What's The Worst Faction ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 23 Sep 2010, 20:43

Well I gather that the Ubisoft producers do have a rudimentary understanding of the MM lore, if perhaps not a perfect one. As I understand it at this point, the decision to create this new setting was indeed partially made out of respect for the continuity (and I do have reason to believe that) - i.e. despite having some knowledge of the canon, they really really feared screwing up the world of Axeoth. And on top of that they probably wanted extra creative control anyway.

Unfortunately it was so late in the production process that Ashan ended up being developed alongside Heroes V and its expansions, and therefore the games thus far (except Clash of Heroes) have been full of self-contradictions, errors and rather trite storytelling - which unfortunately, albeit sort of appropriately, appears to have resulted in more bitterness than botching up Axeoth could have.

I think H6 will be a vast improvement, but don't quote me on that unless I repeat it while we're playing it :)

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 23 Sep 2010, 21:27

Corlagon wrote:Well I gather that the Ubisoft producers do have a rudimentary understanding of the MM lore, if perhaps not a perfect one. As I understand it at this point, the decision to create this new setting was indeed partially made out of respect for the continuity (and I do have reason to believe that) - i.e. despite having some knowledge of the canon, they really really feared screwing up the world of Axeoth. And on top of that they probably wanted extra creative control anyway.

Unfortunately it was so late in the production process that Ashan ended up being developed alongside Heroes V and its expansions, and therefore the games thus far (except Clash of Heroes) have been full of self-contradictions, errors and rather trite storytelling - which unfortunately, albeit sort of appropriately, appears to have resulted in more bitterness than botching up Axeoth could have.

I think H6 will be a vast improvement, but don't quote me on that unless I repeat it while we're playing it :)
Heroes V the game is full of clues that point to Ashan being Axeoth in the far future. There is nothing strictly wrong with the story, except that they ran away from the idea that they actually implemented in the game campaign story line and the town bios.

They even went to the gratuitous lengths of inventing an event (a great plague that covered all of Axeoth) that doesn't even feature in Heroes IV.

I do hold any reference to Heroes IV that might appear in the game at higher than about 3 lines of the history of a bunch of people who can't manage to remember the date of almost any events more than 1000 years ago, a history which then essentially begins with some semi-mythical figure.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 23 Sep 2010, 22:27

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:Heroes V the game is full of clues that point to Ashan being Axeoth in the far future. There is nothing strictly wrong with the story, except that they ran away from the idea that they actually implemented in the game campaign story line and the town bios.
Let's see how many references there'll be in H6.

Zenofex
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Zenofex » 23 Sep 2010, 22:28

Corlagon wrote:Well I gather that the Ubisoft producers do have a rudimentary understanding of the MM lore, if perhaps not a perfect one. As I understand it at this point, the decision to create this new setting was indeed partially made out of respect for the continuity (and I do have reason to believe that) - i.e. despite having some knowledge of the canon, they really really feared screwing up the world of Axeoth. And on top of that they probably wanted extra creative control anyway.
Most likely the last sentence is the answer. By in any case they were by no means obliged to continue the story from where NWC left it, i.e. on Axeoth. Pick a few important characters, move them through a portal (or portals, not necessarily situated in geographically adjacent locations) for some reason, close the portals behind them for another reason or blow the whole world because some android's CPU has gone wacky, throw them in another ex-member of the Web of the Worlds and voila - you are free to both start anew and keep enough of the old.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Sep 2010, 10:47

Darkström wrote:
Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:Heroes V the game is full of clues that point to Ashan being Axeoth in the far future. There is nothing strictly wrong with the story, except that they ran away from the idea that they actually implemented in the game campaign story line and the town bios.
I' sure we'll have an ester-egg mention of some old here somewhere and Slayer will find a way to connect it to Mysterio the Magnificent brainwashing everyone to think he's a female dragon with an evil twin...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 26 Sep 2010, 02:14

ThunderTitan wrote:
Darkström wrote:
I' sure we'll have an ester-egg mention of some old here somewhere and Slayer will find a way to connect it to Mysterio the Magnificent brainwashing everyone to think he's a female dragon with an evil twin...
Yeah, you're right... I know it sounds a bit mean, but I'm sorry Slayer, you're quite alone with your theses...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2010, 14:11

Oh, i forgot to finish that...

I' sure we'll have an ester-egg mention of some old here somewhere and Slayer will find a way to connect it to Mysterio the Magnificent brainwashing everyone to think he's a female dragon with an evil twin... that's actually just him with a fake moustache and fiery-red contact lenses.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Cerulean0987
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cerulean0987 » 31 Jan 2011, 03:19

Not sure about HoMM 6 factions yet because it obviously isn't released yet, but I've always thought Fortress was the worst. My titans/wizards/gremlins would always mow them down before they even got close.

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 07 Feb 2011, 10:32

Cerulean0987 wrote:Not sure about HoMM 6 factions yet because it obviously isn't released yet, but I've always thought Fortress was the worst. My titans/wizards/gremlins would always mow them down before they even got close.
not to mention they're boring too

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Feb 2011, 22:20

ecsunotos wrote:not to mention they're boring too
You're in little company saying that...
Grah!

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 08 Feb 2011, 01:32

Thelonious wrote:You're in little company saying that...
And I still have a right to say that. That's called democracy ... :D

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 08 Feb 2011, 17:39

ecsunotos wrote:
I'm not saying you can't say it, I'm just saying most people don't agree. Anyhow the lizards are getting revamped anyways...
Grah!

MattII
Demon
Demon

Unread postby MattII » 08 Feb 2011, 19:24

ecsunotos wrote:
Actually it's called 'freedom of speech', 'democracy' is where you're allowed to choose your government. :D

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 09 Feb 2011, 01:19

'Freedom of Speech' is the son of 'Democracy'
:D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Feb 2011, 16:44

ecsunotos wrote: And I still have a right to say that. That's called democracy ... :D
Tell that to Socrates...

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 28 Feb 2011, 07:07

So far, by those artwork, video, and info released, which can be the worst faction in HoMM VI ?
I find Inferno will be the worst for the first installment, just due to their reddish skin color, flame every where, boring appearance to its troops, and so alike creature concept.
But, I think they've quiet promising creature ability for several troops,such as pit lord, succubuss, and breeder

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2011, 08:48

Breeder still looks awful... maybe more and a little smaller tentacles on top would help....

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 28 Feb 2011, 09:22

ThunderTitan wrote:Breeder still looks awful... maybe more and a little smaller tentacles on top would help....
Its ability quiet promising to me

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 02 Mar 2011, 09:11

The dwarves were boring in HoMM V. I don't mind a dwarf town, it make sense considering the direction the series is going, but please, only 3 or 4 dwarves, certainly not 6 of them that almost look identical. If the dwarves return they need a complete rehash.

I actually think Inferno is quite boring. I understand they are returning in every game located in Ashan due to their central position in the story, but they'll probably be one of my least favorite factions once again. For HoMM VII: No more Inferno!!!

I like how there are only 4 human units in Haven for HoMM VI. That's a good step.

Would Dungeon even make sense in the HoMM VI time frame? Haven't they recently split from the Sylvan elves, and prefer to remain hidden underground at this point in time?

ecsunotos
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby ecsunotos » 02 Mar 2011, 09:44

yourworstnightmare wrote:The dwarves were boring in HoMM V. I don't mind a dwarf town, it make sense considering the direction the series is going, but please, only 3 or 4 dwarves, certainly not 6 of them that almost look identical. If the dwarves return they need a complete rehash.

I actually think Inferno is quite boring. I understand they are returning in every game located in Ashan due to their central position in the story, but they'll probably be one of my least favorite factions once again. For HoMM VII: No more Inferno!!!

I like how there are only 4 human units in Haven for HoMM VI. That's a good step.

Would Dungeon even make sense in the HoMM VI time frame? Haven't they recently split from the Sylvan elves, and prefer to remain hidden underground at this point in time?
One has voted NO for Dwarf and Inferno .... 'cause they're 'boring' ... :devil:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”