Stronghold Revealed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
agni
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby agni » 16 Dec 2010, 11:28

am i the only one who could care less about the art but worried sick about the gameplay and units' individuality? The last thing i want is just another faction that is exactly like all others, having some with immunity, some with flying, some with shooting and some with magic.

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 16 Dec 2010, 15:17

Harpies have no set appearance, but historically they look very much like that! In the medieval pictures I've seen of them they are all bare chested, at least UBI gave them some modesty :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Dec 2010, 23:49

grendel99 wrote:Harpies have no set appearance, but historically they look very much like that! In the medieval pictures I've seen of them they are all bare chested, at least UBI gave them some modesty :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy
I guess Ubi wouldn't want to lose some money because of an 18+ rated game. B-)
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Dec 2010, 06:47

grendel99 wrote:In the medieval pictures
Hint: that's about 1500 years too late.
agni wrote:am i the only one who could care less about the art but worried sick about the gameplay and units' individuality? The last thing i want is just another faction that is exactly like all others, having some with immunity, some with flying, some with shooting and some with magic.
Nah, you're just the only one who hasn't given up on such crazy dreams... saay hi to balance.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

agni
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby agni » 17 Dec 2010, 13:04

maybe it's because i'm a solo-player, but i could honestly care less about balance. i want different game play experience when i play different factions, not something that's more or less the same. maybe that's why I actually LIKED hommv ;)

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 17 Dec 2010, 15:50

"Hint: that's about 1500 years too late. "

Wheres my roll your eyes emoticon...Thanks for "harping" on word choice, I stand corrected, change out middle ages for ancient, cus they still look similar..

Anyways, new pics are out..showing more of the units, unfortunately they seem more orc like then I would care for..

http://pressakey.com/news,1602,Might-an ... hots,.html

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Dec 2010, 15:56

@grendel99

Really... care to post some pics of that, coz i'm willing to bet most if not all ancient represantations are either birds with human heads or have a full body toga on them. Or they're actually Sirens...
agni wrote:maybe it's because i'm a solo-player, but i could honestly care less about balance. i want different game play experience when i play different factions, not something that's more or less the same. maybe that's why I actually LIKED hommv ;)

Tell that to the devs, they're the ones that said this will be the best balanced heroes etc.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 17 Dec 2010, 17:08

History lesson time! When Homer wrote of sirens he was actually getting their image from the older harpy myth, he just made them beautiful, where as the harpy was ugly. If you look at ancient Greek sculptures, they are mostly in the nude, that is reflected in their pictures as well. While I have yet to see a picture of a harpy in a toga, which btw would not invalidate my argument that they look similar under that toga to the ones that UBI designed, I leave it up to you.

BTW, in an internet argument it was left up to you to provide pictures where they did not look like that, then I would provide counter.

But I will provide anyways, this was just done on a quick Google search, but as in the story of the harpy, one was said to be a mother to a human, and I can't imagine it doing that without some anatomical pieces.

Either way, in Heroes 3 the harpy had breast and was similar in design to hereos 6. So I don't get why you care so much about it, if anything UBI was being consistent with past Heroes games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy_Tomb

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 20&bih=955
Edited on Fri, Dec 17 2010, 12:08 by grendel99

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 17 Dec 2010, 17:11

Dunno Why it added it 3 times after I made one edit...

Multiple posts deleted. -- QQD

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby hellegennes » 17 Dec 2010, 17:15

grendel99: But I will provide anyways, this was just done on a quick Google search, but as in the story of the harpy, one was said to be a mother to a human, and I can't imagine it doing that without some anatomical pieces.

You are talking about mythology. Zeus splitting over his head with a hammer, giving birth to Athena, is not exactly anatomically logical. And H3, H4 and MM harpies were 100% different. They were consistent with the image of a harpy, whereas these ones do not have a body of bird at all. They are just women -whole body- with feathers. Okay, they have dinosaur toes also.

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 17 Dec 2010, 17:59

They have bird feet that are larger to fit the size of the beast, thats how bird feet look. Maybe thats why Jurassic Park had dinosaurs turning into birds.

And referring to heroes 3, the differences are color, and curved back, thats it. The harpy was human from head to crotch, and bird arms and feet.

He was saying that UBI was wrong to give them breasts, I was saying that they did in Hereos 3.

Either way, it was a myth that was written down and is up to anyones interpretation on how they look. Gorgon with head of a human and body of a bird, can be interpreted in many ways...

I'm just amazed that it's only on celestial that people hate on it so much, the other site people love it.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 17 Dec 2010, 18:09

grendel99 wrote:Dunno Why it added it 3 times after I made one edit...
Because History repeats itself. :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

SplinterHoMM
Peasant
Peasant

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby SplinterHoMM » 17 Dec 2010, 22:20

Nice to see orcs will be in MMH6 from the start...

They look great to me, but of course stats and abilities are more important...

...still worried (even more) about elves...
Splinter sayings:
You must strike hard and fade away...

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind, there are few...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Dec 2010, 23:35

grendel99 wrote:<<History lesson time! When Homer wrote of sirens he was actually getting their image from the older harpy myth, he just made them beautiful, where as the harpy was ugly.>>
Dude, the picture you posted clearly says "Siren" under it... which where birds with female faces in the Odyssey.

And here are some women with wings from late antiquity: http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/P20.1.html

And if i remember right they where just described as winged women in the argonaut myths... of course i don't know if that's where they first showed up.

But of course when talking about myths nothing is certain, there are always many variants and perhaps you are right, harpies and sirens might share the same inspiration or whatnot... but if you want to prove it you need to come up with some better links (and if i want to prove my side i should also come up with some).

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 18 Dec 2010, 02:14

Ya, that first one was to show a siren, in the nude, the harpy tomb one was to show a harpy. That was confusing, heres the link to the harpy.

At least its good that after 6 iterations, people still feel strongly about heroes :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tomb_of_Kybernis.jpg
Edited on Fri, Dec 17 2010, 21:16 by grendel99

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Dec 2010, 09:47

Did you read the wiki article that pic is from? Coz it says most experts agree those werent harpies.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby hellegennes » 18 Dec 2010, 14:12

Like I've said before, the H6 designers have taken too much out of Blizzard's games. You can see the obvious similarity to the WoW harpies:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Harpy

Why, it's almost exactly the same! Now, with regards to mythology, you can either have the picture of a harpy not being a bird-woman (the ancient description) or the ugly-siren look (the subsequent description; late 6th century BC). This looks like that:

http://mythagora.com/encyctxt/images/harpy300.jpg

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 19 Dec 2010, 09:54

I kinda like that they'll be having to kick out some important factions. Either the wizards, elves or dungeon will make it. Fresh new start for a heroes game.

BTW; the other screenies showed a female centaur, I think an orge mage and something big which is passed about as a cyclops. That leaves room for 1 more unit.

I like this new direction, the jungle feel fits them.
Grah!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Dec 2010, 15:51

Thelonious wrote:I kinda like that they'll be having to kick out some important factions. Either the wizards, elves or dungeon will make it. Fresh new start for a heroes game.
That is a two-edged sword, elves to me are a core HoMM unit and their absence would be a major setback. I will miss the wizards (please go back to the H-III or H-IV wizard/order and not that H-V abomination) and dungeon. No elves mean I may not buy it until they are added in by an expansion. With the announced units including the dungeon would place too much weight on for lack of a better term ‘evil’ (ok I know evil is not right) factions. With only the haven as a force of nature and life, again not completely accurate, but I hope you catch my drift. For balance the elves almost have to be in. You might have guessed I base my views from an H-IV perspective as I see H-V a bad dream that I will eventually wake up from. If they wanted a fresh start, why not a swamp town from H-III. Elves or no elves give us an H-IV quality editor (ok, improved) and I will be in.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 20 Dec 2010, 16:48

@ jeff:

Sure, I agree, it's a two edged sword and I would have loved to see inferno kicked out as it a bland faction (story wise and the story makes 'em bland stratagy wise aswell - see other threads for my thoughts on that) but it's nice to see they dare to make a bold decision. As for possible factions: elves and wizards are interesting loretimewise (wizards cause necro's and orcs rebelling and elves because they are splitting and part of them are siding with the faceless which ties 'em to the main story(?))

As for your hopes: there are many speculating about a naga faction; I for one am not so sure... and the editor will not feature a RMG because it has to be 'easy to use and complete' so perhaps there will be a good editor.
Grah!

Return to “News”