Are you really hyped?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
intipacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby intipacha » 15 Feb 2011, 07:11

Elvin wrote:Those bastards are working on delivering you a good game.
no, they're working on delivering a game that sells good. it is clear in many aspects and i won't go into details.

kind of like starwars episode I-III.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Feb 2011, 07:20

I'm sure you'd dislike making a game that sells poorly. As much as you'd like people to screw you over by pirating it. I haven't been a saint myself but seriously? The game is not even out, you know just about 20% about it if that and you condemn it already?

Now, if it was terribly overpriced, had DRM that required constant internet connection, had poor balance etc etc I would understand to an extent.. But right now you sound like a brat, no offense.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 15 Feb 2011, 08:32

Infiltrator wrote:
Kranyum wrote:Take Heroes 4, slap some of the good stuff from Heroes 3 (mostly the combat screen) and u have a great thing to build upon.
I'm pretty sure most of us would take Heroes 3, improve balance, hero diversity/advancement, and to top it off by drinking a potion that makes us think Heroes 4 was just a bad dream.
Discussing personal preferences on an internet forum isn't likely to lead to someone getting convinced of anything. I loved both H3 and H4 but to me H4 is really the next step when it comes to strategy (multiple hero army means exponentially multiple choices) and gameplay(races play pretty different to each other in H4 than in H3).

That is not to say, I don't recognize the fact that H4 was extremely unpolished and released way to early. As well as the fact that some aspects of H3 could have carried over to H4 and improved it immensely (The hex-based combat, the economy, maybe creature upgrades (not so sure on this one)). But the core philosophy of H4 is bound to be a greater success due exactly to the fact that heroes as army units will create multi-dimensional strategies, instead of the good-old gather one big army and when it dies you lose. Also the spell system is pretty much the best one we've seen in any Heroes games - and it leads to a much better diversity between the way different factions play.

The fact of the matter is with H4 the devs tried to create something new and revolutionary which turned out to be quite fun (for some of us), whereas H5 failed and H6 will fail because they really havent strayed too much away from the winner H3 formula which you cannot really improve that much... or I guess, you can improve the graphics and artwork... which is exactly what they have added (lol).

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Feb 2011, 09:05

Umm H5 offered a LOT more tactical possibilities than H4 ever could. All it took was returning the town's units to 7, giving them all interesting specials and having alternative upgrades. If you see some good replays you'd be amazed at the depth of the game.
- Metathron

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 15 Feb 2011, 09:08

Kranyum wrote:... The fact of the matter is with H4 the devs tried to create something new and revolutionary which turned out to be quite fun (for some of us), whereas H5 failed and H6 will fail because they really havent strayed too much away from the winner H3 formula which you cannot really improve that much... or I guess, you can improve the graphics and artwork... which is exactly what they have added (lol).
Please, stop making complete idiot of yourself, it's not even funny.

As for me, I am kinda scared from what I see in some of the innovations in H VI so far (the global map) and also a bit sceptic about the new skill system (don't like this step in the generic RPG style one). So no, I am not hyped, but more like concerned, huh.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Feb 2011, 09:11

Indeed. Good thing is there will be news pretty soon :)
- Metathron

intipacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby intipacha » 15 Feb 2011, 09:14

Elvin wrote:I'm sure you'd dislike making a game that sells poorly. As much as you'd like people to screw you over by pirating it. I haven't been a saint myself but seriously? The game is not even out, you know just about 20% about it if that and you condemn it already?

Now, if it was terribly overpriced, had DRM that required constant internet connection, had poor balance etc etc I would understand to an extent.. But right now you sound like a brat, no offense.
honestly now, had they been working on a GOOD game, the 20% (more, i'd argue) we've seen so far would be way different.

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 15 Feb 2011, 09:16

parcaleste wrote:
Kranyum wrote:... The fact of the matter is with H4 the devs tried to create something new and revolutionary which turned out to be quite fun (for some of us), whereas H5 failed and H6 will fail because they really havent strayed too much away from the winner H3 formula which you cannot really improve that much... or I guess, you can improve the graphics and artwork... which is exactly what they have added (lol).
Please, stop making complete idiot of yourself, it's not even funny.

let's not flame eachother yes?

Mirez,

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 15 Feb 2011, 09:40

Well, one can take any homm game and find there space for tons of improvements. And in a way I would prefer the developers to go rather that way than reinventing everything.

As of being hyped... no. A few signs of hope vs many signs of problems.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 15 Feb 2011, 11:23

i'm so hyped i just can't wait to pirate the game and and give my contribution to financially damaging the bastards.
Just to shatter your illusions - pirating game in case you dislike it and wouldn't waste 50$ for it anyway, doesn't cost company anything. In fact it only adds to its marketing, and raises its popularity. On other hand if you like it and pirate, why in the hell you do that. Either way your evil master plan is foiled... Not that I might not borrow game first to know if it is worth my cash.
Kranyum wrote:Censored.
Wow thats good attitude.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Feb 2011, 11:54

TheUndeadKing wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:I'm pretty sure most of us would take Heroes 3, improve balance, hero diversity/advancement
Guess what, Nival gave you just what you wanted, guys.
I wouldn't waste my breath, some people are just chronically miserable.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 15 Feb 2011, 12:03

Thanks bro, any other mental impairment I should be on the lookout for?
Infiltrator out.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 15 Feb 2011, 12:57

I rather have an "new" game with improvements, new features then a remake of, say, h3. If i want to play H3 again, just install it and play again.
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

Aerosoldier
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Aerosoldier » 15 Feb 2011, 14:10

Heroes IV and V were new games nothing similiar as III and look what they are, V isn't as bad but is nowhere near III or II.
Oh Hypocrisy! A world full of n00bs Indeed!

sezerp
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sezerp » 15 Feb 2011, 14:36

TheUndeadKing wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:I'm pretty sure most of us would take Heroes 3, improve balance, hero diversity/advancement
Yes, crappy AI, small maps and yet the turns somehow taking ages to complete are totally what we, H3 fans, wanted :disagree:

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 15 Feb 2011, 14:51

sezerp wrote:
TheUndeadKing wrote:
Yes, crappy AI, small maps and yet the turns somehow taking ages to complete are totally what we, H3 fans, wanted :disagree:
I found that there was always 1 AI player in H3 which took for ever to complete their turn. I always tried to hunt them down because of it. :D
H5 seemed to do the same thing.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 15 Feb 2011, 16:13

Elvin wrote:Umm H5 offered a LOT more tactical possibilities than H4 ever could. All it took was returning the town's units to 7, giving them all interesting specials and having alternative upgrades. If you see some good replays you'd be amazed at the depth of the game.
sezerp wrote:Yes, crappy AI, small maps and yet the turns somehow taking ages to complete are totally what we, H3 fans, wanted :disagree:
It was bound to get slower and smaller by going full 3D. But yeah there is also this game named "Civilization IV", which is slower and has a smaller world than Civilization II (which is my favorite game in the series) and it also had a pretty bad AI too (but it was patched later), but guess what, it plays GREAT and it's an EXCELLENT game.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 15 Feb 2011, 16:31

I guess I'm in the minority for thinking both H4 and H5 offered a lot of tactical variety?

Also: Nice ROFL gimmick. :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Feb 2011, 17:35

@TheUndeadKing
Let me guess, you only played AI or your hotseat buddies. Love the pic though!
- Metathron

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 15 Feb 2011, 18:10

Since H4 and H5 both have bad AI's, both are just as tactical as the players playing them, which means H4 can be just as tactical as H5 (if not even more). Disliking H4's gameplay is understandable, but saying H5 is way more tactical than H4, is a bit too much, IMO.

And glad you liked the pic, guys. :D
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Return to “Heroes V-VI”