Your favourite faction?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which one are you most excited about?

Haven
14%
Inferno
4%
Necropolis
22%
Sanctuary
50%
Stronghold
10%

Total votes: 50

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 14 Mar 2011, 10:36

Sanctuary's creatures are well-made but the faction as a whole does not look very spectacular as far as I'm concerned. Still it's better than the girlish Sylvan.
As for "favourite", I voted Inferno, even though it is not really impressive. Just the rest are even less impressive.
Beware Kreegans bearing gifts.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Mar 2011, 12:26

Kaxeon wrote:So you are unable to make a decision about the artwork of each town, and you have no preferences regarding the races? You do not have any town/race/faction you traditionally like or feel somehow connected to based on previous or other games?

Thats pretty weird :P

This game is not all about gameplay.
When I first started playing Heroes 2 I picked Necromancer because the only map I played then was Slugfest, and I liked Necromancer having one more dragon than Warlock (who one of my friends always picked) to start that map with.

When I first started playing Heroes 3, I picked Tower because I was reading this series where one prominent location was the "Tower of the Sun".

When I first started playing Heroes 4, I picked Nature / Preserve because they had ranged combat heroes, unlike all the other races.

When I first started playing Heroes 5, I started a thread here on Celestial Heavens asking which race would be best suited to my playstyle (you can probably still find it if you search the Heroes 5 subforum), and wound up playing Sylvan.

If there's a town I traditionally like, it's Sylvan, but not only will I happily not play them if the situation dictates (or simply on a whim), they aren't in Heroes 6, so ...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 14 Mar 2011, 21:44

Kaxeon wrote: Thats pretty weird :P

I agree to the point that I am interested in the campaign editor standpoint, but if it isn't about gameplay for the gamer, then that is weird. :jester:
Banedon wrote: If there's a town I traditionally like, it's Sylvan, but not only will I happily not play them if the situation dictates (or simply on a whim), they aren't in Heroes 6, so ...
I too prefer the elf faction, preserve H-IV and Sylvan in my limited H-V play, they are sadly missing. So I can't vote for any of these not because they are bad, I am just not familiar with them and I do think it is about gameplay not graphics.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 16 Mar 2011, 09:42

I'd like to play with all the factions, but I think I'd like to see what necromancy does this time round. Futhermore with necromancers being the 'oh were good at first and then turn evil as we want to rule the world' I'd like to see a different plot this time - which is promising to look good.

I don't know, I think sanctuary will not be so special as people hope it'll be.
Grah!

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 16 Mar 2011, 10:23

The more stuff i see about this game the more i'm probably going to spend an insane amount of time playing every faction.
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Mar 2011, 21:38

It's not insane, it's just ... well, yeah, it's insane, but it's our kind of insane, so ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kaxeon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaxeon » 17 Mar 2011, 21:52

jeff wrote:
Kaxeon wrote: Thats pretty weird :P

I agree to the point that I am interested in the campaign editor standpoint, but if it isn't about gameplay for the gamer, then that is weird. :jester:
Of course it's about gameplay, but it's not the ONLY thing that matters. It's also about atmosphere and graphics, something which will be different for each town.

If gameplay was the only thing that mattered, there would be no need for fancy graphics or good names for the creatures, or a well written campaing story. The game could beplayed in 2d with little "cards" with text instead of 3d models of each creature.

I find it weird if you are unable to vote for a faction beacuse "it's all about gameplay!". Pretend they all play the same. Which town do you like the most then?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Mar 2011, 22:17

Kaxeon wrote:I find it weird if you are unable to vote for a faction beacuse "it's all about gameplay!". Pretend they all play the same. Which town do you like the most then?
I thought I was pretty clear, I had only limited gameplay with H-V as I was so disappointed in it, and since these factions are improved versions of H-V I can't make an informed pick. The faction I played when given a choice was Sylvan it is not a pick. Sorry gameplay is far more important than you seem to think. H-V's graphics did not save it, and I think you overrate the number of today's players that care much about the story. I wish you were more correct on that point as I agree with you story and atmosphere should matter.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 19 Mar 2011, 10:32

Is there any option for factions in the upcoming expansions....? Some dungeon maybe... or some asylum... I don't care about the name... Or any Nature? Bah...
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Mar 2011, 11:12

I heard somewhere rumour that there could appear "Nature" and "Asylum" later. But because I didn't hear it form Ubi, it's a mere speculation at this time.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 19 Mar 2011, 14:55

They kinda hinted on classic factions coming back in expansions.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 31 Mar 2011, 18:37

You'd figure story wise that the Wizards will return as they tie in with the necros and orcs.

Elves are less likely, yet seemingly more wanted. And they have the whole: lets split-up in two because there weren't enough elven units in this game allready :P

I'd guess we've got a fair chance of seeing Wizards return - as to the elves; we'll have to wait and see the hints in the campaign. I mean, the orcs and dwarves weren't really advertized yet they did seem to want to take the focus off the demon in the first HoMM V expansion (hence the Dwarves) and refocus it on the demons the second expansion (hence the orcs)

I do hope we'll see another heroes without demons or with demons which will actually do more to the storyline then being the big baddies who want to rule the world/destroy it.
Grah!

furret
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby furret » 01 Apr 2011, 11:32

Sanctuary... Even though we still havn't seen the most of it. Then Inferno, heaven, stronghold and last - Necropolis.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2011, 23:07

Well we know all the units, what more do you want to see?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 08 Apr 2011, 12:43

Some first impressions of the races - anyone know if the order given in the creatures screen is in order of their level (e.g. Radiant Glories are level 6 units), etc?

Sanctuary: strange faction. It says in their strengths and weaknesses that they have powerful triggered abilities, but Spring Spirits look pretty weak and they're the main support creature. Triggering the dual buff skill would make the target just like Silver Unicorns, which would matter if Spring Spirits are worth buffing in the first place. If they're supporters however they probably aren't. Pain Reflection is the same; if you're a supporter, you tend to draw less damage, especially if you have Lifeguard Membrane reducing all damage you take. The description of the faction also says they have no healing, but Coral Priestesses do have healing, I don't get it. Snow Maiden looks like a ghost (what ... isn't that Necropolis domain), but Ice Shards looks pretty weak too if Sanctuary isn't a ranged faction. What's the point of levelling out the field with traps and spikes if you're the one who's supposed to run across them? And lol, it seems Sanctuary are the faction that gets Dragogeddon in Heroes 6. Wonder if Armageddon will be in the game.

Haven: powerful defensive race. Seraphs look like utterly superb units. If they are level 4, they won't be that dangerous offensively but they'll probably wield a potent effect early in the game. Sisters are strange. So they can heal, but that's it? No Divine Strength or Righteous Might or similar? What's a level 5 supporter going to do then? Unless they're ranged of course, when Pacification might have some use, but if "it's like getting slapped" then they should be melee. Radiant Glories aren't radiant at all (lol, what happened to their supposedly blinding appearance?). If Blind works the same way it did in Heroes 3, Sun Riders will be a unit to watch.

Inferno: Ravagers can draw aggro off the race's more devastating creatures 8| Breeders are going to be fun, they increase in number after all and they're (maybe) level 5. Might have terrible stats, however. Beyond that, looks like a simple race. If they have unparalleled strength and toughness well and good, but damage is usually more important.

Necropolis: Poor Vampires are now level 3 :( So much for them carrying Necropolis armies on their backs. The ability to dodge one attack every round however is really strong. Spectres may give Necropolis defense to match Haven, although again if they're supporter units they're not likely to attack much -> Death Sceal won't activate often. Immaterial, if it works like Spectres in Heroes 5, is a godly ability, especially on a level 5 unit. Lamasus look like walking bombs. Combined with heals from Liches and Spectres, the might be effective. Fate Spinners are interesting units. They get powerful defensive abilities, which is strange on a level 7 unit, but it might combine well with Spectres and Liches I guess.

Stronghold: A unit that can move, then shoot! @_@!! Jaguar Warriors can lock down a ranged unit semi-permanently, which is a great ability. Dreamwalkers get Mass Haste? That's a definite good news for Stronghold, especially if this is the Heroes 3 Haste spell (which it sounds like). If Orcs are naturally resistant to Inferno magics, that might create a major imbalance here.

I think of all the races the one I'll play first is probably Necropolis or Haven, if there is no linear campaign where you have to play each race in sequence.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Apr 2011, 13:32

Some first impressions of the races - anyone know if the order given in the creatures screen is in order of their level (e.g. Radiant Glories are level 6 units), etc?
There are three levels only: core, elite, and champion. The glories belong to the elite group, so they are relatively equal to the griffins and sun riders.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 08 Apr 2011, 14:36

8|

How are the units ordered then? If Radiant Glories belong to the elite group together with Sun Riders and Griffins, then the ordering looks random indeed ...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Apr 2011, 17:05

They are ordered into core, elite and champion. Why should they be ordered further? Also, if I remember correctly, there'll be a fixed number of creatures from each tier for you to buy, and the player will make the decision how many, (say) griffins, sun riders and glories each you purchase; meaning you can use up the whole "quota" to buy only griffins, or divide the number among all three as you see fit.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 09 Apr 2011, 22:43

So it's something like this:

the traditional tier 1&2 are core
the traditional tier 3, 4&5 are elite
the traditional tier 6&7 are champion

And now, tier1 ~ tier 2

correct?

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 09 Apr 2011, 23:21

It's like this: 3 core, 3 elite, 1 champion.
Infiltrator out.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”