Heroes VI Cyclops

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Jan 2011, 11:58

You lookin' at me? I don't see anybody else here. You lookin' at me?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=443
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 24 Jan 2011, 12:59

Giants, Cyclops and Trolls need to be countered by dwarfen Slayers with a machting area of expertise. I'd like to see them copying from GW once again in this regard. Better then they go wild and creative and we end up with things like Magmazilla and the like. Well that's if we will get a dwarf faction at all.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jan 2011, 13:04

It's a really pitty, that all the creatures seem to be following the same pattern; too beefy; too similar...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Jan 2011, 14:11

Say what you will, but this is definitely NOT a cyclops. An abomination from hell, maybe, but definitely not a cyclops. And then it's obviously in the wrong faction.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby Infiltrator » 24 Jan 2011, 14:29

The first one is maybe a cyclops.. the 2nd one looks more like a demon kraken..
Infiltrator out.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Jan 2011, 15:34

The good ol' days. :D

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby theGryphon » 24 Jan 2011, 15:51

I don't like it either but with the new lore they created in this new world of Ashan, it makes sense. Orcs: Demon experiment went awry. It's hard to swallow, I know...
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 24 Jan 2011, 17:23

It's a 'giant having a single round eye in the middle of the forehead' and therefore, a Cyclops. Is there ANYTHING this site won't ***** about?

duggo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby duggo » 24 Jan 2011, 20:11

This style is not my cup of tea.

The adventure map screenshots on the MMH6 site looks very good though.

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 24 Jan 2011, 22:15

They look OK to me.

But cyclops must have stronger ranged ability then goblin throw in H5, even if their basic attack is melee.... [imo]
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby Nelgirith » 24 Jan 2011, 22:57

What's funny is that most of you crying about it not being a cyclops would be shouting if they just copied the H2 or the H3 one, saying they lack imagination.

It's THEIR lore and thus they make THEIR creatures. Like it or not, that's just a matter of taste, but unless you've already seen a cyclops for real and are able to tell me what a cyclops exactly looks like, you can't say that this is not a cyclops or that H1/H2/H3 cyclops is what a cyclops should look like

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Jan 2011, 06:25

Well, pretty much cyclopes were described in ancient mythology so we CAN say what a cyclops should look like. And I certainly don't remember any description not mentioning they were like humans only with a round eye in their forehead. Nor do I remember any horns and fat and muscles to the limit. It seems more like a boss from Resident Evil or suspiciously close to -again- Warcraft's abomination.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby Nelgirith » 25 Jan 2011, 09:41

hellegennes wrote:Well, pretty much cyclopes were described in ancient mythology so we CAN say what a cyclops should look like. And I certainly don't remember any description not mentioning they were like humans only with a round eye in their forehead. Nor do I remember any horns and fat and muscles to the limit. It seems more like a boss from Resident Evil or suspiciously close to -again- Warcraft's abomination.
And your point is ?

To each game its lore. You can dislike the graphics of a creature, but there's no way you can say that this is not a cyclops.

Why would Ubisoft's cyclops be worse (or better, for that matter) than NWC's cyclops ? Did Jon Van Caneghem know a real cyclops ? Likewise, do you think Homer ever met a cyclops before he wrote the Odyssey ?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Jan 2011, 10:26

The H3 cyclops was funny, given that he was a shooter and would have had no depth perception. :D

I'm not even sure the problem is the look of the creatures, per se. To me, it's just over the top again. It's a company trying to grab attention with fancy graphics and forgetting about game play. I hope I'm wrong because my pool of new games to choose from is about "0" these days.

H3 was so simple, but kept most of playing for years and years.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Jan 2011, 14:54

do you think Homer ever met a cyclops before he wrote the Odyssey ?

Golly, it's a creature he is the first to mention. Actually, he is not a creature, he is a gigantic human with one round eye. That's very specific. In a bit you are going to say that if it had two eyes it could pass for a giant or a titan.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jan 2011, 19:31

Nelgirith wrote:Why would Ubisoft's cyclops be worse (or better, for that matter) than NWC's cyclops ? Did Jon Van Caneghem know a real cyclops ? Likewise, do you think Homer ever met a cyclops before he wrote the Odyssey ?
Well, you can't exactly go and create Romulans that are midgets with long teeth and no ears just because nobody saw one in real life. You have to respect the original concept, although you are free to interpret it within reasonable limits.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 25 Jan 2011, 19:56

GreatEmerald wrote:... You have to respect the original concept, although you are free to interpret it within reasonable limits.
You say "the original concept" is not respected? What is "reasonable limits" by your point of view? We are talking about a one eyed giant (that is described like a shepherd by Homer) which is skilled (heh-heh) in throwing stones. I will be the first one to agree the shepherd and stone-throwing part are not present in the Ubi Universe (even though the second one is replaced by goblin throws in HV :D ), I just can't see these ones to be such a huge problem all of you are try to make them look like. Yes, the Cyclops is not much human like, but it said (few posts ago as well) that the orcs are actually humans which were "injected" with demon blood, it's that simple.

Stop whining about nonsenses. There are much more important things to whine about in this game from the info we are getting. The ART is at least good (if not very good), it's not that easy to think of a 4 656 reincarnations of the same creature with totally different art. It's the artist's point of view, for God sakes, and it is a skilled artist on top of that (well, not Rembrand or Leonardo but still).

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Cyclops

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 25 Jan 2011, 20:45

which is skilled (heh-heh) in throwing stones

Not simple stones, but big rocks that can destroy a ship.....

Heroes IV cyclops is my favorite,..

He can be melee unit with ranged ability, but best cyclops, in my vision, is shooter without melee penalty.Similar to Gargantuan in H IV....
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 25 Jan 2011, 22:41

GreatEmerald wrote:You have to respect the original concept, although you are free to interpret it within reasonable limits.
And what is the basic concept of a Cyclops ?
  • - a giant humanoid (as in 1 head/2 legs/2 arms)
    - one-eyed
    - stupid
The H6 Cyclops respects the basic concept a Cyclops, thus it's a Cyclops. It might not be the best looking Cyclops, but it IS a Cyclops.

You can say that you don't like the H6 Cyclops, but saying it's not a Cyclops because it doesn't look like a Cyclops just makes no sense ... unless ... you've seen a Cyclops.

It's the exact same thing with Orcs, Elves, Trolls, etc... Each mythology has its own description for these creatures and most games are just picking what they like from each mythology.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jan 2011, 08:16

Nelgirith wrote:>>
And what is the basic concept of a Cyclops ?
  • - a giant humanoid (as in 1 head/2 legs/2 arms)
    - one-eyed
    - stupid
<<

Also, a giant pirate...

Putting 1 eye on some sort of bloated giant monster is a lazy way to make a Cyclops...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Screenshots”