DRM for Heroes of Might and Magic 6

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Roman
Pixie
Pixie

DRM for Heroes of Might and Magic 6

Unread postby Roman » 01 Oct 2010, 14:18

Is there any information yet on what DRM will be used on Heroes of Might and Magic 6? I have bought and enjoyed HOMM 5 and TotE a lot, but I outright refuse to purchase games that use online-based DRM systems, due to the artificial obsolescence they have built-in (once the company retires the servers, goes bankrupt, etc. the game artificially and automatically becomes obsolescent). Ubisoft has become well-known for imposing a particularly draconian onlin DRM system and I essentially stopped following its games once it became clear they didn't plan to remove it in the near future.

I have only now heard of the announcement of HOMM 6 (since I wasn't paying attention to the company's games anymore) and am wondering if Ubisoft has changed policy on this matter or announced what DRM will be on HOMM 6. If it has changed, I will take more time to learn about the game to see if it seems like an improvement on HOMM 5, but if online DRM remains, there is no point to me trying to learn about and follow the game, since I won't be buying it anyway. So does anybody have any information on this matter? Thanks!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: DRM for Heroes of Might and Magic 6

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Oct 2010, 15:07

Roman wrote:Is there any information yet on what DRM will be used on Heroes of Might and Magic 6?
Only this so far:
- No news about a DRM but we and the devs are on the same page...
- Share with the community: Post content & compete with your friends using a new and intelligent, online community interface (to me this sound like online connection will be needed anyway).
- Copy protection is not decide yet, but should not be like in Assassin's Creed II.
Last edited by Avonu on 01 Oct 2010, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Oct 2010, 15:09

FAQ wrote:* What about DRM..?
Elvin wrote:The dev team have nothing to do with it I'm afraid, however I have good reason to believe the game will not have it.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 01 Oct 2010, 15:10

We don't know and the dev team doesn't know either. It will be Ubisoft's marketing team's decision, not the dev team.
Ubisoft has started working with Steam though, so this might replace the DRM (like it does for Civilization 5)

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 01 Oct 2010, 15:25

Thanks guys - it does at least sound somewhat hopeful on this front. AC II Draconian DRM (DDRM) was probably the worst system around, but I am strict with my no-online requirement boycott rule (it was the reason I didn't purchase Civilization V [Steam is still online-based DRM, though nowhere near as strict as Ubisoft's online DDRM], for example, though I have been a fan of the franchise from its inception). Hopefully, they will use a disc check and/or a CD-key as an option for those of us who cannot abide online-based (and thus auto-obsolescence inducing) DRM.

Since they won't use the Assassin's Creed II DDRM, I guess it is probably worth it to at least find out more about the game, rather than write it off right away. Of course, if they do decide to use a DRM system that requires an online connection, than it will have been for naught, but it seems there is hope they might not do that.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 01 Oct 2010, 15:50

Roman wrote: (it was the reason I didn't purchase Civilization V [Steam is still online-based DRM, though nowhere near as strict as Ubisoft's online DDRM]
You did a mistake then. You only need to be online to install the game and patches, but you can play in offline mode.

I really hope they'll go the Steam way for H6.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 01 Oct 2010, 15:56

Really hope not, Steam messes up COD:MW2 on so many levels its not funny/

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 01 Oct 2010, 16:33

Nelgirith wrote:
Roman wrote: (it was the reason I didn't purchase Civilization V [Steam is still online-based DRM, though nowhere near as strict as Ubisoft's online DDRM]
You did a mistake then. You only need to be online to install the game and patches, but you can play in offline mode.

Steam, for me, has the same basic disadvantage as Ubisoft's extreme DDRM: because it is online-based, it relies on the continued upkeep of the servers. This means that when the company decides to switch to a different DRM system, or ceases to support older games, or goes bankrupt, or the servers are shut down for some other reason, it is no longer possible to install or activate or play (depending on the exact type of online dependency) the game, thus making it automatically obsolescent.

Some people do not mind that all that much and hence have no problem with Steam. I would have no problem if Ubisoft offered a Steam version for those who like it, but that would not be a game I would buy, so hopefully they will provide a completely non-online based version too. I would only buy a game that doesn't require me to connect to a server to install/activate/play/etc. I don't mind if it has non-online based DRM, such as a disc-check or serial key or something like that.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 01 Oct 2010, 17:10

Roman wrote:I would have no problem if Ubisoft offered a Steam version for those who like it, but that would not be a game I would buy, so hopefully they will provide a completely non-online based version too.
That is not likely to happen.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 01 Oct 2010, 17:16

Nelgirith wrote:
Roman wrote:I would have no problem if Ubisoft offered a Steam version for those who like it, but that would not be a game I would buy, so hopefully they will provide a completely non-online based version too.
That is not likely to happen.
Well, that's very unfortunate, but if they don't provide a version that doesn't need to connect online, I will have to do without.

blakflag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blakflag » 22 Dec 2010, 16:23

People who are against DRM really need to give Steam a chance. It's SOOO much better than any other DRM mechanism. SO convenient (instead of inconvenient like other DRM). SO lenient (lets you install on as many machines as you want) SO much value (have you SEEN the prices they give things away for durning sales?? Holy crap!)

As for the online thing, you don't ALWAYS have to be online. Not even each time you play. You just need to "check in" every so often to make sure you're not just using it on 100 offline computers. "Connected" is just the way the world is now, so its best to take the good and the bad together and accept it.

Can't wait for Heroes VI!!!

EDIT: I forgot to add that Valve has always been a responsible company in my book, and they have promised that if they EVER stop supporting Steam, they will release unlocks that allow you to keep playing indefinitely.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2010, 16:32

People who don't have Internet connections on their gaming PC (like me) can't use Steam, no matter how "good" it is. ;|
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Dec 2010, 16:38

Just to clarify:
DRM means that you must have internet, in order to run the game; right?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2010, 19:42

Not all DRMs does that, obviously - but the Ubi online DRM policy says that, yes.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Dec 2010, 20:54

All i know is that the copy i'll be playing first won't have any DRM... so the DRM issue will only come up if i decided i like the game enough to buy it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Dec 2010, 20:56

Kalah wrote:People who don't have Internet connections on their gaming PC (like me) can't use Steam, no matter how "good" it is. ;|
Plug it in once and then use offline mode...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 30 Jun 2011, 16:55

Just read a comment from on a beta tester over on the official forums saying that the game requires a constant online connection if you wish to retain your heroes' profiles. I don't know what this means exactly, but it sounds as if you wanna play just a single-player map you don't have to be online. But if you're doing a campaign map, you'll have to be logged into Ubisoft's servers to access your hero. Sounds like online DRM through the backdoor and this has severely dampened my enthusiasm for the game to the point of me not wanting to buy it. Some clarification would be much appreciated....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jun 2011, 17:01

There's this feature where you can create your own hero and level it and other stuff up... and you need to be online for that.

Otherwise it looks like you can play normal games just fine.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 30 Jun 2011, 17:31

I have not, do not, and will not pay for embedded malware such as Steam or GWL, or any game that uses online DRM. Full stop.

Want my money? Then don't be a git!

cstu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cstu » 02 Jul 2011, 17:19

This really sucks if true.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”