Answers From the Devs

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby vicheron » 29 Jan 2011, 03:02

Who said that he had to kill Biara? She would have been much more useful as a prisoner.

Plus choosing between the scroll and Biara was a false dilemma since he could have done both.

Also, the fact that he chose to save Irollan instead of going straight to Zehir doomed the world since it allowed the Demon Sovereign to create the Dark Messiah.
Edited on Fri, Jan 28 2011, 22:02 by vicheron

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jan 2011, 10:55

Findan was an idiot in HV (as all campaign hereos there in fact). He let Biara go for scroll which SHE destroyed anyway before Zehir can use it. So in the end, Findan made more evil with not capturing/killing Biara (all this Holy Isabel Church story arc).

To be honest, Findan, Godric and Realag never get a chance to redeem themselves in FoH or ToE unlike Zehir.
However Findan and Godric seem to have more brain cells in CoH.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Jan 2011, 11:36

Done both? Nah, sharpshooters err arcane archers did not appear until tote :p

Raelag was waiting for the right time to make his move so even if Findan went straight to deliver the scroll, Raelag would still be there in the room with Isabel and Shadya. And after all.. Prophesies always find a way, if Findan had acted differently it would still have come to pass.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby vicheron » 29 Jan 2011, 11:55

That's a real cop out answer. You might as well say that the whole game was pointless since the prophecy was going to be fulfilled anyway. If everything was predestined then why not just set the game after Dark Messiah and have it be about demons being released?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby XEL II » 29 Jan 2011, 12:12

Best thing to do is send Sheltem to Ashan in order to cleanse cliche and unoriginality from it.
Edited on Sat, Jan 29 2011, 07:15 by XEL II
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Answers From the Devs

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Jan 2011, 12:15

Right and H6 is pointless because we know what happens in the future Image
- Metathron

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby XEL II » 29 Jan 2011, 12:18

The whole Ashan is pointless, in fact, because it was ungodly stupid to scrap the awesome original universe to replace it with something half-baked.
Edited on Sat, Jan 29 2011, 07:18 by XEL II
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jan 2011, 12:32

XEL II - I think it's enough. Yes, scrapping all original work of NWC and story behind MM Universe and replacing it with common fantasy world like Ashan was very stupid move but we have to live with it.

NWC also made stupip moves like destoying Enroth after we (players) saved it many times from destruction. They could move to Axeoth like they do it in case of Ardon in CoMM/WoMM series but NWC choose otherwise.

Now, it's better to focus on pointing out Ubisoft own mistakes (about lore in this case) in their new world and lame excuse for them (mispeling Sylath, three moons, the whole HV original in-game plot, etc.), so they know what when are they going in wrong way.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Jan 2011, 12:53

Avonu wrote:(mispeling Sylath, three moons, ...)
Sylath is not a mispel, Ylath is simply an alternate name. And the three moons isn't necessarily a mistake, could very well be an artistic choice for necro town since they did look pretty good.
- Metathron

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jan 2011, 12:58

lame excuses ;P

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Jan 2011, 13:39

Or that yes :p
- Metathron

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 29 Jan 2011, 13:53

The H5 plot does indeed verge on the point of irreconcilability, I don't think anybody could ever fully disprove that :), but this doesn't mean Ashan is a total loss and can't be salvaged with a few well-advised moves and a decent storyline in H6.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jan 2011, 14:29

Time will tell.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 29 Jan 2011, 14:57

Well it is good the devs answered questions about the story as many of you are concerned about it. For my part, I stopped caring shortly after starting HOF. Now that they have addressed the story I hope they will now starting giving more details about gameplay and the editor. That is all I really care about, give me an editor as good as H-IV and I’ll write my own story.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Jan 2011, 15:06

We are pushing for more info, of course. Hopefully, we'll get some more soon. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jan 2011, 16:42

I don't care about the story one little bit. I just want a good game, with lots of replayability.
The campaigns were always a little weird to me. You build map a map; then you start all over again...
The H4 campaigns were so bad, I could not even figure out where to go in them. And I have not even tried the H5 ones.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby vicheron » 29 Jan 2011, 22:07

>Right and H6 is pointless because we know what happens in the future

It would be pointless if they started the game by telling you exactly what will happen at the end and that everything you do in the campaigns will be ultimately pointless because of an all powerful prophecy that will just "find a way" around all your efforts.

>NWC also made stupip moves like destoying Enroth after we (players) saved it many times from destruction. They could move to Axeoth like they do it in case of Ardon in CoMM/WoMM series but NWC choose otherwise.

But at least Heroes 4's campaigns were well written.
Edited on Sat, Jan 29 2011, 17:12 by vicheron

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Answers From the Devs

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Jan 2011, 05:58

>NWC also made stupip moves like destoying Enroth after we (players) saved it many times from destruction. They could move to Axeoth like they do it in case of Ardon in CoMM/WoMM series but NWC choose otherwise.<

The thing is that after MM8 there was a financial crisis cooking up at 3DO. Becuse of it, JVC and oher original writers and designers contributed little to the final version of HoMM IV, while Heroes Chronicles (like HoMM IV) had a different writer (Terry Ray), and MM IX didn't even had JVC among its designers. That's why story in HoMM IV and Chronicles is a bit "off". But HoMM IV campaigns on themselves were well written.

And aside from Reckoning and totally unexplained and conceptually alien Ancestors, from what NWC didn't really do any stupid moves in the storyline.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jan 2011, 17:02

I can’t believe I am commenting again on the ‘story’ but all of the Heroes I – IV (chronicles included) were fairly well written. Even H-IV with the reckoning I enjoyed. The important thing was the fact most of the ‘Heroes’ carried over. My one complaint with H-IV was they didn’t bring more of the heroes with them. One of the many things I hated about H-V is they didn’t have of the heroes I had grown to enjoy with all of the previous chapters. I think they may have added a few back in later for whatever reason, but it was way too little, way too late. This is one of the main reasons IMHO, I feel they should change the name; there is no true tie in to the history of the previous chapters. The editor in H-V was so poorly designed for the non-geek that I could not even attempt to keep the old heroes alive by creating my own maps.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “News”