MM7: Is abusing the wishing well in Eofol cheating?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

MM7: Is abusing the wishing well in Eofol cheating?

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 12 Oct 2010, 10:14

Hope you don't mind that I've quite a few questions these days.

As far as I remember there is a wishing well in Eofol, right next to the Arms Master grandmaster trainer. In earlier games I used it with the clerics Day Of Protection to avoid the negative effects like death or stone. That way I used to level my group up to around level 100-120.

1.) Do you use the wishing well in the Land of the Giants (Eofol)? If so, do you use it often/repeatedly? Do you consider it cheating to "abuse" the well like I did?

My new group(A/A/A/C), about level 20, is killing and looting the dragons in Tatalia(Paladin->Crusader promotion) to get well equipped and to gain experience.

2.) Have you ever used the dragons that spawn in Wromthrax's Cave when resting to get experience and equipment for your characters?

Thanks.

Edit: Just another unrelated Question I just thought of.

How can I run MM7 in windowed mode? I changed the MM7Setup to Software 3D and windowed, but it still opens in full screen.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 12 Oct 2010, 10:55

1.) Do you use the wishing well in the Land of the Giants (Eofol)? If so, do you use it often/repeatedly? Do you consider it cheating to "abuse" the well like I did?
Ye it is sort of exploiting imo since it can be done infinitely(well it is using mechanics correctly but stll), but then again if you are in eofol then its pretty much game over anyway so doesn't matter that much.
My new group(A/A/A/C), about level 20, is killing and looting the dragons in Tatalia(Paladin->Crusader promotion) to get well equipped and to gain experience.

2.) Have you ever used the dragons that spawn in Wromthrax's Cave when resting to get experience and equipment for your characters?
Not really exploiting apart from fact that just dodging every shot and shooting for solid five minutes is quite tedious, also if you dont reload you spend damn much time for successful resting tries. If you reload... well as everything with forced reloading.Anyway there is much faster ways to get endgame gear without killing dragons like turning pink ore found commonly on the ground( in bracada) for weapons, it can give best items in game. If you mean dragon double looting and reloading then its an exploit fair and square.

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 12 Oct 2010, 11:08

tress wrote:Not really exploiting apart from fact that just dodging every shot and shooting for solid five minutes is quite tedious, also if you dont reload you spend damn much time for successful resting tries. If you reload... well as everything with forced reloading.Anyway there is much faster ways to get endgame gear without killing dragons like turning pink ore found commonly on the ground( in bracada) for weapons, it can give best items in game. If you mean dragon double looting and reloading then its an exploit fair and square.
1-3 dragons spawn at every attempt to rest, as long as you have Charles Quixote with you and don't kill Wromthrax.

You don't need to dodge, if you rest in that niche at the exit of the cave and then just move around the corner. From there you can kill the dragons easily and quickly in melee without retaliation.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 12 Oct 2010, 11:55

There is no such thing as cheating in war. :) :) :) :)
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 12 Oct 2010, 11:59

There is no such thing as cheating in war.
Someone is taking game way too seriously :P, besides if we define breaking the rules as cheating then there is quite alot cheating in war.
without retaliation.
Thats exploitation in my book definitely. Unless I want to arm my team for sake of it, like get max number of artifacts ,but point where enemy cant hurt you is just shortcoming on game devs part.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 12 Oct 2010, 13:18

tress wrote:
There is no such thing as cheating in war.
Someone is taking game way too seriously :P, besides if we define breaking the rules as cheating then there is quite alot cheating in war.
without retaliation.
Thats exploitation in my book definitely. Unless I want to arm my team for sake of it, like get max number of artifacts ,but point where enemy cant hurt you is just shortcoming on game devs part.
I would consider abusing the dragons that spawn when you rest as cheating, because it is not behaving in a realistic fashion to do that.

But to use the wishing well to avoid negative effects in combination with a Cleric Spell is not cheating. It's just a clever means of defeating enemies, as I said "there is no cheating in war".

Only abusing the game mechanics to deliberately create enemies to defeat to get experience and money is really cheating.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Oct 2010, 13:34

My view: It's a single-player game. There is no such thing as cheating in SP. So do whatever you think is right, or fun.

About windowed mode: set desktop colour resolution to 16bit, then launch the game and hit F4. You don't need software rendering for it.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 12 Oct 2010, 14:05

IMHO, in a single-player game, cheating is whatever the player defines it to be. Just don't brag about your great ability if it is all based on exploits.

It's similar to using a faq/walkthrough for an adventure game. One of my greatest notes of pride in adventure games is having solved MYST without any outside help.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 12 Oct 2010, 15:13

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:IMHO, in a single-player game, cheating is whatever the player defines it to be. Just don't brag about your great ability if it is all based on exploits.

It's similar to using a faq/walkthrough for an adventure game. One of my greatest notes of pride in adventure games is having solved MYST without any outside help.
I like my M&M6 playthrough with a solo level 1 Knight.

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 12 Oct 2010, 22:03

There are plenty of exploits in that game, from loydds beaconing out of a tight spot, wall blocking spells in melee to that damn well :)

what ever is fun, you play it that way. started to continue my 4 warrior party in MM6 aiming a full world clear. I can't believe how much I still love mm6-8!

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 14 Oct 2010, 08:22

GreatEmerald wrote:My view: It's a single-player game. There is no such thing as cheating in SP. So do whatever you think is right, or fun.

About windowed mode: set desktop colour resolution to 16bit, then launch the game and hit F4. You don't need software rendering for it.
There is technically such a thing as cheating in Single Player. It's changing the rules by using command prompts to for instance make you immortal.
Bowerbank wrote: There are plenty of exploits in that game, from loydds beaconing out of a tight spot, wall blocking spells in melee to that damn well smile

what ever is fun, you play it that way. started to continue my 4 warrior party in MM6 aiming a full world clear. I can't believe how much I still love mm6-8!
The game is practically unwinnable without exploiting at least some features of the game world. You seem to have to be very smart to win in Might and Magic, or just unrealistically patient and willing to suspend realism (1 year on a single quest due to all those rests).

Brute force always seems to favour the monsters from the onset, you have to use brain to make up for it.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 14 Oct 2010, 11:21

Eofol?

Dont you mean Land of The Giants?

That wall with grandmaster Protect from magic is CHEATING

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 14 Oct 2010, 13:18

Sure Valla wrote:Eofol?

Dont you mean Land of The Giants?

That wall with grandmaster Protect from magic is CHEATING
Where is Eofol?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2010, 13:34

If you're calling it ""abuse"yourself i think you should know what it is...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 14 Oct 2010, 13:48

But to use the wishing well to avoid negative effects in combination with a Cleric Spell is not cheating. It's just a clever means of defeating enemies, as I said "there is no cheating in war".
Cheating under such definition is messing in hex code of game/trainers. Of course well does work according to game mechanics, but that's clearly exploit and shortcoming in terms of game. For example in fallout you can use limitless amount of stimpaks from inventory, without wasting action points or wasting left hand slot. Cheating or clever use of mechanics since going into inventory costs ap anyway? Guess identification of item #9 in wizardry 1 is clever mechanic too since they even left it for later game releases.
Definition of cheating in single player game is really slippery subject, but some mmorpg provide quite interesting definition - Using tactics that trivializes game is considered exploit.
Then again who cares as long as you are not trying to pass your high score as achievment.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Oct 2010, 14:35

Land of the Giants is a part of Eeofol.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Oct 2010, 16:35

GreatEmerald wrote:Land of the Giants is a part of Eeofol.
Something tells me the Halflings lived in the other parts of Eofol :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 16 Oct 2010, 13:17

TheAnyKey wrote:Where is Eofol?
I think you mean 'the Tunnels to Eofol'. Its a place between the Thunderfist mountain and Land of the Giants. A cruel place with Medusa's and crushing Behemoths.

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 16 Oct 2010, 17:14

Sure Valla wrote:
TheAnyKey wrote:Where is Eofol?
I think you mean 'the Tunnels to Eofol'. Its a place between the Thunderfist mountain and Land of the Giants. A cruel place with Medusa's and crushing Behemoths.
I know the tunnels to Eofol. But I would have guessed that when I go through the tunnels to Eofol I am in Eofol.

Don't the tunnels to Eofol lead to Eofol?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Oct 2010, 19:18

Yeap. Specifically, to the Land of the Giants.

Return to “Might and Magic”