Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 10:27

I do not have the IDE drive jumpered at this time. The SATA drive is actually 120GIG.

The problem now, is that I do not have the system key to enter! :(

I gave the PC to a friend, to try and fix it, a few month back and he never returned the CD case, which had the system key on the back of it. I just emailed him to look for it again. Are there any other options? Can I email, or call Microsoft to get a code?
(weird, he just emailed the code, as I am typing...)

Also,
Can I changed the cable and jumper after the Windows install, without any problems; or should I even bother?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Dec 2010, 11:21

Pol wrote:32bits to 32bits only.
That kinda defeats the whole purpose of getting it in the first place.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Dec 2010, 11:26

Why? The main reason why I want a new OS eventually, is to keep up with current programs (read: games), and also to enable the use of more RAM. As you know, 2GB is maximum with XP.

The thing is, though - I'd like to keep upgrading my old PC instead of buying a new one. It's fun. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 11:34

I have not fully decided whether to sell my old one, or keep it. Some stuff, like my HP Deskjet 5850 wireless printer won't work on Win 7; bastards.. :disagree:

It would still be a great PC for any kid, doing school stuff, or web searching etc.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Dec 2010, 11:51

@GreatEmerald
GreatEmerald wrote:
Pol wrote:32bits to 32bits only.
That kinda defeats the whole purpose of getting it in the first place.
>>
You can install Windows from Windows when keeping your documents intact and also most of programs. 32bits to 32bits only.
If you want 64bits from 32bits DIY* manually!
The Documents aren't problem the programs are.

@Variol
If it's working after install never change it. :D
It would still be a great PC for any kid, doing school stuff, or web searching etc.
It's kinda old for today web browsing and writing docs. But it's usable. As a second option, could be used - if needed. Optimized.

@Kalah
The thing is, though - I'd like to keep upgrading my old PC instead of buying a new one. It's fun.
I envy the amount of your free time K. :P
Every minute..
Why? The main reason why I want a new OS eventually, is to keep up with current programs (read: games), and also to enable the use of more RAM. As you know, 2GB is maximum with XP.
Let me to correct your statement, they say picture is worthy of thousands words:

If you want over 4GB barrier then you need 64bits OS. And that's probably advisable. :)

But need to say that there are less troubles with 32bits OSes due to better drivers (graphic card and sound sometimes and some 3rd party framework libraries). Also if you will buy upgrade W7Pro/Pre instead of one medium you will receive both and can choose freely what you will install. Both 32&64bits Windows are included. With OEM you will get only one version. Still the code will be valid for both bits variations.
Last edited by Pol on 26 Dec 2010, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 12:07

I reeeeealy appreciate the assistance Pol!!

I notice that the SATA drive is not recognized. Would this be due to the IDE cable, connector 2 and/or lack of jumper on the IDE HDD? I have connector 1 plugged in right now. After the "72" updates, which are currently running (just finished) I can change the cable and put the jumper back.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Dec 2010, 12:30

In pure theory IDE/SATA interfaces shouldn't interfere but you may try it. :)

However before, try to look under "Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management" and see if you can initialize and format the invisible drive.

You don't need to do that if you don't see the drive physically listed in "Device Manager".

But you should ensure that the SATA controller is enabled in bios. It may not be so, you will for sure see it in the manual - in the one of the last pages which I listed.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 13:33

It does not show the SATA drive at all. I will check the manual, because I could not find where to enable it in the CMOS...

CMOS looks fine, but not exactly like the manual shows?? Still not seeing it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Dec 2010, 14:15

Yeap, the limit is 4GB RAM (actually, 4GB minus hardware reserves) and it's not in XP, but in 32-bit systems.

Getting a x64 system also helps with performance when you have more than one core and lots of memory. And it helps a lot.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Dec 2010, 16:31

Variol wrote:It does not show the SATA drive at all. I will check the manual, because I could not find where to enable it in the CMOS...

CMOS looks fine, but not exactly like the manual shows?? Still not seeing it.
Probably under "Advanced Settings" there should be setting: "Sata Controller: Enabled."

You don't need to look for it, if you see the disk in the bios, if not - check out that one. ;)
"We made it!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Dec 2010, 19:15

Just got the SATA cable I needed to connect my new hard drive and it's formatting as we speak. (Jeesh, it takes forever to do on Win7! Should have booted into GPartEd instead :\ )

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Dec 2010, 21:53

There's a limit of 2GB RAM in XP, isn't there? I thought that was all the OS could use, so if you put more in, it doesn't matter.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Dec 2010, 22:03

Nope. You're mixing something up:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
The limit is 4 GB on 32bit, 128GB on 64bit.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Dec 2010, 23:50

"Advanced Settings"

Are you referring to Windows or CMOS here?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Dec 2010, 00:22

Huh, so I can put that last 1GB in, to get me 3GB? I guess this is what confused me.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 27 Dec 2010, 02:39

doh!
I just found a disc in my MB box. There was a utility on there for the SATA driver. I ran it and it looks like it is seeing it now. It does see it as a SCSI device though. Does that matter?
Last edited by Variol on 27 Dec 2010, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 27 Dec 2010, 14:09

Windows XP always recognized my internal SATA drive as a SCSI drive. I always had the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area, despite not being able to conveniently remove it.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Dec 2010, 20:13

@Variol
"Advanced Settings"

Are you referring to Windows or CMOS here?
BIOS (or CMOS how you're calling. But it's only memory where bios data are stored.)
Variol wrote:doh!
I just found a disc in my MB box. There was a utility on there for the SATA driver. I ran it and it looks like it is seeing it now. It does see it as a SCSI device though. Does that matter?
No! It may be overlay driver. Just a few boards need it. Everything is fine! :D

@Kalah
Huh, so I can put that last 1GB in, to get me 3GB? I guess this is what confused me.
Put it here, ti will be used!
2GB is limit per individual application not per system. And you can overcome it in some cases. So the only limit which matters for you is 4GB border line.
"We made it!"

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Jan 2011, 13:20

About the HDD, I am now thinking about buying an external drive instead ...

An internal drive is better since it means less cables and stuff on the outside, but I imagine that an external drive could be less hassle when getting it to work.

I just fear that I might buy the internal drive, and then there's lots of work trying to install it ... whereas an external drive is just plug-and-play.

:?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Jan 2011, 17:47

Kalah wrote:About the HDD, I am now thinking about buying an external drive instead ...

An internal drive is better since it means less cables and stuff on the outside, but I imagine that an external drive could be less hassle when getting it to work.

I just fear that I might buy the internal drive, and then there's lots of work trying to install it ... whereas an external drive is just plug-and-play.

:?
If it is for system buy internal. If it is for data/media get external. The external drive is much more slower, limited by usb interface. You also cannot install easily system on it. Generally speaking the internal drive is much less hassles in long time view but simply not meant to be portable.
"We made it!"

Return to “Campfire”