Heroes VI Orc

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Dec 2010, 22:29

Heroes VI Orcs. The basic unit looks quite nice. Their official names are Mauler and Crusher, but that tells me nothing and also makes me wanna laugh, so I'm just gonna call 'em "Orcs".

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=428
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby Ryder » 31 Dec 2010, 00:33

I like the look of these two guys. That is all.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby hellegennes » 31 Dec 2010, 05:12

That's one of the most likeable units. Of course, it too suffers from the general lack of proportionality and too much detail.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Dec 2010, 09:09

Ugly and have too much detail.

Crusher? :D

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby parcaleste » 31 Dec 2010, 11:23

hellegennes wrote:... it too suffers from the general lack of proportionality...
I am so-o-o REALLY curious of about what sort of a "proportionality" are you looking for in a fantasy creature in a fantasy world, will you please explain it to me? And too much "detail"? PLEASE, it is a conceptional ART, for God's sake!

agni
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby agni » 31 Dec 2010, 13:48

kinda curious as to where exactly those two long horns are attached. shoulder pads? Earrings?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Dec 2010, 15:57

I'm just waiting for somebody to say that they look "horny" :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Dec 2010, 17:03

Kalah wrote:I'm just waiting for somebody to say that they look "horny" :D
"This is... It's green?"

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby hellegennes » 01 Jan 2011, 03:20

I am so-o-o REALLY curious of about what sort of a "proportionality" are you looking for in a fantasy creature in a fantasy world.

Well, fantasy creatures existed since antiquity but proportions were generally retained. All these creatures -even humans- have incredibly small heads and big feet. Fantasy is not an excuse for everything.

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 01 Jan 2011, 12:28

hellegennes wrote:I am so-o-o REALLY curious of about what sort of a "proportionality" are you looking for in a fantasy creature in a fantasy world.

Well, fantasy creatures existed since antiquity but proportions were generally retained. All these creatures -even humans- have incredibly small heads and big feet. Fantasy is not an excuse for everything.
Well, What you are talking about are Mythic/Fantastic creatures, not fantasy. Fantasy creatures are related to the genre of Fantasy and inspired by Myths and floklore. (Warhamme or D&D for example). In Myths and folklore there are no fixt forms. And in fantasy it is on the creator, who descides what the beasts are going to look like. The more you try to make a Fantasy realistic, the les Fantastic it will get. Or do you think a realistic wolf could eate Little red ridinghood in one bite?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby hellegennes » 01 Jan 2011, 14:28

I don't remember Perrault's wolf described differently than a common wolf. That fantastic abilities are attributed to him is another thing and does require the wolf to have feet twice the size of its head. You know, in art, even if everything is fictional, the concept of proportion is still retained. Even volumes in a painting have to balance each other out. The same goes for movement, and that's why we have the uncanny valley to refer to realism, even if we are talking about aliens or blue cats.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 01 Jan 2011, 15:45

Maybe they're related to AngelSpit :)

Angelspit fighting :D

Naah not closely related. More distant. Like a cat to a lynx :tongue:

duggo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby duggo » 01 Jan 2011, 16:44

There is also a point where something stops being Fantastic and starts being silly. This point is of course based on individual taste. To me the red one is dangerously close to that point. The left one is ok.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Heroes VI Orc

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 01 Jan 2011, 22:21

As far as I'm concerned ALL of the Heroes VI characters/creatures have teeny, tiny heads - are they of the genus "Pin heads"? Pretty much the ugliest beings in all of the Heroes games.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Jan 2011, 07:07

When you know what you are drawing it is no problem for you to make limbs bigger or smaller, it is essential "law" in the free drawing. For this to do you need to have knowledge of human/animal anatomy. Or you want to tell me that Picasso's drawings are not worthy a penny because they are "disproportional"?

And once again, this is a FANTASY WORLD with FANTASY CREATURES. In particular we are discussing ORCS here. If you don't hear a bell ringing in your head when you read that, go play some more "realistic" games like "Call of Duty" or whatever. I think this will suit you better.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jan 2011, 09:35

Yes, we should all request Chibi-Heroes, because it's a fantasy game dammit, and proportions that make your eyes bleed are ok.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Jan 2011, 09:35

Fantasy doesn't mean it must be disproportional. Realistic fantasy is more acceptable than some kind of a surrealistic fantasy. Look at HoMM3 art - everything is just right, and it still stays very much fantasy. Not through some kind of art modifications, but through the ideas themselves. That is what makes fantasy special.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Jan 2011, 10:07

H III is childish, sorry. It was nice/fun for it's time, but the world is moving forward. And fantasy also does not mean fairytale.

And @Sarcasmathrone, no one is talking about chibis, it's totally different art style there.

Most of the new creatures are very well done, even though with shi-tty names. Most of them looks - for sure - better than the HV ones and as far as it goes - are more realistic.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jan 2011, 10:42

Yeah, you where only talking about lack of realistic proportions... and it's not like the whole chibi style is one big disproportionate nightmare of cuteness...
<<H III is childish, sorry.>>
:lolu: Oh man... reminds me of all the ridiculous '90's testosterone abusing anti-heroes and how they where more "mature"... right.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 04 Jan 2011, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Jan 2011, 10:54

It is different art that serves to a different purpose. "Disproportional"? Sure, but not in the way you are referring to it.

Return to “Screenshots”