put in a 3-headed dog and DIDN'T call it a cerberus, then there would be a huge cry of "why not call it what it is"
Besides, they don't exactly have a great track record of naming creatures. Give them the names that belong to the creature they are based on.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Apr 2011, 14:30

WTH is that thing supposed to be :|
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Apr 2011, 14:38

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Metathron wrote:I like them. They look endearing in a "come to the water's edge so we can play the who can hold their breath longer game" way.

What's wrong with using Japanese names? That's like saying the cerberus shouldn't be called that, because cerberus is a Greek name (or, more analogously, since we have centaur, medusa, gorgon, minotaur, &c., that they should ditch the trend of using Greek names). For that matter, if they put in a 3-headed dog and DIDN'T call it a cerberus, then there would be a huge cry of "why not call it what it is"
Besides, they don't exactly have a great track record of naming creatures. Give them the names that belong to the creature they are based on.
I have a problem with consistency. Why name the basic unit "spring spirit" and the upgraded "mizu-kami". Then there's "snow maiden" and "yuki onna" (which, I am given to understand, translates to "snow maiden"), as well as "shark warrior" upgraded to "wanizame". I'd prefer if they were both named in the same vein.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Apr 2011, 14:50

Ethric wrote:WTH is that thing supposed to be :|
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_%28folklore%29
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 15 Apr 2011, 15:13

Metathron wrote:I have a problem with consistency. Why name the basic unit "spring spirit" and the upgraded "mizu-kami". Then there's "snow maiden" and "yuki onna" (which, I am given to understand, translates to "snow maiden"), as well as "shark warrior" upgraded to "wanizame". I'd prefer if they were both named in the same vein.
My thoughts exactly. :)

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Odish » 15 Apr 2011, 16:51

I LOVE these!!

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 15 Apr 2011, 18:23

GACK! I hate these!

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby Ryder » 16 Apr 2011, 00:05

Whoever came up with that must of been smoking some top quality gear.

Without doubt the worst creature ever in any MM game.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby legendoferthia » 16 Apr 2011, 08:15

Why can't they just go back to traditional HOMM, like HOMM II and III.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby legendoferthia » 16 Apr 2011, 08:19

Why can't they just go back to traditional HOMM, like HOMM II and III.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 16 Apr 2011, 11:59

Metathron wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

I have a problem with consistency. Why name the basic unit "spring spirit" and the upgraded "mizu-kami". Then there's "snow maiden" and "yuki onna" (which, I am given to understand, translates to "snow maiden"), as well as "shark warrior" upgraded to "wanizame". I'd prefer if they were both named in the same vein.
That's another story- in the post I replied to, you implied the problem was in using Japanese names, not using language-change for the upgrade. That latter point I can agree with.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Apr 2011, 12:30

Metathron wrote:Just ditch the damn trend of using Japanese names for upgrades.
:)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 16 Apr 2011, 14:47

I agree the names should be either both japanese or both english.
Infiltrator out.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Kappa

Unread postby hellegennes » 16 Apr 2011, 20:59

Actually, Cerberus, Centaur and the rest are not Greek latinised names. These are their English names. They may stem from their Greek original words, but these already mean nothing in Greek. It's not that "Cerberus" means "three-headed dog" in Greek, it is a name proper (of unknown etymology).

Thus, using "yuki onna" is not the same as using Cerberus which is neither in Greek (Kerveros is the Greek word) nor can it be translated because we have no idea if it means anything at all.

Return to “Screenshots”