MAP TESTERS NEEDED NOW!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 21 Dec 2010, 14:01

Yurian have made a rebalance and a graphical update to the map, I will send it to you right away, and also add the extra town :) Check your email in like... 1 minute? :)
"By the power of Zelas!"

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 21 Dec 2010, 14:06

OK sent you the map, tell me which one you like the best. The first one or the last one. I want this to be a little christmas challange for everyone
:)

If anyone else wants to, talk to me and an updated map will come your way!
"By the power of Zelas!"

Coconut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Coconut » 22 Dec 2010, 11:47

Hi HeroOfPunk,

Sorry, I was too tired to play the new map, after a short night and the morning job.
I only managed a look, and played the start a few times. The start is different now. I couldn't build up my castle as swiftly this time. Compared to the first version I played it's just a few resources less, but still a big difference to what I was able to build.
The map being less open affected this as well. In the earlier version one could roam almost anywhere, but now some guards of structures are also blocking the path, making collecting the resources more difficult. I preferred the openness of the first map - the fact that you could freely move around. You could still get the free movement back by here and there getting rid of the odd stone or tree to free the pasage again, if you wish.
What the first map also had is two chests of gold nearby, which made it easier to hire a second hero for the first exploration. I think the map is just as fine with that second hero not being possible early, but again it is something that makes collecting resources more difficult.

It can still be fine, a slow start, that has to be said, but I was really happy with the progression in the first map, and everything I said in my first response doesn't necessarily hold for the new one, as too many factors have been changed.
There's something that I feel I need to mention as well; right the first time I started exploring I stumbled across the refugee camp in the east. I was able to buy... a Devil! Apart from the fact that it's strange to have more difficulty to build up a castle but now being able to buy a strong creature from a dwelling, a Devil - or any 'bad' creature - doesn't fit in this Christmas story so well. Any other structure here would have been better, me thinks.

Another point; on one of my starts I went straight south, came to Red's castle and took it on day 8; it was completely undefended. I never saw Red again the following week. That's what you'll want to prevent from happening as well; you don't want Red gone so soon. Okay, I knew the map, and that makes the exploit easier, but a few red garrisons with unmovable units nearby the castle would stop this - or some other block, it's up to the map maker, but I think a fix is needed.
You could also consider, after having protected Red, to nerf them a bit in the first week or first couple of weeks, and then beef them up a bit. Normally I saw a red hero already after a matter of days - really early. It's perhaps nicer to give the human player a few weeks of quiet exploration before Red comes onto the scene. Not needed, but personally I would prefer it that way.

I can't tell you which of the two versions I prefer, because I haven't played the second one enough. I have a hunch the smaller stacks of independants in the later game will work out better. I'm guessing it doesn't make the map easier, because I think that depends more on your available resources early on and on Red.
The map painting of the second map is much more refined and 'finished', while in the first map the painting was more basic, but I find both styles good.

Hell, you're leaving tomorrow already! You'll want something uploaded soon, wahhh! No time for nitpicking and discussions. I guess you'll just have to throw something at the fans that is the best thing you can do at the moment, and accept that an update is almost unevitable. Your head might be spinning, but I can think of worse crimes than a Christmas present that is missing some final touches.
Well, everybody knows the best Christmas presents always arrive in Februari! :devil: :-D
Last edited by Coconut on 22 Dec 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 22 Dec 2010, 12:28

Ok dude, I will talk to Yurian about this and we shall decide what to do before sending it in :)
"By the power of Zelas!"

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 22 Dec 2010, 13:51

Map done, now sending it in!
"By the power of Zelas!"

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 22 Dec 2010, 17:24

"By the power of Zelas!"

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

German fan site announces a Map of the Month competition

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 09 Jan 2011, 16:23

Update on the 9th of January in the 18th Year of the United States of Europe

( 2011 AD for those of you who live outside this "Sui Generis" Organization)

The German version of the A Sighisoara Christmas map has been up for a while, and it has so far seen one minor update. The real news is that a German fan site called Drachenwald has named the map as the Map of the Month and they have announced a competition, too. :) Victory object: who shall finish the single scenario fastest. Be fast and be furious. ;)

Follow this link to get there:

http://forum.drachenwald.net/index.php? ... eadID=7440

The Sighisoara Team wishes you the best gaming experience.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”