Mysteries (of World but not Web)

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Mysteries (of World but not Web)

Unread postby Pol » 17 Sep 2007, 21:47

I thought that would be nice to having place for collecting mysteries and insights, so I created this one. As they spurr human imagination, create legends and most of them determine way how is man thinking. Ultimatively leaving all others knowledge behind.

I'll start with what I have currently in my head where the source was simple local news of Sweden-Czech TV. :D

Which is Codex Gigax. * That one is from thirteen century (and could be older as well), it's quite spacious on the book (92x52cm) - hence on of its names, it's having very regular writing and it's consisting of Old Testament, New Testament, legends, chronic, receipts and many other counterparts as well as of nice image of devil. That wine product (maybe) is appearently looking like mix of white man, black man, goat and eagle (notice please, that here's not ape in, nor the lion or dragon or any sort of bug - that can be mythologically criticall). In one word, could be called like rich monk's handbook. Even credencials of his majors were included. From them we know exactly who were other monastery monkmates but not the author. (Here's also tied legend with.)

Image Image

The Codex is really monstrous to the date, some people also suspect it (hypothesis, hypothesis) from being printed or stamped for that perfect lineary regular letters. I'm unsure if it was digitized or not but it's planned. Looking so back then you should be able to buy yourself a small kingdom for such a perfectly phenomenal book. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Sep 2007, 23:46

Well, Nostradamus is a bit of a mystery .... kook or mystic? will we ever really know? Does it really matter?

and then there are the sceptics .... will anything convince them it's true in any case?
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 18 Sep 2007, 03:28

asandir wrote:Well, Nostradamus is a bit of a mystery .... kook or mystic?
Neither. He's a fraud.
will we ever really know?

Yep. We already do.
Does it really matter?
Not really.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Sep 2007, 07:04

The Voynich manuscrip is a mysterious illustrated book with incomprehensible contents. It is thought to have been written between approximately 1450 and 1520 by an unknown author in an unidentified script and language.

Over its recorded existence, the Voynich manuscript has been the object of intense study by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including some top American and British codebreakers of World War II fame (all of whom failed to decipher a single word). This string of failures has turned the Voynich manuscript into a famous subject of historical cryptology, but it has also given weight to the theory that the book is simply an elaborate hoax — a meaningless sequence of arbitrary symbols.

The book is named after the Polish-American book-dealer Wilfrid M. Voynich, who acquired it in 1912. As of 2005, the Voynich manuscript is item MS 408 in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library of Yale University. The first facsimile edition was published in 2005.

The text consists of over 170,000 discrete glyphs, usually separated from each other by thin gaps. Most of the glyphs are written with one or two simple pen strokes. While there is some dispute as to whether certain glyphs are distinct or not, an alphabet with 20–30 glyphs would account for virtually all of the text; the exceptions are a few dozen rarer characters that occur only once or twice each.

The illustrations of the manuscript shed little light on its contents, but imply that the book consists of six "sections", with different styles and subject matter. Except for the last section, which contains only text, almost every page contains at least one illustration. The sections, and their conventional names, are:

Herbal — each page displays one plant, sometimes two(unambiguously identifiable.), and a few paragraphs of text.

Astronomical — contains circular diagrams, some of them with suns, moons, and stars.

Biological — a dense continuous text interspersed with figures, mostly showing small nude women bathing in pools or tubs connected by an elaborate network of pipes, some of them clearly shaped like body organs.

Cosmological — more circular diagrams, but of an obscure nature.

Pharmaceutical — many labeled drawings of isolated plant parts (roots, leaves, etc.).

Recipes — many short paragraphs, each marked with a flower-like (or star-like) "bullet".

I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Sep 2007, 09:44

:D Good at least we may start to translate it right away. I guess it shouldn't be so hard as some sequences are repeating very often. Because here are full digital scans.

Now if I know what is on that pictures and the language, of course. That's base, you cannot decrypt if you don't know some part of the text.

Here's another famous and mysterious thing. From the times of ancient Greece, reminding some school tool - it is Phaistos Disc.

Image Image

It's illustrate, and very good, shell nature of its author. Could be that's one of first fantasy, or how it was called in ancient times, 'legend memo book'. Looks very much like done for kids or monks or young students... Text is probably starting from the centre (kind of CD rom way)

It could say: "In times of ancient flowers, when one would want to bring them in his home, he must walk on long long journey...

..or maybe not, but the flower symbol and the knob are once again repating kind of often.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Sep 2007, 10:57

asandir wrote: and then there are the skeptics .... will anything convince them it's true in any case?
You're not a skeptic if you can't be convinced by proof... you're just in zaNile.

And is it just me or is the Devil wearing Pampers?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Sep 2007, 11:48

ThunderTitan wrote:And is it just me or is the Devil wearing Pampers?!
Are you sure that is good idea to revealing such secrets to uninitiated members? :thinkingdeeply_mmm:

Or are you just trying to flapping out like with that 'anti-phedophilian' bible?

Anyone knows, that these are diapers, and painting people with diapers was a common style in Middle Ages. This is very serious.

Umm, TT, any of your own interpretations of the texts above, I would like to know if you had advanced ;)
"We made it!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Sep 2007, 19:48

I would like to know if you had advanced
I got out of diapers a while back actually...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Sep 2007, 19:56

ThunderTitan wrote:
:rofl:
"We made it!"

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2007, 23:53

ThunderTitan wrote:
pity you still like to suck the occasional dummy .... take that how you will

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Sep 2007, 00:06

A classic one.

The philosopher's stone, in Latin lapis philosophorum, is a mythical substance that supposedly could turn inexpensive metals into gold and/or create an elixir that would make humans younger, thus delaying death. It was a longtime "holy grail" of Western alchemy. In the mystic view of alchemy, making the philosopher's stone would bring enlightenment upon the maker and conclude the Great Work. It is also known by several other names, such as materia prima.

Transmutation of Metals

The concept apparently originated from the theories of the 8th century Islamic alchemist Geber. He analyzed each Aristotelian element in terms of four basic qualities of hotness, coldness, dryness, and moistness. Thus, fire was both hot and dry, earth cold and dry, water cold and moist, and air hot and moist. He further theorized that every metal was a combination of these four principles, two of them interior and two exterior.

From this premise, it was reasoned that the transmutation of one metal into another could be effected by the rearrangement of its basic qualities. This change would presumably be mediated by a substance, which came to be called al-iksir in Arabic (from which comes the Western term "elixir"). It was often imagined as a dry powder, made from a mythical stone - the "philosopher's stone". The stone was believed to have been composed of a substance called carmot.

Geber's theory and the concept of the philosopher's stone may have been inspired by the knowledge that metals like gold and silver could be hidden in alloys and ores, from which they could be recovered by the appropriate chemical treatment. Geber himself is believed to be the inventor of aqua regia, a mixture of muriatic and nitric acids, which is one of the few substances that can dissolve gold (and is still often used for gold recovery and purification).

The Stone as a Spiritual Metaphor

Alchemy has always made extensive use of analogy, symbolism, and so forth to relate chemical and physical concepts to esoteric and mystic ones. In some epochs and contexts, these metaphysical aspects came to predominate, and the chemical processes were then viewed as mere symbols of spiritual processes.

In this hermetic side of alchemy, the "philosopher's stone", supposed to to be the most tangible and dense crystalization or condensation of a subtle substance, became a metaphor for an inner potential of the spirit and reason to evolve from a lower state of imperfection and vice (symbolized by the base metals) to a higher state of enlightenment and perfection (symbolized by gold). In this view, spiritual elevation, the transmutation of metals, and the purification and rejuvenation of the body were seen to be manifestations of the same concept.

The mystical revival in the late 20th century renovated the public interest on alchemy, and particularly on this metaphysical and philosophical conception of the philosopher's stone - which is now subscribed by many people, especially within several New Age movements.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Sep 2007, 22:08

asandir wrote: pity you still like to suck the occasional dummy .... take that how you will
I'll take it with some notes... like WHAT?! Is this some auusie thing?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Sep 2007, 00:35

ThunderTitan wrote:
asandir wrote: pity you still like to suck the occasional dummy .... take that how you will
I'll take it with some notes... like WHAT?! Is this some auusie thing?
maybe :devious:

but that's a mystery for a different place

Pol
Admin
Admin

Curiosities, Interesting things ~inspired by Banedon :-)

Unread postby Pol » 10 Oct 2010, 12:21

PREFACE
So, deep deep in the Syberia lies ancient Fortress. Built millenia ago by a forgotten and forsaken race, pushed to the last small island of theirs empire.

Truth or fiction?

Well, sticking to the facts, the fortress actually exist. See here

Was it fortress, truly?
Was the level on water/ice lower before 1500yrs?

I must say that I found such place extremly interesting, same is going for Celtic Oppidums.
Last edited by Pol on 04 Jul 2012, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Oct 2010, 15:18

Not sure it would be very effective, as siege tactics would be easy to implement. There is no way agriculture on that small left over piece of land could support the city.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Oct 2010, 16:03

There was different environment then. I bet that we see only very small offset of what that had been. Not sure if it was fortress as well. But you know, here are railways on Malta, so in ancient times everything was possible. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Oct 2010, 16:09

Could it be built by the Huns, I wonder ... ?

Unlikely, since they were nomadic. Perhaps in connection with defending against warring tribes?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Oct 2010, 16:51

Probably not, there were surprisingly many cultures in some regions - this being one of them (Syberia + Malta + & more.. ), which were technically advanced - like other contemporary top civilizations or little more in some fields, writing 'books' and yet we don't now anything about.

They disappeared. Theirs writings, the culture ..but genetically they are still among us. ;)
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Dec 2010, 23:56

When was this discovered?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Dec 2010, 21:40

That's a good question. But I know only what was written in that article.

However I remember some bw photos from not so different article. Perhaps. But I don't remember the link.
Last edited by Pol on 04 Jul 2012, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"

Return to “Campfire”