Only 4 resources. Good or bad?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 23 Feb 2011, 16:56

Metathron wrote:
Neidhaart wrote:
Metathron wrote:So there's not much of a point in trying the vanilla AoW II or is there?
Nope. Shadow Magic is what it should have been from the start.

Kind of like ToE vs prior versions of HoMM5?

Kind of. It's a bit difficult to compare the two.
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 23 Feb 2011, 18:25

I think that with 4 resources, I will be more inclined to protect my mines; if that's still possible.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2011, 11:46

Why, when instead of having 1 mine for gems, 1 for ore and 1 for sulphur you now would have 3 mines for dragon crystals?

If they can make simultaneous turns work properly and balance all the factions with a fine toothed comb, this might just turn into the best HOMM yet.
There's a reason why SC2 only has 3 races... and why they took out ha;f the stuff they wanted to do during development...

Balance = blandness...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Crayfish
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crayfish » 24 Feb 2011, 12:30

ThunderTitan wrote:Why, when instead of having 1 mine for gems, 1 for ore and 1 for sulphur you now would have 3 mines for dragon crystals?

If they can make simultaneous turns work properly and balance all the factions with a fine toothed comb, this might just turn into the best HOMM yet.
There's a reason why SC2 only has 3 races... and why they took out ha;f the stuff they wanted to do during development...

Balance = blandness...

I guess people play games for different reasons, but poor balance is a dealbreaker for me. Balance allows numerous strategies. When one or two strategies overpower everything else, no one tries anything different, and that`s the blandest thing of all.

I`ve enjoyed Starcraft II orders of magnitude more than most games I have owned recently (civilization 5, now that`s real blandness!). I don`t think it`s a bad example to follow, and given its sales record I suspect it will have at least been glanced at during HOMM6 development.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 24 Feb 2011, 12:38

ThunderTitan wrote: There's a reason why SC2 only has 3 races... and why they took out ha;f the stuff they wanted to do during development...

Balance = blandness...
Starcraft has 3 races that are more different from each other than a myriad of strategy games that seemingly have more factions, who in turn have a lot more common with each other.

Take Civilization for example, nations are 90% the same thing. If you can play Japan it's certainly no effort to play with the Russians. Unlike SC where a good Terran can downright suck at Protoss or Zerg.
Infiltrator out.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 24 Feb 2011, 14:37

Infiltrator wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: There's a reason why SC2 only has 3 races... and why they took out ha;f the stuff they wanted to do during development...

Balance = blandness...
Starcraft has 3 races that are more different from each other than a myriad of strategy games that seemingly have more factions, who in turn have a lot more common with each other.

Take Civilization for example, nations are 90% the same thing. If you can play Japan it's certainly no effort to play with the Russians. Unlike SC where a good Terran can downright suck at Protoss or Zerg.
I have not played Strcraft (not fan of RTS) but in Civilization Japan and Russia are supposed to be 90% similar, so I would say it is working as intended.

On the other hand, difference between factions are good. But do they really need to be completely different? It's better to fins a sweet spot between completely similar factions and completely different ones.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2011, 16:51

Infiltrator wrote: Starcraft has 3 races that are more different from each other than a myriad of strategy games that seemingly have more factions, who in turn have a lot more common with each other.
Unlike SC where a good Terran can downright suck at Protoss or Zerg.
Point was that even Blizzard sucked at balancing more then 3 races (see opinions on WC3 from pro-Sc players).

Take Civilization for example, nations are 90% the same thing. If you can play Japan it's certainly no effort to play with the Russians.
Sure, but that game was enough variables that you can play one faction in a million ways...

I guess people play games for different reasons, but poor balance is a dealbreaker for me. Balance allows numerous strategies. When one or two strategies overpower everything else, no one tries anything different, and that`s the blandest thing of all.
True, the real problem is that people will always just use the most efficient strategies because they just want to win, hence build orders...

But lets not pretend that SC allows for that great a number of strategies... it just has a higher number of good strategies then other games while having a lower number of overall strategies you can employ...

Because i don't want to win at all costs being able to play the game in more ways is more fun to me...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”