What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 04 Apr 2011, 19:19

You do realise that in older times devils and demon were black?
Grah!

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 05 Apr 2011, 01:13

Thelonious wrote:You do realise that in older times devils and demon were black?
Since HoMM III, devil and demond were black and red

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Apr 2011, 14:58

Thelonious wrote:You do realise that in older times devils and demon were black?
You mean back when they didn't use colours for their drawings?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 06 Apr 2011, 01:03

ThunderTitan wrote: You mean back when they didn't use colours for their drawings?
:rofl: :loll:

Orange
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Orange » 23 Apr 2011, 23:03

Would you still hate the dwarf faction if it included:
Dwarf with an hammer/axe
Dwarf with a musket
Bear rider
Gnome with Dynamite
Giant
something non dwarf
something else non dwarf (Ran out of ideas)

That way its not all boring dwarves.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 24 Apr 2011, 13:42

Tbh, I'm a little ambivalent towards the whole Dwarven faction. They barely made it into H5, they're not going to make it into the starting line-up of H6, and the chances of them making another expansion cameo are slim.

I'll sure miss raiding those dwarven treasuries though....love to see them return as a neutral unit.

Trouble is, BHole are trying to take the series in another direction with the shunning of both dwarves and elves. This kind of discrimination against classic fantasy races is intolerable ;)

Sanctuary betta have one heck of a storyline to justify its inclusion at the expense of so many other factions though. But some human princess having a tiff with her father and running off to join a gang of lizards is hardly sounding like the stuff of legends though is it?

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 25 Apr 2011, 01:12

Yup, Dwarf faction in HV is one of the most boring faction to me. But I like the idea of rune magic though.

As for HVI, indeed, the storyline is so weak. They try to 'force' the story that each of the king's child take a different races as ally.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2011, 20:10

ecsunotos wrote:They try to 'force' the story that each of the king's child take a different races as ally.
Ah, but even if it's a somehow forced thing, it's just natural that one ought to believe one's surroundings to be the right path if raised as one of a kind, like a person who would be taught religion as if the only truth on earth and nothing else.

It's more like a cliche that each one took a different path. It was rather interesting idea if they just started bugging themselves from their paths afterwards - more interesting than the actual story, I mean. Cliche still nonetheless.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jun 2011, 14:03

Forced circumstances are present in 99% of stories... it doesn't really affect the quality of the storytelling by itself...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 09 Jul 2011, 12:18

ecsunotos wrote:Yup, Dwarf faction in HV is one of the most boring faction to me. But I like the idea of rune magic though.

As for HVI, indeed, the storyline is so weak. They try to 'force' the story that each of the king's child take a different races as ally.
True but they need an excuse for why the elves aren't present. The races present are those that they chose. So it isn't really forced at all.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 10 Jul 2011, 17:01

From Best to Worst based on Esthetic:

1. Sanctuary
2. Haven
3. Necropolis
4. Stronghold
5. Inferno

From Best to Worst based on Creature Line-up

1. Sanctuary
2. Necropolis
3. Haven
4. Inferno
5. Stronghold

I think every faction except Sanctuary is pretty terrible and that is one of the biggest weaknesses of this game so far for me. I'm kind of surprised that the adventure map can look really nice, but the factions and towns make me want to cast blind on myself. B-)

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 10 Jul 2011, 18:04

Care to explain why you rank Sanctuary so highly, Crag? When I do finally get my hands on a copy of the game, I plan to take an instant irrational dislike of all things Sanctuary, just because they ousted three classic factions just to accomodate them... :)

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 10 Jul 2011, 22:43

Sure. I ranked Sanctuary 1st based on Esethics because I think the units look better than other units overall. ;|

As for creature line-up they are less race based and have more distinct units in the line-up (but they are still pretty similar unfortunately).

By the way, I never wanted a naga town, just one naga unit. Instead, they put in a Samurai Godzilla. Oh well, tldr (<-- I have no idea what that means) I don't really find Sanctuary super praiseworthy, but I do find the other factions so disgusting that it doesn't take much for Sanctuary to be better than them. Think of my rankings more like which factions suck less.

I mean come on, for faction line-up, how hard is it to beat:

1. Skinny Orc
2. Orc on a Zebra
3. LSD Orc (Dreamweaver)
4. Halloween Orc
5. Muscle Orc
6. Monster Orc (Cyclops)
7. Bird Woman (The one unique unit)

And it's not like their art style (esthetic) makes each orc unique.

Don't make me do one for Inferno.

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 11 Jul 2011, 11:32

Whilst the relative appreciation of aesthetics obviously varies widely between fans, I find the inclusion of an oriental faction a little off-putting in such a classic Western turn-based strategy title. And I've said this before but, the units are too diverse to look like a cohesive army.

Strange how I don't dismiss the new Orc faction along similar lines - I find their Aztec-influenced style just so more convincing. Not just a derivative Orc race that they could have so easily been. Casting the Harpy as the Stronghold's flyer is one of the few masterstrokes Blackhole have pulled off so far imho.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jul 2011, 20:02

Blocks100 wrote:I find the inclusion of an oriental faction a little off-putting in such a classic Western turn-based strategy title.
Besides the Knight faction a lot of the others where certainly not 100% composed of western creatures... just creatures that where westernised by D&D.

Casting the Harpy as the Stronghold's flyer is one of the few masterstrokes Blackhole have pulled off so far imho.
Yeah, that's totally original and not already something they did back in 2002...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”