Last faction - Sanctuary

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 10 Mar 2011, 17:18

Raelag84 wrote:I think I'm gonna puke.
Me too, but I actually like the faction kind of. It's the people's reaction to the Eastern style that makes me want to puke. It has so much bias (like 75% Japanese look, 15% Chinese philosophy, and 10% Indian/Thai), and people are still making suggestions to change the faction name to a Japanese word. I really do like the faction, but the implementation is going to fool a lot of people into misunderstanding the Eastern culture in general, and not to mention how they included Indian and Thai culture into the mix.

Basically if TLDR just read the first reply to this thread for the short version.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Mar 2011, 17:56

Anyone using a video game to learn about another culture needs to be shot in the head for the good of the species.

And the name suggestions where more about Sanctuary reminding me of this:

If you have better ones i'm all ears.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 10 Mar 2011, 18:04

Yeah, mine, but you missed it:
parcaleste wrote:Image WO-O-O-O-O! Image

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2011, 18:11

ThunderTitan wrote:Anyone using a video game to learn about another culture needs to be shot in the head for the good of the species.
Not only culture.. anything, really. From gun recoil to social interaction.
Infiltrator out.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 10 Mar 2011, 18:28

Meh. Just meh.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Mar 2011, 20:26

I like the fact that it looks thoroughly Eastern. No half-ass throwing-some-nagas-into-a-knight-town rubbish. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 10 Mar 2011, 21:18

I really like how the kappa is animated though
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 10 Mar 2011, 21:58

yourworstnightmare wrote:Why?

The nagas have pretty much made me really hyped about this game. A new faction! And snake people! What's not to like?
If only I were ignorant. The thing is the people who came up with the idea of the Naga, all those years ago, were simply more creative and better story tellers than the people working at Ubisoft (all due respect).

I guess the anolgy would be how disapointed people were when Ubisoft decided to change the might and magic universe when they made Heroes 5. I like the Heroes 5 universe, but then I was (and still more or less) ignorant of that pervious universe so it did not bother me. It did however bother some long time fans.

Oh and Thundertitian. The name "Ruins" would be much better than "Sanctuary" in my opinon.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 10 Mar 2011, 23:23

Raelag84 wrote: Oh and Thundertitian. The name "Ruins" would be much better than "Sanctuary" in my opinon.
Because all their towns are in ruins and their people are miserable and living on the streets, which are in ruins as well. And whenever a rich traveler comes along, they force him into honorable combat. B-)

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 11 Mar 2011, 01:06

Infiltrator wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Anyone using a video game to learn about another culture needs to be shot in the head for the good of the species.
Oh you wouldn't know... just how many people are learning about the Japanese culture through Japanese video games and their anime? Unknowingly? Plenty.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 11 Mar 2011, 02:04

Darkström wrote:
Raelag84 wrote: Oh and Thundertitian. The name "Ruins" would be much better than "Sanctuary" in my opinon.
Because all their towns are in ruins and their people are miserable and living on the streets, which are in ruins as well. And whenever a rich traveler comes along, they force him into honorable combat. B-)
lol!

When I think of Naga I always think of the jungle chocked ruins of Indonisa and Cambodia. Although it never says so in the legends I imagine the Naga intergrating their city into the Jungle and vise versa so that their cities look like those old temples. This is because Naga as water beings would flow with the forces of nature instead of trying to dominate them and would become one with them. Hence "Ruins"

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Mar 2011, 04:53

Jac wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:
Oh you wouldn't know... just how many people are learning about the Japanese culture through Japanese video games and their anime? Unknowingly? Plenty.
Exactly just about 0,0001 % of the culture :D

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 11 Mar 2011, 07:08

ecsunotos wrote:
Jac wrote:
Infiltrator wrote: Not only culture.. anything, really. From gun recoil to social interaction.
Exactly just about 0,0001 % of the culture :D
Exactly just what I wanted to say as well. So they take that 0.0001% of their knowledge of the east and apply it in every other game they play. Like... Making things more "Japanese" with a "better" Japanese name or style or whatever, and totally ignore the fact that it's based around Asia not Japan.

Apparently their entire regioned named Hashima is not good enough? The obvious samurai and katana reference? Perhaps they should just name the naga island as "Japan" instead, lol. That ought to please the Japan-fans. And then change Sanctuary to Shiro, to complement the shogun hero. Naga to name samurai, which would complement the kirin well.

Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Magelord » 11 Mar 2011, 09:13

Absolute FAILURE!

1. No Warlock/Dungeon = They were there since the beginning

2. No Wizard/Academy = They were there since the beginning

3. No Elves/Sorceress = They were there since the beginning

I never had a problem with adding new factions but when half the original ones get removed in a singe game then it is time for me to make CD copies of my heroes 3 through 5 games so that as I ware them out playing them I can just replace them as needed until someone makes Heroes 7.

"On an interesting note when Heroes 7 is announced it will automatically have a HUGE following if they just promise to bring back the original Starting Factions we have all enjoyed for the last 20 years!"

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 11 Mar 2011, 09:13

The only things that bug me is that there now are both an Ice Spirit and a Water Spirit in the Sactuary (and I don't think both is needed). Also the Water Spirit look like the Water Elemental. Things could get confusing.

And the Sharkmen are boring. But all in all: Nagas! Hooray!

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 11 Mar 2011, 09:52

No Wizard/Academy = They were there since the beginning
No they wern't
No Elves/Sorceress = They were there since the beginning
What they evolved in homm3 is pretty much non recognizable, apart from elf unit and 1 hero.
. No Warlock/Dungeon = They were there since the beginning
HOMM 4 didnt had warlock as starting class so asylum breaks tradition here as well, so there is gap in this statement as well.
Also they will probably add factions in addons like they did with barbarians in homm5

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Mar 2011, 10:37

Wizard, Warlock, Elves : Save the best for last.
I can wait them for expansion.

As for "water elemental" that seemed like water spirit.
Just my opinion : They won't make two units that almost exactly the same as those. That's fool decission. (Just forget about maniac, tormentor, juggernaut, etc. )

I think Dev tricked us in the demo. Maybe, that time, the water elemental has not been made yet. But they want to give us a water battlefield demo. They need a "water elemental" figure. So Dev used water spirit for water elemental and changed their name.
They changed the name of water spirit to water elemental just because that time ( when the demo launched ) Sanctuary has not been revealed yet.
Obviously, Dev didn't want to give us any clue for unrevealed faction

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Mar 2011, 11:00

I think this faction's theme is quiet promissing :

- Water World : They've tried to blend troops line up. I think they've done it quiet good. ( Although there are 3 not so good creatures : Shark Warior, Water Spirit and maiden, we have to admitted it ). But this faction is better than HoMM III Fortress ( equal theme )
- Water Magic : slowing down enemy, rearrange position in battlefield ( summon tsunami spell (?) ) quiet interesting.
- Balance Defense and Attack skill.

But What does "honorable battle" ( focus on one target ) mean ?

Peredhil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Peredhil » 11 Mar 2011, 11:10

tress wrote:
No Elves/Sorceress = They were there since the beginning
What they evolved in homm3 is pretty much non recognizable, apart from elf unit and 1 hero.

Also the unicorns and dwarves .

I believe they will bring back only 1 or 2 out of 3 older factions in expansions,most likely Sylvan and/or Academy factions.I don't know if dark elves are independent in Heroes VI.Also they might want to introduce a second new race,like Faceless.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 11 Mar 2011, 11:22

Peredhil wrote: Also they might want to introduce a second new race,like Faceless.
Any official source 'bout that ?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”