Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 15 Oct 2010, 10:29

^^^^Maybe in a "Terminator" type of way?

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 19 Oct 2010, 21:32

Terminator way?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 20 Oct 2010, 09:06

I meant, machines building machines.

Croix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Croix » 22 Oct 2010, 07:55

If they could do that, why didn't any of the other androids do so when they were outnumbered or underpowered? I thought the most complicated Ancient devices that could be manufactured after the silence (with special equipment) were the blasters, and the best the androids could do was reprogramming themselves or others.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Oct 2010, 10:09

...or Cylons!

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 23 Oct 2010, 04:48

Is this going to be classic scenario, begin as medieval and end sci-fi ?

I hope you will finish it, some large projects as tribute and new order end progress.

Dont want to hear another message like: is suspended for some time... Since january we didn't find any time for continuing it.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 07 Nov 2010, 03:12

koval321 wrote:Is this going to be classic scenario, begin as medieval and end sci-fi ?

I hope you will finish it, some large projects as tribute and new order end progress.

Dont want to hear another message like: is suspended for some time... Since january we didn't find any time for continuing it.
Our game will have a classic scenario like the previous games. We want to stick as close to might and magic tradition as possible.

There are a few large projects that have made their way to release such as BDJ's work and Vladimir's, but yes, we know a lot of large fan projects have failed. We are still at it though!
||\............/||_||\............/||_\\.....//
||..\......../..||_||..\......../..||__\\.//
||....\..../....||_||....\..../....||__//.\\
||......\/......||_||......\/......||_//.....\\

Might and Magic X: The Anduran Saga
Official Website: http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Croix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Croix » 10 Nov 2010, 10:19

Will genies, and especially androids, be barred from using the paladin or cleric magic? I had this sudden odd feeling that allowing it would be like shooting yourself in the foot with the stock of your gun.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 14 Nov 2010, 07:40

If you build this game on some new engine then maybe you could made all possible races of character to chose, my favourite was vampires in mm8

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Nov 2010, 09:29

It's built on MM7.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 16 Nov 2010, 08:06

On mm7? I hope its possible to make new maps. So far i seen only two screens about this part, and they look like bad joke

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Nov 2010, 10:48

Of course it is. You can create and modify maps easily.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 Nov 2010, 01:02

Those screenshots are from quite early in development, koval. I should hope they've advanced past making huge bodies of water by now :)

That screenshot was only to show the ui I would think.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 18 Nov 2010, 09:04

GreatEmerald wrote:Of course it is. You can create and modify maps easily.
Am wish to try this, what programs are used to create this "game"? (its total conversion mod for mm7 ?)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Nov 2010, 12:49

It's a standalone game. They cleared all references to any MM7 resources and started everything anew.

And it's done mainly by data file manipulation. The heightmaps are in the LOD files, you can see and export them with MM8LevelEditor. The last MMLevelEditor, as it's called now, seems to support editing:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mm8leveleditor/files/
(note: With 8 is the extract/view tool, without 8 it's the edit tool)

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Map Generation

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 18 Nov 2010, 18:32

koval321 wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote:Of course it is. You can create and modify maps easily.
Am wish to try this, what programs are used to create this "game"? (its total conversion mod for mm7 ?)
Generic 3D map generation may not exactly be 'rocket science' with today's commercially-available software. However, to my knowledge, there is not a single software package available that will generate an in-game map whose data structure is compatible with the MM6-8 game engine requirements. And generating in-game maps for MM6-MM8 is not what I would call 'easy'.

I have been able to successfully generate modified and/or new in-game maps for TCC Part 2 (running under the MM6 engine). See photos.

However, in order to do so, I had to 'manually' modify (Hex edit) the map raster databases in the .LOD files for the in-game map, and then generate custom C-code to produce the 'minimap' display for each in-game map area. The map 'terrain' in the first photo took me about 10 hours to complete, including the addition and programming of the sprite terrain features (trees, rocks, et al). It took another 4 hours to determine the location of and generate the hostile 'spawns'. So this simple map of Sylphland represents 14 hours of intensive Hex-oriented 'coolie-labor'. Not exactly 'quick' nor what I would consider 'easy'.

If anyone knows of a simpler way to do this using currently-available software packages, please post a few MM6-8 in-game photos of your maps and let this community know what programs were used and how the data was imported into the .LOD files.

For what it is worth.

BDJ

PS ... I should add that Vector is going one-step beyond what I was able to accomplish. He's actually generating new terrain tiles for the maps!
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 21 Nov 2010, 05:48

BDJ is the one who taught me how to modify the maps, and I won't say that it's easy, especially with Hex, and I am not exactly a hardcore programmer. Also, as BDJ mentions, not only are we modifying the map, we are incorporating new tile sets as well which in turn requres us to make new palettes. To create a new map sets off a chain reaction of events, and it takes quite a bit of user created utilities to get it all under control, not to mention the time you have to spend experimenting before you even start.

As for the character classes and races, the game will be completely open ended. For example, I am a purist and would want my Genie to be a Sorcerer, however someone can also make their baby dragon an artificer, or their angel a theif.... you get the idea.
||\............/||_||\............/||_\\.....//
||..\......../..||_||..\......../..||__\\.//
||....\..../....||_||....\..../....||__//.\\
||......\/......||_||......\/......||_//.....\\

Might and Magic X: The Anduran Saga
Official Website: http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 08 Jan 2011, 12:18

It has been awhile ago, but how is the devolpement going?

I'm not following it anymore, since it took awhile. no offence ;)

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 08 Jan 2011, 14:51

imagine doing a project like this in your spare time, there are plenty of other things in life that need to be taken care of before you can commit to working on something like this. It will take time, for me I log on the forums a few times a week if theres news great if not ill browse the other posts :)

dogthenine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dogthenine » 11 Jan 2011, 16:47

Is this out yet? (sorry, I didn't want to read through 52 pages of posts)

Return to “Might and Magic”