Looking for specific peice of music from homm3 / mm6

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Da_Jester10
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Looking for specific peice of music from homm3 / mm6

Unread postby Da_Jester10 » 27 Dec 2010, 22:56

Heya all hows things

i used to play this game back in my younger days as im sure most of you did.

and just recently i heard a piece of music that i remembered and now i am on a 'holy quest' to find it lol

im pretty sure it was from HOMM3 and i know it was also might and magic 6 - mandate of heaven.

ill try to describe it and hopefully someone will know what the hell im on about

k its that violin track very distinct starts of on a high chord for a few notes then goes down to a lower chord - sorta a mysterious sounding music - its been used in lots of movies as well

ive narrowed it down to the composer paul romero, but i just want to know what that one bit of music is called

cheers if you can help me cheers if you cant :D

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Dec 2010, 23:16

No two tracks were ever used in both HoMM3 and MM6. However, the Swamp and Grass themes from HoMM3 have the same ambience at the beginning.

Da_Jester10
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Da_Jester10 » 27 Dec 2010, 23:34

checked both of those themes on youtube - not the one i am looking for :(

yeah i didnt mention the music in mm6 - i dont think it was in the actual game it self but one of the opening intro videos - very briefly i think it had a rainbow in there somewhere - very vauge i know but i know im getting closer!

thanks for the info

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Dec 2010, 20:09

Rainbow? The only thing that I could relate tot hat would be the JVC intro, but it's not in MM6. Maybe you should watch the MM6 intro again and see if you remember it there?

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 19 Jan 2011, 20:52

I don't know if the OP is still looking for this, but I just saw the post.

You should be aware that Paul Romero and Rob King frequently re-score actual pieces of classical music in their game soundtracks.

For example, the Warlock's Castle theme from HOMM I is Gavotte in D Minor from the Bach 6th English Suite for Harpsichord.

The theme music for the Temple of Baa and several other dungeons from MM6, which kind of fits the description of what you were looking for, is the Albinoni Adagio for Strings.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 22 Jan 2011, 07:26

yes, BMJedi is right, it does sound like Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor that you are looking for... "Further Exploring the Temple of Baa" borrows from that piece as well as Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.
Note that it's further exploring the temple of baa, and not the piece "temple of baa". They are two different pieces.

it doesn't appear in HoMM3 by the way.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 23 Jan 2011, 16:30

Ah, I'd forgotten that that Albinoni melody in the Baa music starts out with the introduction from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It's an interesting segue, since King and Romero use an introduction in D minor for a piece that is in G minor.

I guess the idea is to use the dominant key to introduce the tonic. Also, they only use the first bar of the Bach Toccata.

The Albinoni melody is then played three times - the first time by an oboe, the second time by a reeds-and-strings organ stop mixture, and the third time by violins with the organ. All three times are accompanied by a chime set and a men's choir singing "ah" in Gregorian chant style.

It's perfect dungeon music - I love what King and Romero do with orchestration.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 12 Jun 2011, 15:48

Used in a lot of movies? By that I can only think of the music which plays when you open an obelisk in HoMM3, which I think has been used in some movies.

But I would recommend you go on a youtube hunt. The MM6 soundtrack is there

cuc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cuc » 20 Jun 2011, 11:36

Can anyone identify H2TSW's Knight theme?

One part of it appears in the anime movie "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", when the heroine is falling down in the infirmary. The melody is completely identical.

cuc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cuc » 20 Jun 2011, 17:24

Got it. The piano part at the beginning of TSW's Knight theme comes from the first variation in Bach's Goldberg Variations, Variatio 1. a 1 Clav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVw9OOw ... 98&index=2

EDIT:
People already mentioned it on this forum:
viewtopic.php?p=121435#121435

The version in "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" sounds closer to the Knight theme than most concert versions, due to its evener and slower pace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaFwYsKLIo

Return to “Heroes I-IV”